Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 11:41 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How middle-class is Doherty really? I'm not familiar with the school zoning, just that the West Side is not universally affluent especially the closer to Park Ave. you get nearer to Webster Square, etc. Many of the wealthier/upper-middle-class families use private schools.
Doherty does contain some wealthy sections and some poorer sections.
It's 38% white - a lot higher than the directional HS
It's 34% hispanic - a lot lower
It's 49% economically disadvantaged
It's 60% high needs.

The state says economically disadvantaged if they get anything from a gov't agency (SNAP, MassHealth, foster care). So almost half the HS is most defiantly not middle class.

But in comparison: North is 75% disadvantaged. South is exactly 2/3. Burncoat is 75% (that's surprising to me)
Leicester High is 22.5% disadvantaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 11:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's 60% high needs.

The state says economically disadvantaged if they get anything from a gov't agency (SNAP, MassHealth, foster care). So almost half the HS is most defiantly not middle class.

But in comparison: North is 75% disadvantaged. South is exactly 2/3. Burncoat is 75% (that's surprising to me)
Burncoat is burdened by the rougher sections of Lincoln Ave / GBV. This said, I am surprised the test score and disadvantaged numbers favor South High, which includes Vernon Hill, Main South, and Webster Sq.

49% disadvantaged for Doherty High suggests, IMO, a lot of the middle and upper middle class residents of Tatnuck and Salisbury are taking the private route. That district is largely suburban residential outside of the multi fams off 122 and neighborhoods off Piedmont.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:33 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
It's 60% high needs.

Yeah that 49.5% vs. 22.5% Doherty vs. Leicester is an even bigger spread than I imagined, and remain perplexed at how close they both ranked academically.

I was also surprised to see Burncoat tied to North at 75%, and higher than South. I've heard awful things about both North and South, but not so much about Burncoat.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:11 AM

128 posts, read 57,318 times
Even on the West Side, the kids may go to St John's or St Paul's.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:57 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Also more likely middle-class people have noticeably fewer kids. So that adds to the private/catholic school flight.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Everyone in the city can't be bailing and sending their kids to private schools. Worcester could not even support separate St Peter-Marian and Holy Names high schools. They just closed one and merged the two as St Paul at the former Holy Name campus for this year. Two other Catholic schools, St Mary's which was K-12 and St Stephen's K-8 just closed last year as well.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:26 PM

319 posts, read 504,524 times
Quote:
It's 60% high needs.

Thank you so much for these statistics.

That really struck me! 60% high needs.

I need to rethink choices.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 PM

319 posts, read 504,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
Hello,

The family is considering returning back to MA this summer after over 14 years away and my how home prices have risen over that time. One thought for move is Worcester.

Thank you in advance.
Hello,

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses and valuable information.
Thought I would give an update.

When I wrote the first post, I worded it "considering" returning. At thus juncture, things
just got real. I received two job offers. I am very very thankful to be in a position of having
choice.

The two choices for work are Worcester area and in Coastal Maine, Portland area. Both have it's
drawbacks and benefits. My wife can literally work anywhere as she is a nurse.

The position in Maine is great, the offer is generous, and the people are very nice and down to earth.
For the position in Worcester area, the people are great, very nice, and down to earth. Their
offer is also generous.

The cost of living is concerning even in Central MA as I am coming from an area with a far
cheaper cost of living. I grew up in Boston and left MA newly married while finishing up in
school. I grew up in a modest household with things very scarce so in the
back of my mind is always some worry about living with things financially tight.

When you factor in the cost (deducted pre-tax) of healthcare plans for my family, the opportunity
in Maine effectively pays more. The general cost of living in Maine is lower.

Family and friends are closer in MA being the 1 to 1.5 hour drive to Boston from Worcester county.

But from Coastal Maine it is about 2 hours.

I work in a technical discipline so MA has much more opportunity around.

So now the tough choice happens.

If it is Central MA, taking in what many have said, I will look at Shrewsbury, and possibly Harvard.
It appears one can get a smaller home ( 1,300 - 1,500 square foot) in Shrewsbury or Westborough
for lower prices but they appear to sell VERY FAST.

Any opinions on Lancaster?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
If someone told me I could live in Portland Maine or Lancaster Mass... I'm picking Portland Maine. That is if you can afford Portland. Way prettier, more to do..everything.

There are three homes in Lancaster MA for sale. the cheapest one is 600,000 dollars. lol. https://www.trulia.com/MA/Lancaster/

Compare that to Portland and the decision has been made easy for you. https://www.trulia.com/ME/Portland/

Old 03-05-2021, 08:35 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
^ This.

Only reason to live in east central MA over Portland is because current and future employment demands it and/or you have a local social network you’re leaning on.

Public schools aren’t equivalent, but Yarmouth is decent and the COL is notable more affordable than the better Worcester ‘burbs.

Lancaster is fine, but I prefer Sterling. Lower tax rate, CO-OP power, and the housing stock is a bit more consistent. Schools perform slightly worse than Nashoba, but they’re still upper percentile within the a very high performing state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts