Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 02:05 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I used to live in Arlington. The apartment I had charged first month, deposit and 50% agent fee. So it’s 2.5x rent.
When I left, they even refunded my deposit with interest!

But I know it is rare. Usually you pay 3x
They are required by state law to pay interest on deposits. It wasn't cause they were being generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Many are successful adults in other countries but they won't have American credit scores when they first migrate here. The better educated (such as those coming with employment based visas) will have some resources and will probably speak English. Their socioeconomic status enables them to obtain market units even if they don't necessarily have a US credit score. The immigrants moving to places like Malden or Chelsea are usually those who came here through marriage, refugees or diversity. Many are not educated and have kids so they won't be looking for 1BR units off zillow. In many cases they are probably renting off-grid units and packing in more people than the places were designed for and/or they are dumps. Some will move in with relatives. Some will move into public housing as occupants of other lease holders.
And of course forgot to mention the many who come here on a tourist visa and never leave, as well as those who crossed illegally.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:11 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
Quote:
They are required by state law to pay interest on deposits. It wasn't cause they wanted to be nice.
Many landlords will find excuses to reduce the refund.
They can always find something broken or dirty.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Many landlords will find excuses to reduce the refund.
They can always find something broken or dirty.
They can try, but if it's not damage that goes beyond normal wear and tear they can't legally do it. And there is redress if they do. You act like people should feel grateful to the landlord for not screwing them. lol

However, if you're the tenant who damages someone's property then yeah, pay up.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
They can try, but if it's not damage that goes beyond normal wear and tear they can't legally do it. And there is redress if they do. You act like people should feel grateful to the landlord for not screwing them. lol

However, if you're the tenant who damages someone's property then yeah, pay up.
I am simply stating the fact: ONLY in Arlington I have received a full refund of deposit (with interest).
I have lived in 4 states and it had never happened. They will say your kitchen is greasy, bathroom is dirty. Or say nothing but withhold money.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I am simply stating the fact: ONLY in Arlington I have received a full refund of deposit (with interest).
I have lived in 4 states and it had never happened. They will say your kitchen is greasy, bathroom is dirty. Or say nothing but withhold money.
Kind of goes back to an earlier point that if you make it easy for them, they do it.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Kind of goes back to an earlier point that if you make it easy for them, they do it.
The point is the landlord in Arlington is easier.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:19 PM

Not as easy as you.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Not as easy as you.
Two different categories can’t be compared.
I won’t even compare a buyer’s agent with a seller’s agent, even though they could physically be the same.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:55 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
This is not true for big corporations like Avalon. The rate we received last year was way below average for that area and complex. A friend of mine in Nedham was charged with 1K more cuz his deal was during Covid time.

Those places are notorious for that, like getting you in with these gimmicks ie. discounted rent for the first 6 months yada yada yada.. Once they "have you" they figure enough will stay put for at least for a while (knowing full well the challenges of moving). But bottom line, Avalon complexes aren't the place for recent grads. Those are for high income recent transplant types (often arriving blind or via. a corporate sponsored move), who think they need to pay all that money or can't live without the full amenities they advertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Sure, you can save money by avoiding large apartment complexes, but not everyone knows this. That's one of the things coming to a board like this can help people. Not everyone has or is able to make connections with locals to figure out where the *slightly* more reasonable rents can be found.

Tbh, I found my current place on Hotpads/Zillow. Private listing. no broker fee. First month and security deposit. I made sure to arrive with references, recent pay stubs, credit score, bank statement, and most importantly my check book. These places still do exist, you just have to be vigilant and "ready to go".

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What's the alternative? We've got to live somewhere.

I'm not thrilled about a $300 rent increase, but it would cost more to put down first/last/security and hire movers to move even further away from work. And costing more would ultimately cost me more time before I can afford to buy.

I don't know the market in your area (I can't imagine it not being less than where I am), but late last year I moved into a 2br right outside of Boston for not much more than you said you were paying. Modernish building with in-unit laundry, nice area...have rents really risen that much in the past few months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts