Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 12:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think you are overestimating the cranberry/fishing/dairy thing.

Restaurants and cleaning yes...but how many people actually want those jobs?

Lawn/Garden work there is there until it gets cold.
New Bedford is the largest (in gross) fishing port in the USA and it has been for 20 straight years. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars.

Gloucester is up there as well.

Massachusetts is 1/2 with Wisconsin (not sure who is #1 now, but Mass was #1 for decades until Wisconsin really jumped up in the late 90s) for cranberry growing.

Huge industries. Fishing and processing of the catch are labor intensive. Cranberry a bit less so.

Kind of hard to "overestimate" when you're #1 or 2 in the entire country in very lucrative ag industries.

There is not as much ag in Mass as a century ago, but there is still a great deal.

Lawn / Garden becomes snow removal in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 12:24 PM

975 posts, read 560,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I mean, there isn't much more than everyone else doesn't know already. We consume a tremendous amount of illegal drugs in this country and the money we spend flows to cartels throughout Latin America which perpetuates incredible violence, corruption, and myriad of other destabilizing impacts on the countries that many of these migrants are fleeing.
Again, we consume... Who are we? People are arrested and put in jail for this - both pushers and users. It is not like we are talking about orange juice. Many Americans will not be consuming drugs if they were not easily available! I am from the country where drugs were not available. I only saw drugs on TV in Western movies. Even MJ, much less hard drugs. I learned that you really need to be vigilant when raising a kid here. (We arrived with 4.5 years old).

Last edited by BruinsGirl; 09-16-2022 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,084,321 times
Quote:
There are lots of agricultural jobs in Mass. Huge cranberry operations, dairy, lots of fishing (two of the highest grossing ports in the country), processing of the catch needs to be done as well, heck, I was in Southwick yesterday (and adjacent CT) and I was slowed multiple times by tractors pulling tobacco leaves bringing them to the drying barns. Friends in VT absolutely cannot get enough farm help on their dairy farms. I look at all the roofers and garden/lawn workers, tons of migrants in those workforces. Restaurants use a ton too. Cleaning services. They're all throughout the economy, and loads of economists believe we need far more in the future.

The real bummer with people complaining about migrants is little to no thought is given to the extensive U.S. complicity in destabilizing many of the countries that these people are coming from in the first place. Most people would prefer to stay where they were born, near family. They leave because they have little to no choice. Our CIA has supported so many coups over the years throughout Latin America. Our School of the Americas training forces from Latin America complicit in uncounted cases of oppression, torture and civil rights abuses. Sanctions on countries because we dont' approve of the government, which primarily hurt the regular person, not the elite rulers. Our insatiable thirst for drugs and our unwillingness to invest in policies and programs that could reduce this thirst and the brutal criminality that comes with all this money we spend on drugs; and on the War on Drugs which always was going to be a (profitable for the right groups) failure. I mean, we could stop fueling the fire instead of just whining about the heat. Nah. That would be sane public policy. We can't have that.

Farm work? What are you babbling about amigo? Asylum jefe, asylum! Refugee! Welfare! Dinero, dinero!

Old 09-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Again, we consume... Who are we? People are arrested and put in jail for this - both pushers and users. It is not like we are talking about orange juice. Many Americans will not be consuming drugs if they were not easily available! I am from the country where drugs were not available. I only saw drugs on TV in Western movies. Even MJ, much less hard drugs. I learned that you really need to be vigilant when raising a kid here. (We arrived with 4.5 years old).
There were plenty of junkies, you just didn't hear about it because there was no sex in USSR(tm)

Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
We = People in this country. If simply jailing people worked, we wouldn't have a problem. It doesn't. It does cost an incredible amount of money though. As long as the demand is there, the availability is there. That will ALWAYS be the case with anything, including illegal vices, no matter the penalties.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
We = People in this country. If simply jailing people worked, we wouldn't have a problem. It doesn't. It does cost an incredible amount of money though. As long as the demand is there, the availability is there. That will ALWAYS be the case with anything, including illegal vices, no matter the penalties.
What would our cities look like if we let the crack epidemic run unchecked?

Old 09-16-2022, 01:31 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,382,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_burbs View Post
just another reason for new england to become its own republic.
You won't be missed !

Old 09-16-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
There were plenty of junkies, you just didn't hear about it because there was no sex in USSR(tm)
There were drunks, no doubts, but not drug users. I grew up in outskirts of big city, I also was teaching for several years after USSR split. You cannot miss drug problems here, even in our well off suburbs. There it was really not an issue at all. Maybe in republics of Central Asia. We knew NOTHING about drugs... how they look, how drug users look. Really nothing. All I knew was from movies, that drug users use syringes. This problem arose in 90-s after we left.

You know how that phrase about sex in USSR really sounded, right?

Old 09-16-2022, 01:37 PM

16,810 posts, read 8,518,636 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
What would our cities look like if we let the crack epidemic run unchecked?
Brockton

Old 09-16-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
US is not the only country on Earth. Do you think people here are different that in many other countries? Yet we have pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts