Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2024, 04:35 AM

3,433 posts, read 1,578,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I totally agree - I'd also be happy with 8 wins - that would be twice as many as last year, so a big improvement. You can make a pretty good argument that Maye shouldn't even play this coming season. Maye needs more development, and I think you also want to verify that the offensive line can actually do some blocking and the receivers can get open now and then before throwing Maye into the fire. Hopefully some of the many other changes would bear some
fruit though, even if Jakoby Brissett is the QB for the first year.
You never want to play a rookie QB the first year. If they did it with maye it would be double retarted. We have no offensive line. Why are people saying to play first year QBs the first year they join on this site? It's common knowledge you never
Do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 08:39 AM

12,575 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
You never want to play a rookie QB the first year. If they did it with maye it would be double retarted. We have no offensive line. Why are people saying to play first year QBs the first year they join on this site? It's common knowledge you never
Do that.
Well it goes double for Maye - he's less experienced than most rookies - played 3 years in high school and 2 years in college.

I mean, I hope the rest of the offense will be better than last year, but I think at a minimum, there will be a learning curve for the new coaches and players... and there could be some chaos... chaos isn't a good environment for a young, green qb who's under pressure to carry the team - we've seen that movie already.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:16 AM

12,925 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well it goes double for Maye - he's less experienced than most rookies - played 3 years in high school and 2 years in college.

I mean, I hope the rest of the offense will be better than last year, but I think at a minimum, there will be a learning curve for the new coaches and players... and there could be some chaos... chaos isn't a good environment for a young, green qb who's under pressure to carry the team - we've seen that movie already.
Absolutely. There's a difference between putting a rookie QB in a position where he's "THE guy" and getting him some time under center during his rookie year.

I don't envision a scenario in which Maye is the week one starter. Even if Jacoby Brissett doesn't wow in camp, he's likely your bridge guy. And if not him, probably a different free agent veteran. But, I also don't see a scenario in which Maye doesn't get any playing time during the season. At a minimum, he'll get in there to run the offense in games that are out of reach. He could potentially see a good deal of playing time toward the end of the season if the team's playoff scenario is locked in (most likely missing the playoffs) but there are still games left to play. And there's even a chance they could design certain plays for him and have him come in for a snap or two in the middle of a game that counts (kind of like what the Saints have done with Taysom Hill). Getting him some snaps during the regular season is critical to his development. But putting him in a spot where he's the #1 guy on the team sets him up to fail. The challenge for the coaches will be striking the right balance - enough time to facilitate development, but not so much that his confidence (or body) are crushed when things don't go well.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:22 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,058,244 times
I'd be ECSTATIC if this team won 8 games next year. Personally, I think it will be a 6 win team.

I'm happy they were able to keep the defense mostly intact because it's been a good unit. On the other side of the coin, almost the ENTIRE offense needed to be rebuilt. The only position that didn't need a lot of upgrade was RB and TE is OK not great. The line was SUPER thin, the WR group was useless, and we needed a new QB. Maye might not see the field this year which is OK with me. He needs work on his technique. So, no real benefit from that pick likely this year. This was also a SUPER deep WR draft and it was disappointing to me that the Pats didn't try and trade up back into the first round to get a better WR. The team made some decent picks along the O-line in the draft.

So basically they did a decent job of adding some talent to the offense. The team still needs a true #1 WR (no more Brady so can't get away with a group of all 2's and 3's) and the O-line still needs more talent and depth. An upgrade at TE wouldn't be the worst thing either. I thought Hunter Henry had no fire the last couple of years and was dogging it.

Anyway, by the time the offense is turned around in 2-3 years some key defensive players will be old an then we'll need to start on the D side of things. Once we have a base of young talent (probably after next year's draft), I hope the team becomes more aggressive in free agency to speed up the process a bit.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'd be ECSTATIC if this team won 8 games next year. Personally, I think it will be a 6 win team.

I'm happy they were able to keep the defense mostly intact because it's been a good unit. On the other side of the coin, almost the ENTIRE offense needed to be rebuilt. The only position that didn't need a lot of upgrade was RB and TE is OK not great. The line was SUPER thin, the WR group was useless, and we needed a new QB. Maye might not see the field this year which is OK with me. He needs work on his technique. So, no real benefit from that pick likely this year. This was also a SUPER deep WR draft and it was disappointing to me that the Pats didn't try and trade up back into the first round to get a better WR. The team made some decent picks along the O-line in the draft.

So basically they did a decent job of adding some talent to the offense. The team still needs a true #1 WR (no more Brady so can't get away with a group of all 2's and 3's) and the O-line still needs more talent and depth. An upgrade at TE wouldn't be the worst thing either. I thought Hunter Henry had no fire the last couple of years and was dogging it.

Anyway, by the time the offense is turned around in 2-3 years some key defensive players will be old an then we'll need to start on the D side of things. Once we have a base of young talent (probably after next year's draft), I hope the team becomes more aggressive in free agency to speed up the process a bit.
I'm with you. I think that's a reasonable goal. I don't think they're an 8-win team coming off a 4-win season, with a largely new coaching staff, with an average (at best) veteran QB, an untested rookie QB, question marks remaining on the O-line and at the skill positions, etc. Another 4-win season is not out of the realm of possibility (nor would it mean nothing is working). This is as big a rebuild as you'll find. 8 wins would be a near miracle.

I think they're a year or two out from being a .500 team and that's assuming Maye progresses as hoped, Mayo and his staff aren't busts, and they add more weapons over that timeframe.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM

12,575 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Absolutely. There's a difference between putting a rookie QB in a position where he's "THE guy" and getting him some time under center during his rookie year.

I don't envision a scenario in which Maye is the week one starter. Even if Jacoby Brissett doesn't wow in camp, he's likely your bridge guy. And if not him, probably a different free agent veteran. But, I also don't see a scenario in which Maye doesn't get any playing time during the season. At a minimum, he'll get in there to run the offense in games that are out of reach. He could potentially see a good deal of playing time toward the end of the season if the team's playoff scenario is locked in (most likely missing the playoffs) but there are still games left to play. And there's even a chance they could design certain plays for him and have him come in for a snap or two in the middle of a game that counts (kind of like what the Saints have done with Taysom Hill). Getting him some snaps during the regular season is critical to his development. But putting him in a spot where he's the #1 guy on the team sets him up to fail. The challenge for the coaches will be striking the right balance - enough time to facilitate development, but not so much that his confidence (or body) are crushed when things don't go well.
Agreed that Brissett should serve as a "bridge" QB for at least this year, and no matter what they try to do this year, they're not making a competitive playoff run, so they should just play the long game and do what will set them up best for 2025-26 seasons. Brissett won't be amazing, but he should be serviceable as an interim solution. All he needs to do is be better than Hoyer, Zappe and the beaten-down Mac that rode out of town. I think Brissett can do that and be a modest upgrade from where we've been lately.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I would not give him one snap. He should not play at all, the most well known quarterbacks did not play the first year

Old 04-30-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm with you. I think that's a reasonable goal. I don't think they're an 8-win team coming off a 4-win season, with a largely new coaching staff, with an average (at best) veteran QB, an untested rookie QB, question marks remaining on the O-line and at the skill positions, etc. Another 4-win season is not out of the realm of possibility (nor would it mean nothing is working). This is as big a rebuild as you'll find. 8 wins would be a near miracle.

I think they're a year or two out from being a .500 team and that's assuming Maye progresses as hoped, Mayo and his staff aren't busts, and they add more weapons over that timeframe.
Ya 8 wins this year might be a pipe dream.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I would not give him one snap. He should not play at all, the most well known quarterbacks did not play the first year
Huh? Can you name one that didn't play at all their rookie year? Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, C.J. Stroud, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, etc. all played at least some garbage time snaps their rookie seasons. Even Aaron Rodgers, who famously was QB2 behind Brett Favre on the depth chart for 2 seasons, got a few dozen snaps his rookie year. Maye shouldn't be expected to be QB1 this year, but I don't see why they wouldn't give him some low-pressure snaps when opportunities arise throughout the year. That's pretty standard for developing QBs. The in-game experience is extremely helpful to get a feel for NFL defenses.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Huh? Can you name one that didn't play at all their rookie year? Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, C.J. Stroud, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, etc. all played at least some garbage time snaps their rookie seasons. Even Aaron Rodgers, who famously was QB2 behind Brett Favre on the depth chart for 2 seasons, got a few dozen snaps his rookie year. Maye shouldn't be expected to be QB1 this year, but I don't see why they wouldn't give him some low-pressure snaps when opportunities arise throughout the year. That's pretty standard for developing QBs. The in-game experience is extremely helpful to get a feel for NFL defenses.
on sports radio they said aaron rogers did not play until the next year after drafted. im going to investigate this myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts