Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2023, 07:46 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just how is it the corporations' "fault"???

I mean, shame on them for bringing high paying jobs to the area...
there's no shame in it but anyone who doesn't get one of those high paying jobs (which is a good amount of people) gets left out of the crazy housing market and can't find a decent place to live. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 07:57 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
there's no shame in it but anyone who doesn't get one of those high paying jobs (which is a good amount of people) gets left out of the crazy housing market and can't find a decent place to live. Who knew?

I posted this in another thread. While not the greatest source (and it's overlooking some key points imo), it helps explain some of the issue.

A hundred years of choking housing growth catches up with Massachusetts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...ts/ar-AA19FSos

Old 04-12-2023, 08:03 AM

I read that. I'm not sure how I feel about it as I don't think the answer is to destroy what nature we have left to build more homes. The problem is the amount of money people have and are willing to pay for basic homes. Seems like people hate that answer but it is what it is.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I read that. I'm not sure how I feel about it as I don't think the answer is to destroy what nature we have left to build more homes. The problem is the amount of money people have and are willing to pay for basic homes. Seems like people hate that answer but it is what it is.

OK let's start confiscating wealth then, since we can't let the free market solve the issue.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:35 AM

Default re

Quote:
OK let's start confiscating wealth then, since we can't let the free market solve the issue.
I didn't say that either but crowding towns is not what people want either.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that either but crowding towns is not what people want either.

Nobody said they did. But it's also unrealistic to expect anywhere 45 minutes from a major city to remain frozen in time.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
You seem to think that a “basic home” is a single family home. Land is too expensive to do that. If you can’t afford it, a basic home is a condo in a high rise that is hopefully near good public transportation and has a pretty good walk score. Boston/Cambridge where people want to live fight those to the death.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:48 AM

Default re

Quote:
Nobody said they did. But it's also unrealistic to expect anywhere 45 minutes from a major city to remain frozen in time.
Not sure what you mean by frozen in time? I've seen that said here more than once. I don't think ANY town 45 min within Boston is frozen in time at all. I am about 40 min from Boston (without traffic) and there's been new homes and developments going up to the point that it does seem to be a bit much. Also more and more new restaurants. It's certainly not the same place it was 4 or 5 years ago. What is happening in the towns that are even closer to Boston?

Old 04-12-2023, 09:06 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by frozen in time? I've seen that said here more than once. I don't think ANY town 45 min within Boston is frozen in time at all. I am about 40 min from Boston (without traffic) and there's been new homes and developments going up to the point that it does seem to be a bit much. Also more and more new restaurants. It's certainly not the same place it was 4 or 5 years ago. What is happening in the towns that are even closer to Boston?
"Frozen in time" might by hyperbole (though it does seem like that's what some people would like to do), but growth in MA is not keeping the pace with demand by a long shot. If you spend some time in other metro areas it's hard to miss how much more rapidly they're developing.

It's a complex issue. For all of the "Boston's too crowded!" talk, there is a ton of undeveloped in and immediately adjacent to the city (Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, Quincy, etc.) and underutilized space that could accommodate higher density development and the city itself is still around 150,000 people short of its historic peak. But it needs the T to work efficiently in order for that to happen. We know how that's going. Our "gateway cities" should be targets for reinvestment rather than being left to decay. Many have stagnated or shrunk and have housing stock, space, and infrastructure to accommodate more growth. But developers are still largely hesitant to invest and there aren't many incentives on the federal/state/local level to encourage more investment. Suburban areas should at least have pockets where large scale development is encouraged. Obvious spots would be around transit stations, abandoned or underutilized space (i.e. Devens, Weymouth NAS, old industrial parks, etc.), and major highway interchanges. Even in areas where this is sort of happening (i.e. Weymouth NAS), it's been allowed to stagnate and/or been caught up in an overwrought regulatory process (which opponents use to their advantage to kill projects dead).

You don't need to destroy all of forested Eastern MA to drastically increase the housing stock.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:22 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
"Frozen in time" might by hyperbole (though it does seem like that's what some people would like to do), but growth in MA is not keeping the pace with demand by a long shot. If you spend some time in other metro areas it's hard to miss how much more rapidly they're developing.

It's a complex issue. For all of the "Boston's too crowded!" talk, there is a ton of undeveloped in and immediately adjacent to the city (Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, Quincy, etc.) and underutilized space that could accommodate higher density development and the city itself is still around 150,000 people short of its historic peak. But it needs the T to work efficiently in order for that to happen. We know how that's going. Our "gateway cities" should be targets for reinvestment rather than being left to decay. Many have stagnated or shrunk and have housing stock, space, and infrastructure to accommodate more growth. But developers are still largely hesitant to invest and there aren't many incentives on the federal/state/local level to encourage more investment. Suburban areas should at least have pockets where large scale development is encouraged. Obvious spots would be around transit stations, abandoned or underutilized space (i.e. Devens, Weymouth NAS, old industrial parks, etc.), and major highway interchanges. Even in areas where this is sort of happening (i.e. Weymouth NAS), it's been allowed to stagnate and/or been caught up in an overwrought regulatory process (which opponents use to their advantage to kill projects dead).

You don't need to destroy all of forested Eastern MA to drastically increase the housing stock.
You speak god's words lol. C/D told me to stop reppin you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts