Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 06:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s nonsense. What builder is going to do projects that don’t make them money? Every builder is flat out right now building big houses with high trim level where they make the most profit. Nobody is going to build a bunch of little affordable houses walkable to Andover Center.
If you build enough condo units you could easily get more out of it than a single SFH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 07:18 AM

169 posts, read 182,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
As Mike said a developer can build what people like me require, and there are many who do, with zoning overlays. it would have to pass town hall. Concord has done that.

So do you know if something like this is in the works at Town Hall. Zoning changes take a long time to pass. Requires lots of discussion, public hearings etc. And then once the zoning to build becomes law then a builder has to build. I'd expect this to take several years - unless town hall is already working on this. If this is not even on town hall's radar then you need to consider what housing already exists to meet your timeline of when you want to move.

So I guess the question I have for you is are you dead set on staying in Andover strictly near the town center? If so - what are your options there. Are there any? Like I said, jump on redfin and go back a few years. I see some things that are in apartment like buildings but are condos. Some are on Railroad Ave. Do any of those or others work? If not then you need to consider what else is in Andover - at the Country Club as someone else mentioned. Or the ones I have you a link to - River something. I don't recall the name.

Or branch out and look at surrounding communities or other areas entirely.

Bottom line question - are you at all flexible or are you strictly looking for something meeting your requirements near Andover town center because as of right not it looks like it does not exist. Then what? If that is what you want, we can't really help you anymore. We can't provide what does not exist.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you ...
Had a dog in that fight as you do? Yeah, then I might approach the OP's question as you have.
Otherwise... I'll stick. And I made my point(s) with about 10% of the verbiage too.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:14 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
My advice to the op is, sell your house, move to a warm climate, and buy a new mobile home, and put it in a park that has age restrictions.
Maintenance can be done by the park property management team.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:46 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
As a former Andoverite, I do not see it economically feasible for any type of low density housing anywhere near downtown. At best, it would have to be high density and the locals would fight the hell out of that especially if any type of affordable housing is part of it.

Old 11-26-2021, 01:05 PM

531 posts, read 425,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My advice to the op is, sell your house, move to a warm climate, and buy a new mobile home, and put it in a park that has age restrictions.
Eek, move to LA?! (Assuming that’s where you meant based on your location). I used to dream of living there, but you couldn’t pay me to go back now. Shame that a once great city has been destroyed. Aren’t the celebs (and everyone else) leaving in droves because of the crime, gangs, throngs of homeless people, and the exorbitant taxes? I’m at least thankful that I got to vacation there a few times before it went downhill.

OP seems to love Andover (I don’t blame them) and doesn’t want to leave. It’s a lovely town and even if a townhome or condo isn’t readily available right in the downtown area, I’m sure they can at least find something suitable somewhere still in the town itself. I definitely wouldn’t sell until they find something they like and in the meantime just pay for things like snow removal and leaf pickup if they don’t feel up to doing it themselves.

Last edited by Remy11; 11-26-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 01:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Andover is 75% college educated adults and solidly upper middle class with $150k median household income. Why would someone who lives there want to live in a trailer park in the south? You’d have absolutely nothing in common with your neighbors.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Eek, move to LA?! (Assuming that’s where you meant based on your location). I used to dream of living there, but you couldn’t pay me to go back now. Shame that a once great city has been destroyed. Aren’t the celebs (and everyone else) leaving in droves because of the crime, gangs, throngs of homeless people, and the exorbitant taxes? I’m at least thankful that I got to vacation there a few times before it went downhill.

OP seems to love Andover (I don’t blame them) and doesn’t want to leave. It’s a lovely town and even if a townhome or condo isn’t readily available right in the downtown area, I’m sure they can at least find something suitable somewhere still in the town itself. I definitely wouldn’t sell until they find something they like and in the meantime just pay for things like snow removal and leaf pickup if they don’t feel up to doing it themselves.
When I suggested the op sell, and move to a warmer climate, I was thinking Florida, not California.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Andover is 75% college educated adults and solidly upper middle class with $150k median household income. Why would someone who lives there want to live in a trailer park in the south? You’d have absolutely nothing in common with your neighbors.
They have not been called trailer parks for many, many years now.
They are either mobile home parks, or manufactured home parks.
I believe you are stuck in that old adage of "trailer trash", which mobile home parks are far from that connotation .
They are as formidable for living as any new housing development, or condo community.

There are many advantages to choosing to own a mobile (manufactured) home, one being, no property tax.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
There's plenty of condos and 55+ homes in Florida. No need to buy in a mobile home park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts