Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2023, 12:00 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
With current interest rates at 10% down, that's only about 400K. Since buying means I'd be locked in for a few years, I'd need to be both close enough to work and at least have 3 bedrooms because if I'm going to have kids, I'll need to do it during that time period. There's nothing at that price point within an hour of work. Obviously lots of people do it smaller, but with two people who work partially from home and a 165 lb dog, a 2 bedroom with a baby or toddler really isn't feasible.

Not to mention if I wanted to extend my lease at this point to wait for a closing even if I bought something tomorrow, they'd charge $5K a month for a short term lease.
165 lb dog....woah... a Great Dane? How did you manage to find an apartment that allows that size? I've heard many places cap the weight limit on dogs at 25 lbs. $5K for short term rental sounds like a crazy price too unless it's a direct waterfront property or something. Yeah, this is just a terrible time to be in the market. I know I was seriously looking for awhile a couple months back but put my plans on hold until market conditions change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 12:41 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
With current interest rates at 10% down, that's only about 400K. Since buying means I'd be locked in for a few years, I'd need to be both close enough to work and at least have 3 bedrooms because if I'm going to have kids, I'll need to do it during that time period. There's nothing at that price point within an hour of work. Obviously lots of people do it smaller, but with two people who work partially from home and a 165 lb dog, a 2 bedroom with a baby or toddler really isn't feasible.

Not to mention if I wanted to extend my lease at this point to wait for a closing even if I bought something tomorrow, they'd charge $5K a month for a short term lease.
Renting sounds better than owning by a lot for your situation.

What do you feel you're missing by not owning?

Last edited by simplexsimon; 04-16-2023 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 01:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Renting sounds better than owning by a lot for your situation.

What do you feel you're missing by not owning?
Well, if the crash doesn't happen, housing prices close to Boston are going to continue to go up.Yet if the crash happens, prices could still go up and OP could lose their job.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:27 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Well, if the crash doesn't happen, housing prices close to Boston are going to continue to go up.Yet if the crash happens, prices could still go up and OP could lose their job.
But she can't buy what she wants. She's able to get it through renting, there's value in that.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:42 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
and a 165 lb dog
The way I see it, you have 2 realistic choices:

1. Stay where you are, renew your lease, and deal with the commute.

2. Buy a house and pay the ridiculous short term lease price until closing.

With the way the rental scene is in the Boston area, I think you're going to have tremendous difficulty finding a place that will allow a 165 lb dog. Your current place is ok with it.

Last edited by redplum33; 04-16-2023 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 04:52 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
165 lb dog....woah... a Great Dane? How did you manage to find an apartment that allows that size? I've heard many places cap the weight limit on dogs at 25 lbs. $5K for short term rental sounds like a crazy price too unless it's a direct waterfront property or something. Yeah, this is just a terrible time to be in the market. I know I was seriously looking for awhile a couple months back but put my plans on hold until market conditions change.
Leonberger - they're pretty rare. Right now he lives on the farm where my boyfriend and his family live and the small business is based. They rescue big dogs like Newfies and St. Bernards, which is how my boyfriend got his leo. He definitely wasn't thinking about the Boston rental market, though! There are places that take big dogs - a lot only have bitey breed restrictions - but overall it really limits availability.

We'll find something that works, just will be more likely to end up in another big corporately managed complex, which I was trying to avoid. But overall, it's wild how expensive and limited the market is. It's no wonder none of my friends have kids in our mid 30s and why so many couples - including married - are still living with roommates!

Old 04-16-2023, 04:54 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The way I see it, you have 2 realistic choices:

1. Stay where you are, renew your lease, and deal with the commute.

2. Buy a house and pay the ridiculous short term lease price until closing.

With the way the rental scene is in the Boston area, I think you're going to have tremendous difficulty finding a place that will allow a 165 lb dog. Your current place is ok with it.
My current place is not OK with it, which is part of the reason we need to move. The dog does not live here and is unable to visit, and the 3 hour round trip commutes are killing me (literally - the weight gain alone from lack of activity, quick meals, and stress is tough to deal with).

Old 04-16-2023, 04:57 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I say get pregnant now so you can go on leave and not have any commute. Then when it's time to go back say you have a medical issue requiring you to wfh. Or just say you have to wfh and get a drs note and stay where you are.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:00 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I say get pregnant now so you can go on leave and not have any commute. Then when it's time to go back say you have a medical issue requiring you to wfh. Or just say you have to wfh and get a drs note and stay where you are.

Um, that's not how the world works.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Um, that's not how the world works.
I've seen it work that way for some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts