Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 03:09 PM

3,754 posts, read 1,953,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"Lawrence’s homeless coordinator, Kelly Frazier, says the city’s official homeless population is about 100."
See: https://www.eagletribune.com/news/me...fcdb68081.html

So even if the actual number is 3x the official number, it's still a small fraction of the total Lawrence population (80,000).
"Lawrence’s homeless coordinator, Kelly Frazier, says the city’s official homeless population is about 100.

These are just people she has spoken to. She suspects there are more of them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 03:12 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,085,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are many people who think Lawrence is a great city. In fact my college professor Xiaming Chen- dedicated a whole class period to the beauty of Lawrence as a success story.. do I agree- not really, but many many do.

Lawrence's crime rate is pretty low and its dramatically reduced poverty since 2010.

Mass. city turned its school system around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgqRhe7V-Fo
Lawrence is a success - no further questions your honor!

Also homie I hope you got a full ride, otherwise you most certainly got ripped off.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:13 PM

16,831 posts, read 8,532,803 times
Default re

Quote:
Yea but Lawrence…

They’re not white, so it’s like aghh
No one said anything about non white immigrants except you.

But tell me, what unskilled white workers are coming in huge numbers by the day to MA or any country in the US really?

Old 10-13-2022, 04:06 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,968,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
No one said anything about non white immigrants except you.

But tell me, what unskilled white workers are coming in huge numbers by the day to MA or any country in the US really?
wrong, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
They're all nameless, faceless, brown masses after all.
but um...
I don't know all the immigrant's skills and their numbers coming to MA or the US. I know about 200,000 European immigrants total are in MA. Not sure how many ae white but Safe to assume their not all in biopharma or tech.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
wrong, again...

but um...
I don't know all the immigrant's skills and their numbers coming to MA or the US. I know about 200,000 European immigrants total are in MA. Not sure how many ae white but Safe to assume their not all in biopharma or tech.
People living in Europe don't have a whole lot of reasons to come to the US anymore unless they're escaping the Ukraine or Russia...and those folks are often educated. The white immigrants I know typically moved here for college, work or they married someone already here. Im not saying there aren't exceptions and the same can be said for non-whites as well. Lots of physicians move here from other countries...but overall the amount of people moving here from 3rd world countries is alarming. I dont see how we can continue to be a great country with our own birth rate being low/down and having so many uneducated/unskilled people come here every day. We have plenty of unskilled people born here who can't afford an education.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:04 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,085,494 times
Quote:
wrong, again...

but um...
Funny enough homie there's a very good chance they are in fact working in pharma or tech - it takes a lot of time, hard work and resources to get in meaning vast majority of *immigrants* are well-educated, at least somewhat affluent and with in-demand skills. Different story with the asylum jefe, asylum illegal alien herds, obviously, but you're only talking about immigrants and made no mention of anyone else.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:28 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,201,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"Lawrence’s homeless coordinator, Kelly Frazier, says the city’s official homeless population is about 100."
See: https://www.eagletribune.com/news/me...fcdb68081.html

So even if the actual number is 3x the official number, it's still a small fraction of the total Lawrence population (80,000).
No, not facts!! You're gonna confuse 'em!

Old 10-13-2022, 05:33 PM

I think what people are saying is that we don't need anymore Lawrences, Brockton's, Fall River, new bedfords, tauntons etc. there has to be a place for low income people to live but the point is that the majority of people living in those areas are low skilled and uneducated, many not even working.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:33 PM

12,645 posts, read 9,805,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
"Lawrence’s homeless coordinator, Kelly Frazier, says the city’s official homeless population is about 100.

These are just people she has spoken to. She suspects there are more of them."
And as I wrote, even if the true number is 3x the official estimate, it's a tiny fraction of the city. I honestly can't believe that you're just asserting that over half the people are homeless, out of thin air - you've just decided that that's how many there are. If there were anywhere remotely close to that, they'd be all over the place, on all the sidewalks.

This is an estimated crowd of 40,000 who attended the Women's March in Austin, TX on Saturday, January 21st 2017. And of course, this is just a fraction of them, many of them are clearly off camera. Is this what you're saying Lawrence looks like in terms of the throngs of homeless???

Old 10-13-2022, 05:36 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,968,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think what people are saying is that we don't need anymore Lawrences, Brockton's, Fall River, new bedfords, tauntons etc. there has to be a place for low income people to live but the point is that the majority of people living in those areas are low skilled and uneducated, many not even working.
Not really true about Brockton.

I know what MA does need- more jobs for unskilled workers that pay a livable wage. And much much more housing for those people and for all people of all income brackets.

We know Maura Healey's administration is going to lead to increased immigration- not decreased-so I think the plan and focus needs to be on housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts