Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 09:43 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times

Advertisements

The election of Diehl is just confirmation and proof of just how detached most state Republicans are from the rest of the people of Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 09:48 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The election of Diehl is just confirmation and proof of just how detached most state Republicans are from the rest of the people of Massachusetts.

Is it just state "Republicans" though? I haven't run into a single person excited about a Maura Healey governorship. As has been noted, we have a massive voter apathy issue going on here.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:24 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Is it just state "Republicans" though? I haven't run into a single person excited about a Maura Healey governorship. As has been noted, we have a massive voter apathy issue going on here.
Personally? Even as a Dem, I would have preferred a Baker third term, and barring that, a Polito run. Healey is an activist, and I don't think we need that in the governor's office right now. But having said that, Diehl's MAGA affiliation makes him anathema for me...and I suspect many many other MA voters.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:05 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
One thing happening in some states (open primary elections) is people crossing over to vote for Trump endorsed Republican candidates in the primaries, especially when the Democrat they like is an easy winner in their primary. They are hoping the Republican candidate's extremism will doom them in the general election and make it easier to get a Democrat elected.

In SC, where I live, there is no doubt a Republican will be elected. As a liberal Democrat, I know who I favor will never get elected so in the primary I cross over and vote for the least extreme Republican candidates then I vote Democratic in the general election. Has not worked in my favor yet......LOL

Old 09-08-2022, 11:39 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
He seems, from the few times I've heard him speak, grounded enough to not go that route.
He sat for an interview on WGBH's Boston Public Radio yesterday. He didn't give a straight answer to any of their questions on Roe, immigrant licenses, the 2020 election, etc. He started out by saying on day 1 he would rehire any public employee that lost their job due to vaccine mandates and on day 2, firing anyone who was in favor of the mandate and then shifted to Healy's "radical" policies (green energy, her stance on BLM, licenses for undocumented.)

IMHO, he's going to work hard over the next 9 weeks trying to avoid answering the hard questions because if he stays MAGA, he'll definitely lose and if he doesn't, he'll lose the support of the party and the TFG.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:05 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
This is nonsense... a victory is still a victory... but much more important than the governorship and the legislature and this is a won game for the Democrats... a MAGA governor with a strong Democrat legislature, it would be a waste of time for MA.... 4 years with a governor who doesn't govern....

And without sounding pretentious.. the truth is that... even if Healey were the whole campaign inside a bedroom sleeping when he woke up she would still be the governor... at this moment in MA it is extremely difficult for a Trump supporter to get elected to some executive position.
Of course a victory is a victory on the surface. No matter if Healey wins by a single vote or by 2 million votes, she’s the governor either way. Simple as that. But things like margin of victory, turnout, etc. matter quite a bit in terms of political strategy going forward. If Healey’s margin of victory is historically large, it delivers a blow to the Mass. GOP’s hopes at ever selling a MAGA candidate here. Similarly, it’s a feather in the cap of Healey who may have aspirations beyond Gov. But if her margin of victory is smaller than anticipated, it’s potentially damaging to her future prospects while demonstrating to the Mass. GOP that there might be some life to the MAGA approach. Healey’s Governor in almost any scenario (barring a Coakley-esque debacle), but the margin of victory matters to her future prospects and the future approach of the Mass. GOP.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:10 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Personally? Even as a Dem, I would have preferred a Baker third term, and barring that, a Polito run. Healey is an activist, and I don't think we need that in the governor's office right now. But having said that, Diehl's MAGA affiliation makes him anathema for me...and I suspect many many other MA voters.
Same here. I don’t particularly like Healey and would have preferred Baker. I would have potentially been open to Doughty (admittedly don’t know enough about him) over Healey too. But Diehl? It’s a non-starter for me.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:42 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
He sat for an interview on WGBH's Boston Public Radio yesterday. He didn't give a straight answer to any of their questions on Roe, immigrant licenses, the 2020 election, etc. He started out by saying on day 1 he would rehire any public employee that lost their job due to vaccine mandates and on day 2, firing anyone who was in favor of the mandate and then shifted to Healy's "radical" policies (green energy, her stance on BLM, licenses for undocumented.)

IMHO, he's going to work hard over the next 9 weeks trying to avoid answering the hard questions because if he stays MAGA, he'll definitely lose and if he doesn't, he'll lose the support of the party and the TFG.
Really? Seriously? Sounds like a Desantis wannabe.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:58 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Really? Seriously? Sounds like a Desantis wannabe.
The hosts asked him about the tele-rally they had Monday with TFG who said that Diehl should rule the state "with an iron fist." So I guess that's what's expected of MAGA governors.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:48 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Like it or not, whoever that becomes Governor of Massachusetts will have to work with everyone in the Commonwealth. There's Greater Boston with its immense needs and political pull. Then there are the so called gateway cities and the rural small towns with little money. The new governor has to be benevolent and respectful to all in order to be respected regardless of party affiliation. One cannot as Massachusetts Governor refuse to visit and shake hands in communities like Lawrence, Roxbury, or Brockton nor can one as Massachusetts Governor dismiss towns like Warwick or Colrain as too insignificant and ignore their needs. Whoever that does not have a working relationship with all local leaders will be doomed to have a contentious term and might not last long in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts