Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 06:23 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,679 times

Advertisements

Keene and Brattleboro are great, though very self-contained and isolated from metro areas. Nice towns with great quality of life but basically no transportation to other places besides Greyhound.

Some previous posts make it sound like these two towns are conjoined but they’re about 20 miles apart, 20-25 minutes by car.

Neither typically floods, exception of limited areas of town during freak rain incidents like in 2005 and 2011. Choose a place more than 20 feet higher than any river and it will be no worry. New England is far from flat in most places making it easier to live somewhere above the local floodplains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 06:32 PM

242 posts, read 350,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I live half of the year right south of the border, in Simsbury CT.

I LOVE Western MA and North Central CT. Its ideal. PVTA is great.. most of the US has bad transit, but I feel PVTA is much nicer than its equivalents.

Also do not shy away from CT too. You will be within 40 minutes of Northampton etc.

My best advice is wven trying Greenfield MA If Amherst and Northampton are pricey.
I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but it might be worthwhile for the OP to check out the CT Fast Track busway between New Britain and Hartford. There are a number of insurance companies in Hartford, so there are quite a few jobs there, and if the OP lives in New Britain it's relatively inexpensive for CT. Added bonus is that Central Connecticut State University is there in New Britain, too.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:42 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but it might be worthwhile for the OP to check out the CT Fast Track busway between New Britain and Hartford. There are a number of insurance companies in Hartford, so there are quite a few jobs there, and if the OP lives in New Britain it's relatively inexpensive for CT. Added bonus is that Central Connecticut State University is there in New Britain, too.

Never been there, but from what I hear it's inexpensive for a good reason.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,422 times
Default Hang in there

I've been a longtime lurker on these forums, but I had to register to reply to this thread.

I am from Arkansas and am considering a move to Western Massachusetts in a few years, with my husband and youngest son. Unlike OP, I have lived in MA before - I spent a year in Cape Cod after Katrina. I also spent a few years in New York before that. Also unlike OP, we would be moving with jobs - we both work remotely.

What I don't think some people on this forum understand is how... Exhausting it can get, politically. Even living in a blue dot in a red state! Which is about to be all red, as our one blue county has been gerrymandered away! When I first moved back here to be closer to family, I quickly learned not to tell people - coworkers - I had had an abortion, or they would literally call me a murderer to my face. Don't mention religion at all, God forbid you say you don't go to church or believe in Jesus. I made the stupid mistake of letting slip to some former co-workers that I was interested in Tarot cards, and now I'm pretty sure they think I'm halfway to devil worship.

I'm not looking for a San Francisco (I suspect I would find that a different kind of exhausting!). Just a place where I don't have to second guess what I say about who I am and what I do.

So OP, I feel you on this, for sure. Dream those dreams. And if it doesn't work out? You can always move back.

P. S. For all these people talking about how expensive MA is, you should Google one of the many cost of living calculators which factors in taxes, etc. I just used one which figured that Western Massachusetts is about 6% higher than where I am in Little Rock.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:26 AM

129 posts, read 107,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettyfinhaden View Post
I've been a longtime lurker on these forums, but I had to register to reply to this thread.

I am from Arkansas and am considering a move to Western Massachusetts in a few years, with my husband and youngest son. Unlike OP, I have lived in MA before - I spent a year in Cape Cod after Katrina. I also spent a few years in New York before that. Also unlike OP, we would be moving with jobs - we both work remotely.

What I don't think some people on this forum understand is how... Exhausting it can get, politically. Even living in a blue dot in a red state! Which is about to be all red, as our one blue county has been gerrymandered away! When I first moved back here to be closer to family, I quickly learned not to tell people - coworkers - I had had an abortion, or they would literally call me a murderer to my face. Don't mention religion at all, God forbid you say you don't go to church or believe in Jesus. I made the stupid mistake of letting slip to some former co-workers that I was interested in Tarot cards, and now I'm pretty sure they think I'm halfway to devil worship.

I'm not looking for a San Francisco (I suspect I would find that a different kind of exhausting!). Just a place where I don't have to second guess what I say about who I am and what I do.

So OP, I feel you on this, for sure. Dream those dreams. And if it doesn't work out? You can always move back.

P. S. For all these people talking about how expensive MA is, you should Google one of the many cost of living calculators which factors in taxes, etc. I just used one which figured that Western Massachusetts is about 6% higher than where I am in Little Rock.
We would love to have you in Western MA!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Uhhhh, that's not really stuff one should discuss at work in any state (including MA). Are you sure it's "there" that's the issue?

Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
And why do some people falsely believe they speak for an entire region? Bizarre.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 2,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uhhhh, that's not really stuff one should discuss at work in any state (including MA). Are you sure it's "there" that's the issue?
Well, that's sort of my point. I don't want to be invited to Bible groups while I'm at work, and then have to politely demur and be expected to give reasons why. I DON'T think it is appropriate to talk about religion at work, at all.

When it comes to abortion, I consider it a legal, safe medical procedure, which no one should be ashamed to go through or talk about.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Well, that's sort of my point. I don't want to be invited to Bible groups while I'm at work, and then have to politely demur and be expected to give reasons why. I DON'T think it is appropriate to talk about religion at work, at all.

When it comes to abortion, I consider it a legal, safe medical procedure, which no one should be ashamed to go through or talk about.

And in Mass., co-workers (usually) won't invite you to Bible groups. I spent part of a year working in TN as well, and don't recall it coming up much there either. If they do (and this goes for anywhere), you politely decline and say "it's not my thing". Most reasonable people will then move on, and if not then they are the ones who you might want to keep your distance from. Abortion is a very private matter, and not something one should casually discuss with people they do not know well. Failing to follow these norms will push others away, and make them look down on you professionally. The Northeast is going to be a very bad fit if you are a needy type, or expect your coworkers to double as a social worker for you.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:00 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
Quote:

If you think that Northampton may be a good fit for you, post your questions to this forum! There are a few of us who live in town here and can help you get the lay of the land. You might want to post it under a new topic though, so it doesn't get lost in this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts