Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 08:55 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
That's all nice and dandy but is everyone willing to see their grocery bill triple if industrial farms that are currently by no means organic, artisanal and cruelty-free are forced to adhere to Portlandia-style happy chicken standards?
Ideally, enough people would care that most producers would be forced to implement humane and healthy practices, which benefits the animals, the people who eat them and their products and the environment as a whole. Barring that (which would exist in a Libertarian utopia), we need some regulations. And people are always against regulations, because someone loses some money. But we've done it plenty of times. We don't allow pollutants to be thrown into rivers. We got lead out of gasoline (and out of paint, too). We banned asbestos. And we created the FDA that requires proper labeling of ingredients and products. All of that cost more, but ultimately society as a whole benefitted from those regulations and none turned out to be the doomsday scenario that is always predicted.

There is still plenty of food available to eat that does not come from animals if the cost of maintaining the animals in a minimally moral and healthy way makes it too expensive. Because the *real* cost of that cheap food was not being realized, prices were artificially low. So bringing them back to where they should be will allow people to make whatever choices work best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 08:59 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Generally speaking, farms aren't required to be organic etc - farmers choose to make these distinctions in their practices and products and the free market preferences support them. Costs do increase with healthier and more humane practices, but certainly 3x isn't normal.
They can easily triple if industrial farms are forced to go from their current admittedly awful practices to free-range cruelty-free animals are people too sort of deal.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:12 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
They can easily triple if industrial farms are forced to go from their current admittedly awful practices to free-range cruelty-free animals are people too sort of deal.
Well, as I said, the free market is playing a strong role in all this. But, for my part, I can't abide with animals being kept in very cramped, dark conditions, sitting in their own waste, breathing foul air with high concentrations of ammonia, mold, etc, having dead (and often very unhealthy animals who died from the conditions) mixed into their food, which may also harbor large amounts of mold - it's just insane. I don't need my chickens and cows receiving massages and pedicures, but let them at least live something like a normal animal's life. One can say that "nature is cruel", but the conditions imposed by factory farming are incomparably worse.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:11 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
To enhance your “education”…. Joseph Stalin killed 6 million Russians. From 1958 to 1962, Mao killed 40 to 80 million between starvation, prison labor, and mass executions.

Anti-communist vs chickens. I’m having a tough time following this reasoning. Your saying chickens are more important than slaughtering 40 million Chinese people?
No, I am saying that social awareness and a willingness to forgo "free market" BS for a bit of humanity and social conscience, which includes animal welfare, and above profit seeking disguised as "freedom" make sense for real human beings. Mao, Stalin and the likes thought they were "communists" but in reality, they were just butchers who killed in the name of communism. My idea of communism does not include them.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:13 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No, I am saying that social awareness and a willingness to forgo "free market" BS for a bit of humanity and social conscience, which includes animal welfare, and above profit seeking disguised as "freedom" make sense for real human beings. Mao, Stalin and the likes thought they were "communists" but in reality, they were just butchers who killed in the name of communism. My idea of communism does not include them.
Are you a veganazi, by any chance?

Old 01-22-2022, 02:09 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
From what you’ve just written, you’re one of those dreaded anti-communists since communist leaders are butchers. Your rhetoric just shifted 180 degrees. I’m still a bit lost how that has anything to do with chickens. We have a double digit percentage of food-insecure children in Massachusetts. Eggs are by far their cheapest protein source. You just doubled the price. Low income people are getting crushed by food inflation. You’d rather some low income kid be malnourished because chickens?

Old 01-23-2022, 03:11 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,099 times
Just got back from MB... yeah this wasn't on my radar but it is now.

Bonus: They didn't have the boneless white chicken breasts either... that's one of the cheapest per pound products they sell. Just goes to show Sunday Night is a bad time to go grocery shopping.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:43 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Stopped in at the Market Basket and Trader Joe's on the way home today after a (increasingly rare) trip to the office, for some research.

Market Basket Brand Large White Cage Free Eggs: $2.29/dozen
Trader Joe's Brand Large Brown Cage Free Eggs: $2.79/dozen
Trader Joe's Brand Extra Large Brown Organic Free Range Eggs: $4.49/dozen

Old 01-27-2022, 09:39 AM

959 posts, read 533,795 times
I think 2.29 is not a bad price.
Funny.. I wanted to warn my Mom about this month ago, and she said "That's not a problem. I only eat organic eggs and recommend you do."

Old 01-27-2022, 10:11 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
I think 2.29 is not a bad price.
Funny.. I wanted to warn my Mom about this month ago, and she said "That's not a problem. I only eat organic eggs and recommend you do."

It's pretty far from the previous Market Basket 99 cents to $1.39. Again, if you're low income, food cost inflation is a really big deal. This just heaped on to an already large problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts