Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 10:27 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,207,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I was gonna try to do it the Democrat way.
Nah, you guys already showed what the "Republican" way is. Don't concede, fake electors, fake documents, arm-twist state officials, then when all else fails, sic a mob to use violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I came here in the '00s and people that came pre 9/11 told me how much easier it was to immigrate. The requirements were minimal back then and I am talking just a few years back
Sorry but that's totally misinformed. As one who immigrated way before 9/11, it was far from easy. And as one whose father immigrated in the 1950s, it was even tougher back in his day. The tide turned after the 1964-65 civil rights legislation, which swayed the attitude toward immigrants of color.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:39 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sorry but that's totally misinformed. As one who immigrated way before 9/11, it was far from easy. And as one whose father immigrated in the 1950s, it was even tougher back in his day. The tide turned after the 1964-65 civil rights legislation, which swayed the attitude toward immigrants of color.
I said much easier, not overall super-easy.

The fact that 9/11 had a huge effect on immigration is a well-known thing.
https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/_file/I...ublication.pdf

https://www.boundless.com/research/h...ration-system/

The chances of visas being denied is much higher than ever before. The chance of having random checks when you are renewing the visa is much higher.
For instance where I used to work I know of quite a few immigrants from EU countries who received visa renewals after months-long delays. A delay of 2-3 months during renwal means you already have a job in the US, it's not unfathomable for your employer to terminate your contract since you cannot work. All the people I know maintained their employment without pay during the period.
For Chinese citizens this is almost the norm.
I was told by immigration lawyers this was rare and basically unheard of for Europeans until a few years back.

Last edited by Lampert; 09-16-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-16-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I said much easier, not overall super-easy.

The fact that 9/11 had a huge effect on immigration is a well-known thing.
https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/_file/I...ublication.pdf

https://www.boundless.com/research/h...ration-system/
Agree that security concerns came in after 9/11, but I take issue with the "much". There was a trickle of immigrants from South Asia back in the 1950s and 1960s, relative to what it was in the decade post-9/11.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:00 AM

1,903 posts, read 1,418,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
On the other hand, there are certainly out of touch officials (calling the arrival of 50 migrants a "humanitarian crisis" is out of touch and an overreaction) and there are absolutely are islanders who definitely don't want migrants coming to the island and can't wait to get them out of there.
Yeah, that didn’t take them long.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:02 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,926,408 times
Just another reason for New England to become its own republic.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree that security concerns came in after 9/11, but I take issue with the "much". There was a trickle of immigrants from South Asia back in the 1950s and 1960s, relative to what it was in the decade post-9/11.
Ok, I certainly don't have a comprehensive enough understanding of the immigration laws dating back 40-50 years. SO maybe it wasn't much easier but it was easier in a way that is noticeable enough by people that work in the field.

Anyway, my whole point was just that the situation is ever changing, the requirements are ever changing and every time there is a change is not to make it easier.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:13 AM

976 posts, read 563,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Well naw, we do.

Massachusetts has such a low birth rate the state would decline and eventually collapse if we didn’t have a bunch of immigrants. The workforce population wouldn’t be able to support the retirees after a few decades. If we didn’t need them we wouldn’t make program to lure them here. Our politicians aren’t total idiots.
Low birth rates are due to cost of having kids here. Childcare and other things need to be improved, not sending poor people into extremely expensive state. Where do you see uneducated poor people working in MA and how will they afford living here?

I am an immigrant myself and I went from being in their situation to where I am now, but I just like absolute majority of my extended family had good technical higher education and wаs determined to find high paying jobs. I feel for people who have to survive here on low paying jobs. And mind you, when we moved here in 90-es manufacturing was still present in Massachusetts, so more jobs for uneducated people were present. Now it is mostly service jobs.

Last edited by BruinsGirl; 09-16-2022 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-16-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Change the law.
I agree a reform is needed. Most pro-immigration people do. A minuscule amount of delusional-progressives think there should be no-borders.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:28 AM

16,895 posts, read 8,569,313 times
If someone is in the top 1% they are out of touch with reality on how the rest of the country is affected by masses of immigrants showing up by the thousands per day.

The country is already not in a great place with inflation, housing costs, workers demanding more pay from everywhere. I again am really wondering who is taking these jobs at restaurants/hotels that have been so hard to fill for 2 years. It it's the immigrants. What exactly do they end up doing for work? In MA there just are not the same types of farming jobs that there are in CA , FL or TX...in many other states actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts