Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 09:21 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You really think that 10-20% of those vehicles on the road at rush hour are making unnecessary commutes???
Um yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 09:31 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Remember that a 20%, 15% or even 10% drop in vehicle volume on the roads during rush hour would be beneficial to those who have to be physically present to do their jobs. It isn't just the WFH crowd that derives a benefit from WFH.
When I get down to Massachusetts which is perhaps 2x a month for several days at a time . The pre pandemic midday traffic was much lighter than Post Pandemic traffic More .folks maybe WFH but not the 6-8 hours a day they did in the office . After the required video conferencing a lot of WFH folks are on the road.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:34 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess that's what I'd like to see come back. More homes for around 500k...not affordable housing either.
requires building shtt ton.

affordable housing is what gets built instead. You can create 500k units directly rather than rely ing on building a ton.

What you want is a few 500k homes to be built market rate- its impossible.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:35 AM

849 posts, read 554,706 times
The commuter rails should be used more. Maybe most people just need to change their habit.

I know a European woman who also lived in Japan. She takes the train from Boston to Lowell to work every day, although she has a car. She just thinks taking the train makes more sense. Most people (including myself) won't think like her because of the car culture.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
The commuter rails should be used more. Maybe most people just need to change their habit.

I know a European woman who also lived in Japan. She takes the train from Boston to Lowell to work every day, although she has a car. She just thinks taking the train makes more sense. Most people (including myself) won't think like her because of the car culture.
They're prohibitively expensive, especially for low-income people in the gateway cities they serve. And their diesel engines that run infrequently and stop at 10pm.

Metro North and PATCO and LIRR are electric and 24/7 or very close to it. Cleaner, quieter and faster.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:45 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
requires building shtt ton.

affordable housing is what gets built instead. You can create 500k units directly rather than rely ing on building a ton.

What you want is a few 500k homes to be built market rate- its impossible.

Which is what we are doing. And continuing to fck the middle class.

But the alternative is of course building 1/2 a shtt ton of $800K homes which might ease the demand of existing older homes back down to where they cost $500K, etc..

Old 04-14-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Which is what we are doing. And continuing to fck the middle class.

But the alternative is of course building 1/2 a shtt ton of $800K homes which might ease the demand of existing older homes back down to where they cost $500K, etc..
IMO state needs to continue taking zoning privileges from towns. Allow a lot to be built and also build a lot of income-restricted (deeded) housing.

Look at this neighborhood I just came by last night in Maryland.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/81...g%2F11c4vpvkjm

Now this is potential "overbuilt" I could see that argument. but id rather opt for this than nothing.

MsRB, this is what it would take for naturally occurring affordability an sub 500k homes.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:17 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post

I've already decided that if I do ever go into the office I will not be taking the train. I have a commuter rail that is about 10 min way from me and it just isn't worth it. I would have to drive 10 min in the opposite direction, get into the parking lot and find a spot (which I think I'd have to pay for), wait for a train, spend an hour on the train (could be more if there are delays) and switch to two other trains I believe and THEN I would have a 10 min walk. My workplace just isn't in a good area as far as train access goes (long wood area).

Old 04-14-2023, 10:18 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
IMO state needs to continue taking zoning privileges from towns. Allow a lot to be built and also build a lot of income-restricted (deeded) housing.

Look at this neighborhood I just came by last night in Maryland.

Now this is potential "overbuilt" I could see that argument. but id rather opt for this than nothing.

MsRB, this is what it would take for naturally occurring affordability an sub 500k homes.
Yuck.

I guess I'd prefer where we're at now than have that everywhere.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yuck.

I guess I'd prefer where we're at now than have that everywhere.
Yeah... seems like people either want cheap or an SFH. Building stuff like that wouldn't help either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts