Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 03:33 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times

Advertisements

Apartments are listed on many sites: realtor.com, Facebook, craigslist, etc.

If you're working in Concord, I would probably look at Maynard, Hudson and Marlborough, to keep your rent under $2000. I see a few places in Hudson and Marlborough for under $1500, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 05:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Rent in Waltham or Cambridge.. Outbound commute will be tolerable. Your social life will thank you, unless you want isolation, in which case I'd recommend Concord or the immediate surroundings. Maybe DT Maynard?

Old 09-10-2021, 07:28 AM

1,022 posts, read 911,288 times
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I was able to find a decent basement apartment in Waltham for 1600 and I have contacted the realtor. Hopefully all goes well. I realize 75k isn't a lot for the area. In fact, it's about what I make here in VA. However, the job is in my field which doesn't have a lot of opportunity down here. I am working in healthcare at the moment, which is not what I went to school for. I am hoping with this position that soon I will be able to move up in salary with experience and more job opportunities in this area. I live rather modestly, own my car and don't have a lot of debt so I should be able to make it work. Thanks again for all of your help, you don't know how valuable it is. Trying to figure out where to live on short notice in a new town is tough especially when you don't even know commute patterns. I do have a cousin in the area that works at Harvard's law department but they said that they live about 45 min from Concord and aren't too familiar with that specific area.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:36 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,204,615 times
It shouldn't be an awful commute.

By the way, you are aware that you may have to come up with first, last, security, and broker fee when you move in. That could be $6,400.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It shouldn't be an awful commute.

By the way, you are aware that you may have to come up with first, last, security, and broker fee when you move in. That could be $6,400.
I am. Coincidentally, I have money saved as I would have been moving soon regardless as my lease is up at the end of October and I didn't plan to stay in the same apartment that I've been renting. The company is also helping with moving costs. Its a gamble but I think that things are falling into place for a reason. At 70k, for what I am doing, I am pretty much at the top of my earning potential here. By making this move 75k will be the low end, entry level of what I can potentially do with the experience. I feel like it's worth it.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-10-2021 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-11-2021, 12:48 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I am. Coincidentally, I have money saved as I would have been moving soon regardless as my lease is up at the end of October and I didn't plan to stay in the same apartment that I've been renting. The company is also helping with moving costs. Its a gamble but I think that things are falling into place for a reason. At 70k, for what I am doing, I am pretty much at the top of my earning potential here. By making this move 75k will be the low end, entry level of what I can potentially do with the experience. I feel like it's worth it.
I think you will be very happy in Waltham. Plenty of good and economical restaurants and a good night time bar scene. Commute to Concord is opposite traffic flow so should not be to bad. There are some "back ways" form Waltham to Concord. Look at out going out Trapelo Rd thru Lincoln. Look at going out Rte 117 and cutting over to Concord at several points. Of course there is always Rte 2 and not bad as you are going against traffic.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
I used to live close to Concord and while I loved the history and beautiful town setting, I wouldn't recommend it for a young single man who is totally new to town. I think you made a great choice with Waltham – it is really becoming a hotspot for post-college professionals and not at all too far to enjoy downtown Boston and Cambridge. Once you get to know the area, you'll have your favorite driving shortcuts too. Welcome to Massachusetts!

Old 09-16-2021, 10:04 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Very pretty drive from Waltham through Lincoln and into Concord, by the way.

Backroads > highway in that area, for sure.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:14 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Waltham to Concord for work should be really good for many reasons. Best wishes to OP.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:45 PM

313 posts, read 728,055 times
Another vote for Maynard. It's a cute little town, very safe, with an active downtown area on Friday and Saturday nights. 10 minute drive to Concord, at the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts