Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against vaccine passports in massechusetts?
I am for vaccine passports 33 46.48%
I am against vaccine passports 38 53.52%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 03:12 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It's a matter of convenience (if you have an iPhone you can put it in your Apple Wallet for easy access instead of having to thumb through the countless photos on your phone) and I would imagine verifying through the QR code lowers the odds a fake passport.

Sorry about that! As ridiculous as I think basing an argument on a sample size of 43 people and conjectures made just a few short days (maybe weeks) into the discovery of a new strain of virus is, my response was not intended to be nasty. So, I apologize if it read that way. It was more intended to relay the fact that I was flabbergasted that you would even cite this article. So again apologies if I opened the door with my word selection for you to add a nasty tone to my writing.

As far as your chicken study goes, this is basically the same argument for why doctors have reduced their prescribing of antibiotics. If you give everyone antibiotics every time they sneeze it creates super strains that are resistant to antibiotics. This being said, I have no idea of how reliable this study is. Chances are if it didn't appear in the mainstream media it's because:

A) it's not exciting enough to get ratings for the 5 o'clock news or
B) it's not a valid study

This being said I know quite a few medical professionals and they're all incredibly anal retentive people who research things ad nauseum (in reliable and respected sources) especially things they put in their body and every single one of them was at the front of the line to get the vaccine when it came out. Personally, I think the fact that the medical community is so highly vaccinated is enough evidence for me.

While I'm not going to take any guesses at anyone's GPA, I would wholeheartedly agree that as I stated earlier in the thread if you're going to live in a society then part of that covenant is an agreement to do what's best for the society as a whole. As a father of a child with Autism, I've been resisting choking to death people for years who still seem to think there's a link between Autism and vaccines. Even the doctor who originally published that theory has come out and said he lied. Unfortunately, lies don't often die so easy and there's a lot out there on the internet that too many people believe. In part, I always wanted to smack those early anit-vaxxers across the face because I knew they were compromising everyone's health. Some diseases that have been gone for decades popped back up a bit because of these people.

Also as I mentioned earlier this issue has unfortunately been highly politicized. Our country is incredibly divided right now and none of the last few Presidents have helped with that because they've all been fairly strongly to one side of the aisle. This being said the last President REALLY didn't help because he threw any thought of finding a middle ground or compromise right in the trash. Without a doubt he was our most dangerous President ever because he empowered conspiracy theorists, spread their word because it fed his agenda, and he incited a riot that endangered our democracy. He was the world's biggest and most powerful bully and he made other bullies feel empowered.

Your apology is accepted. As far as your views on society, I've proudly served both my community and country in many ways. No need for lectures on living up to responsibilities as a member of society - not that you were doing so but there's one other poster here who loves to project his own selfish life on others using COVID as a foil. Your post sounds ideal but is oversimplified to nth degree. We could go on all day about what it means to live in a society and a republic which values civil and seeks to balance liberties and the rights of the individual against the mob, not via decree of civil servants. Somehow I don't think having a conversation about such matters with someone who wants to choke out people with different views would be a productive conversation. As for the COVID issue, I prefer an approach based on evidence-led decision making and the dedication of scarce resources toward the highest risks just as both the public and corporate sectors do using the risk management process with any other threat. What we have is an approach based on emotion-led decision-making fueled in large part by media and a populace that stokes emotion and not logic, and responds in similar fashion.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Me? Nope. I was skiing, on the boat, and at the beach through the pandemic other than those first few months when the ski resorts pulled the plug in March. I’m vaccinated and I have boxes of N95 masks. I’m unlikely to get COVID-19.

I’m not distorting anything. The reason we talk about vaccine passports is because people like you exist. You refuse to do your civic duty and get vaccinated. I think it’s just the High School C student who resents being told what to do. Since you resent being told what to do, you fling crazed conspiracy theories. You don’t have the “freedom” to be a public health menace and there’s a big slice of society that wants to use vaccine passports to discourage people like you from damaging society.
You know nothing about my vaccine status, so I'd suggest you stick to what you know, which is not much.As for talking about vaccine passports, some of us are talking. You, on the other hand choose to pretend to be high-priestess of all morality, tossing around words like selfish and sacrifice toward people you know nothing about. I'd suggest you examine your own selfishness as the lady doth protest too much methinks.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Freedom has risks. You have no right to privacy when in public just like you have no right not to get sick.

There can not be exceptions for individual freedom. People don't consciously give people sickness. If it's not covid you can get 100 other sicknesses.

Once you can make exceptions then all freedoms are on the table. This virus is nothing like small pox which had a 30 percent death rate vs less than 1 percent from covid.

I am not responsible for others health and they are not responsible for mine.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:53 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Freedom has risks. You have no right to privacy when in public just like you have no right not to get sick.

There can not be exceptions for individual freedom. People don't consciously give people sickness. If it's not covid you can get 100 other sicknesses.

Once you can make exceptions then all freedoms are on the table. This virus is nothing like small pox which had a 30 percent death rate vs less than 1 percent from covid.

In MA, we mandate vaccines for varicella. What's the death rate from chickenpox?

Old 01-13-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

I agree that protection of civil liberties is essential. They are what make the United States a shining beacon of hope for millions around the world who come here seeking relief from oppression. They are what protect the minority from the wrath of the majority. It is acknowledged that the interests of public safety will sometimes impinge on those rights, however this has to driven by substantial evidence of a compelling need and only on a case by case basis, not by blanket decrees through terror and division. Anyone who is familiar with history and or has been subject to the persecution or oppression by the mob would understand the slippery slope that is chipping away or taking civil liberties lightly. And I haven't seen a virus made into such a moral issue since the AIDS crisis. You're right, people generally do not malevolently spread virus. Virus spreads, that's what it does, and the notion that humans can "control" an airborne virus is as ludicrous as those who would make it a moral issue. Fear and morality driven public health, ain't public health.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Your apology is accepted. As far as your views on society, I've proudly served both my community and country in many ways. No need for lectures on living up to responsibilities as a member of society - not that you were doing so but there's one other poster here who loves to project his own selfish life on others using COVID as a foil. Your post sounds ideal but is oversimplified to nth degree. We could go on all day about what it means to live in a society and a republic which values civil and seeks to balance liberties and the rights of the individual against the mob, not via decree of civil servants. Somehow I don't think having a conversation about such matters with someone who wants to choke out people with different views would be a productive conversation. As for the COVID issue, I prefer an approach based on evidence-led decision making and the dedication of scarce resources toward the highest risks just as both the public and corporate sectors do using the risk management process with any other threat. What we have is an approach based on emotion-led decision-making fueled in large part by media and a populace that stokes emotion and not logic, and responds in similar fashion.
Sorry, ignorance and stupidity really presses my hot button. Why anyone would believe that there's a link between Autism and vaccines after the very doctor who promulgated the theory said it was a lie is an example of incredible stupidity and ignorance. The really sad part for me is that it's the children of all of these chuckleheads who will end up suffering. The parents are probably all vaccinated. I just hate the idea that they may compromise herd immunity and bring my kids down with them if that population of ignoramuses reaches a large enough mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In MA, we mandate vaccines for varicella. What's the death rate from chickenpox?
This is what I really don't understand . . . we already have vaccine mandates! Why does this one and not all of the other ones that have been around for years and years suddenly impinge on anyone's liberties or freedoms? It would be great to hear the answer.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:24 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Sorry, ignorance and stupidity really presses my hot button. Why anyone would believe that there's a link between Autism and vaccines after the very doctor who promulgated the theory said it was a lie is an example of incredible stupidity and ignorance. The really sad part for me is that it's the children of all of these chuckleheads who will end up suffering. The parents are probably all vaccinated. I just hate the idea that they may compromise herd immunity and bring my kids down with them if that population of ignoramuses reaches a large enough mass.

This is what I really don't understand . . . we already have vaccine mandates! Why does this one and not all of the other ones that have been around for years and years suddenly impinge on anyone's liberties or freedoms? It would be great to hear the answer.
Playing dumb helps no one. You can keep pretending it's normal to get vaccinated for something and call yourself "fully vaccinated" for a few months and then take another of the exact same shot and then get infected by the pathogen you're vaccinated against and then have half of the people you know, who are also vaccinated against the pathogen, get infected too. But that's all it is: playing pretend.

It's not even worth having a discussion with someone who refuses to acknowledge the differences between this vaccination campaign and others, to be completely honest. Especially when many of us have been pointing out these differences for more than a year now. If you stop pretending, stop playing dumb, I promise you more people will want to have an open-minded and serious discussion with you on this.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:25 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Because some idiots decided to politicize it.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Playing dumb helps no one. You can keep pretending it's normal to get vaccinated for something and call yourself "fully vaccinated" for a few months and then take another of the exact same shot and then get infected by the pathogen you're vaccinated against and then have half of the people you know, who are also vaccinated against the pathogen, get infected too. But that's all it is: playing pretend.

It's not even worth having a discussion with someone who refuses to acknowledge the differences between this vaccination campaign and others, to be completely honest. Especially when many of us have been pointing out these differences for more than a year now. If you stop pretending, stop playing dumb, I promise you more people will want to have an open-minded and serious discussion with you on this.

In what way is Covid supposed to be normal?

Old 01-13-2022, 08:42 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Because some idiots decided to politicize it.

Not idiots at all, I mean the size of the population they were able to manipulate is living proof that these folks are quite talented at what they do. If only they used that great intelligence to actually accomplish some good for society, imagine how different a world we would be in right now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts