Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 01:46 PM

16,844 posts, read 8,532,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
US is not the only country on Earth. Do you think people here are different that in many other countries? Yet we have pandemic.
I agree. I still wonder why everyone comes here! I guess we make it easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 02:04 PM

976 posts, read 561,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree. I still wonder why everyone comes here! I guess we make it easy.
US is great, but just moving masses of people from poor countries does not make any sense. It works good in countries with large or developing manufacturing. I am sure even in US there are better areas in this regard than Massachusetts. Massachusetts is good for highly paid newcomers or people with potential to get good jibs. It is very difficult to start here. I am from Ukraine originally, from Eastern part. My city of Kharkiv/Kharkov is literally bombed daily, but when I am asked if people should use Uniting for Ukraine program or European programs I look hard at what person does in life. Just working here does not necessarily pays even for rent.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times
Quote:
US is not the only country on Earth. Do you think people here are different that in many other countries? Yet we have pandemic.
People may not be different. Our policies are very different. Different policies, actions, and approaches leads to different outcomes among the same or similar people.

Some countries , such as Iceland and their approach to alcohol and drugs, changed their policies and achieve great results (they cut alcohol and drug use roughly in half) in reduction in alcohol and drug use. We don't. Researchers know what leads to drug use, they know what leads to reductions in drug use. We just continually decide to spend more on programs that make $$ for some, that don't lead to positive results.

As result, our actions and policies lead to destabilizing countries that create migrant issues. We could change, we could (almost) eliminate black markets that fuel crime and makes the trade so lucrative. We choose not to. We never, as a country, look inward at what we did to exacerbate this problem. We don't take responsibility.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:33 PM

I do see professional people moving here as well to work on a visa or maybe they marry someone here but again...why does everyone need to be here? Many of these companies have places to work all over the world.

A family member of mine just married someone from Europe. They are currently both living in NYC. I kind of wonder why they don't live in Europe? Apparently her family owns vineyards and mansions in Europe and buildings in Canada but for whatever reason they want to be here. It's like the mindset is, oh I have to be in the US even though there are other places to be...and I'm not sure why.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,085,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
People may not be different. Our policies are very different. Different policies, actions, and approaches leads to different outcomes among the same or similar people.

Some countries , such as Iceland and their approach to alcohol and drugs, changed their policies and achieve great results (they cut alcohol and drug use roughly in half) in reduction in alcohol and drug use. We don't. Researchers know what leads to drug use, they know what leads to reductions in drug use. We just continually decide to spend more on programs that make $$ for some, that don't lead to positive results.

As result, our actions and policies lead to destabilizing countries that create migrant issues. We could change, we could (almost) eliminate black markets that fuel crime and makes the trade so lucrative. We choose not to. We never, as a country, look inward at what we did to exacerbate this problem. We don't take responsibility.
Amigo, you do realize all your darling icelands and portugals come down on peddlers like a ton of bricks and don't tolerate tweakers commiting any crime, right? Clowns like you look at their drug policy and never read past "decriminalize drugs" - Portland actually tried it in real life, I heard it didn't turn out too well.

Everyone isn't here. There is a large world full of places much larger than Boston, larger than Massachusetts, and even larger than NYC, and way way waaaay more densely populated than the USA as a whole, and their populations grow much faster than ours

Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Everyone isn't here. There is a large world full of places much larger than Boston, larger than Massachusetts, and even larger than NYC, and way way waaaay more densely populated than the USA as a whole, and their populations grow much faster than ours
sure India and China...and many of them come here too.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:38 PM

10,068 posts, read 15,752,612 times
Quote:
US is great, but just moving masses of people from poor countries does not make any sense. It works good in countries with large or developing manufacturing. I am sure even in US there are better areas in this regard than Massachusetts. Massachusetts is good for highly paid newcomers or people with potential to get good jibs. It is very difficult to start here. I am from Ukraine originally, from Eastern part. My city of Kharkiv/Kharkov is literally bombed daily, but when I am asked if people should use Uniting for Ukraine program or European programs I look hard at what person does in life. Just working here does not necessarily pays even for rent.
People from parts of the US don't understand how much it costs to live here in the Boston area. We can't expect people from Europe to.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
sure India and China...and many of them come here too.
And many many other places.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:44 PM

the places where populations grow the fastest tend to be poor.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-growth-rate/

The world doesnt need more of them

It is frustrating when people dont understand or dont care that they are ruining the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts