Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 03:55 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,683,188 times

Advertisements

Boston Mayors don't usually have much luck in statewide races. Kevin White and Ray Flynn both tried it. I remember Flynn was particularly bad. I see Walsh in the same mold. At least Kevin White was smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 05:53 PM

9,888 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I see a center-right(ish) non whack job standing a chance against a Coakley/Healy/Chang-Diaz, etc.. A Sununu or DeWine type. Locally, maybe a Ryan Fattman or Dean Tran??? Problem is, locally the gene pool is just so shallow.
But the state Republican Party won't support a center-right(ish) candidate. One of the probable reasons that Baker dropped out is that he'd have to fight his own party leadership for the nomination. Jim Lyons, the Mass GOP Party chairman, is all in on Trump and Trumpism. Yesterday, he said the Trump's endorsement of Diehl shook up Baker enough to not run.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:59 PM

337 posts, read 268,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But the state Republican Party won't support a center-right(ish) candidate. One of the probable reasons that Baker dropped out is that he'd have to fight his own party leadership for the nomination. Jim Lyons, the Mass GOP Party chairman, is all in on Trump and Trumpism. Yesterday, he said the Trump's endorsement of Diehl shook up Baker enough to not run.
Honestly, I feel like the Mass GOP is not focused on advocating for a conservatism that fits Massachusetts. Did they even say anything about Smith & Wesson relocating to Kentucky and the subsequent loss of jobs in Springfield? Sometimes it feels like they're phoning it in. I'm not even Republican, I just don't want to live in a one party state, especially with some of the stuff I've seen going on in the Democratic Party lately.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:35 PM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Let the Republican Party move to the fringe. It'll hasten their demise as a viable political force.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:45 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Let the Republican Party move to the fringe. It'll hasten their demise as a viable political force.
…and we’re left with a grotesque amalgamation of maos, castros and Mandela mask-wearing mugabes of the fringe left? No thanks!

Old 12-02-2021, 07:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
…and we’re left with a grotesque amalgamation of maos, castros and Mandela mask-wearing mugabes of the fringe left? No thanks!
This sort of race-baiting name-calling language and dog whistles, used by the right, ironically proves my point.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:12 PM

23,634 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:

But Baker is not center-right or any kind of right. He's a traitorous RINO who has flipped the bird to his own party on multiple occasions. He should expect nothing else at this point. The examples I was referring to have not alienated their party in the same manner, which is itself somewhat moderate or at least "big tent". Not sure what you are referring to with Lyons, I haven't followed him in a while but I can't picture him being a "Trumpster". He's more an old school conservative.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 PM

You not liking it doesn’t mean it’s not true, just look at globe’s recent person of the year. Or the recent mayor of Baltimore. Or the recent mayor of Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
This sort of race-baiting name-calling language and dog whistles, used by the right, ironically proves my point.
That’s exactly what he is, a centrist who’s maybe a notch or two right of center. And if republican means hitler than he’s most definitely a treacherous RINO, similar to how Manchin is a treacherous DINO in a world where democrat means mao.

Quote:
But Baker is not center-right or any kind of right. He's a traitorous RINO who has flipped the bird to his own party on multiple occasions. He should expect nothing else at this point. The examples I was referring to have not alienated their party in the same manner, which is itself somewhat moderate or at least "big tent". Not sure what you are referring to with Lyons, I haven't followed him in a while but I can't picture him being a "Trumpster". He's more an old school conservative.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:48 PM

23,634 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
That’s exactly what he is, a centrist who’s maybe a notch or two right of center. And if republican means hitler than he’s most definitely a treacherous RINO, similar to how Manchin is a treacherous DINO in a world where democrat means mao.

Then why did he spend a million dollars trying to destroy his own party? It's no wonder he's so popular among the Dems.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:56 PM

Well, if by his own party you mean the party of Trump I’m all for that faction getting destroyed, they’re the reason why commie whackadoos and Farrakhan-level racist freakazoids have gone from being on the outer fringes to being mainstream.

Quote:
Then why did he spend a million dollars trying to destroy his own party? It's no wonder he's so popular among the Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts