Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 01:04 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That's not an SFH. That's a townhome. SFH is SFH.
a townhome is a SFH home. Thats the rule.

Via Rocket Mortgage
The U.S. Census Bureau, for example, includes certain attached dwellings, such as townhouses, in its definition of “single-family house,” as long as these dwellings are separated by a ground-to-roof wall.

SFH detached is what your referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 01:30 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That's not an SFH. That's a townhome. SFH is SFH.
Right, why not just accept that there can be towns that exist that don't have these compact apts/condos/townhomes shoved together. There are some towns that make sense for that to happen but certainly not everywhere.

Some of you are acting like all of MA has just SFH sitting on these big plots of land. That isn't the case everywhere especially as you get closer to the city. I grew up in milton in a neighborhood that had lots of homes on it close together.

I really don't think adding additional town homes will enable there to be a significant drop in SFHs.

Last edited by msRB311; 04-14-2023 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 01:33 PM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
108,000 is not upper middle class anymore it's middle of the road. in MA that puts you between Lynnfield and Littleton. Nothing bad but not something to brag about I would say.
According to point2homes, the median household income of Littleton is $140,511, and Lynnfield $147,237.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
According to point2homes, the median household income of Littleton is $140,511, and Lynnfield $147,237.
I just checked on wikipedia. They are probably outdated, even worse.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I just checked on wikipedia. They are probably outdated, even worse.
Those are straight out of the census data.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ly...pmassachusetts

Old 04-14-2023, 04:04 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
requires building shtt ton.

affordable housing is what gets built instead. You can create 500k units directly rather than rely ing on building a ton.

What you want is a few 500k homes to be built market rate- its impossible.
Deed restricted affordable housing solves a different problem. Specifically, "a small handful of people would like better housing than they can afford at market rates". Depending on how you pick the small handful of people, it may be able to solve other problems as well.

"Building a ton" solves the problem of housing being too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
The commuter rails should be used more. Maybe most people just need to change their habit.

I know a European woman who also lived in Japan. She takes the train from Boston to Lowell to work every day, although she has a car. She just thinks taking the train makes more sense. Most people (including myself) won't think like her because of the car culture.
People don't just change habits for no reason. They make reasonable decisions. If the commuter rail become better than driving, people would use it. There's a lot of ways to make that happen, but simply suggesting that people use the commuter rail probably won't move the needle at all.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Deed restricted affordable housing solves a different problem. Specifically, "a small handful of people would like better housing than they can afford at market rates". Depending on how you pick the small handful of people, it may be able to solve other problems as well.

"Building a ton" solves the problem of housing being too expensive.

People don't just change habits for no reason. They make reasonable decisions. If the commuter rail become better than driving, people would use it. There's a lot of ways to make that happen, but simply suggesting that people use the commuter rail probably won't move the needle at all.
My daughter and SIL think the commuter rail where they live is great. They can get to South Station in about 30 minutes. Or they can take the commuter ferry to the Seaport and it’s about the same amount of time. Their walks from either to their offices is about 7-8 minutes. They have 2 cars, but SIL drove in one time and said never again.

I guess some won’t be happy unless mass transit picks them up at their front door and drops them in front of their office building, but others are happy not to have to fight traffic.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:52 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Acton/2-To.../home/11364836

You want affordable housing? Well.. this is the cheapest unit sold in the last 7 days that you could conceivably commute from - a condo in Acton. Just 159k albeit a $395 CF.

Bonus: Sellers claim that the tenant's been there 20 years and is currently paying $1500.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:33 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
who cares?

obviously the poster is referring to knowledge workers. pointing out that most jobs cannot be done remotely adds nothing to the conversation. ya... we got it, people have to physically make/do things. everyone above the age of 9 understands this, and yet no one cares.
Uhh I was replying to his post that said "I think it's a shame that so many work places are apparently not allowing people to WFH. I guess the people making these rules don't give a crap about the environment either. Sad. So many good things could have come out of people being remote."

And what exactly did your post add to the conversation?

Old 04-14-2023, 06:37 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Here is a fun listing. HOA is $1,028/mo for a 250k unit. This has to be a typo?? That's nearly as much as the mortgage. I would expect HOA to be around $250-300 in this price range.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts