Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2023, 10:07 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
You sure about that? Someone said helping out my parents was akin to giving cash to a drug addict, and another said they are a burden!
its typical Ma. sentiment! Its what Ma. has become. I have young neighbors who can afford to buy a 500,000 small house and some of them firmly believe the elderly have no right to own single family homes. They give lip service to the leftist philosophy but when push comes to shove dont expect these young people to help anyone. Some of the most selfish individuals Ive ever met. Affluence breeds arrogance, very alive and well in Ma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 10:08 AM

362 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Another Duxbury house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57177297_zpid/

Sold for 385k in 2019 now listed at 839k in 2023. Looks like some work was done to it, but wow. That is quite an increase for a small home in 4 years time. So so glad I am not in need of home in this area.
The exterior of this house is really charming. I like it a lot, as well as the property itself (including the trees/shade/privacy) - it reminds me of certain neighborhoods on the Cape. The interior layout seems a bit puzzling to me, though. Ultimately, I'd consider a property like this if I was actively hunting in Duxbury.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:12 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Another Duxbury house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57177297_zpid/

Sold for 385k in 2019 now listed at 839k in 2023. Looks like some work was done to it, but wow. That is quite an increase for a small home in 4 years time. So so glad I am not in need of home in this area.
I wouldn't be surprised the sellers get it... but that would be such an awful commute. You'd probably have to leave at 5 or else it'd take you an hour and a half+.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:13 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
its typical Ma. sentiment! Its what Ma. has become. I have young neighbors who can afford to buy a 500,000 small house and some of them firmly believe the elderly have no right to own single family homes. They give lip service to the leftist philosophy but when push comes to shove dont expect these young people to help anyone. Some of the most selfish individuals Ive ever met. Affluence breeds arrogance, very alive and well in Ma.
Who is saying elderly people have no right to own family homes? That seems a bit extreme. I do think part of what is happening in MA (and everywhere) is that people are living longer and staying in the homes they purchased decades ago. People used to downsize but it's not worth it for most people. Oh let me downside from my 900k home to a 700k condo. and I'm being fairly liberal when i say that. Condos and small homes are no longer cheap. I have no problem at all if elderly people choose to stay in their homes.

It's unfortunate that it's so difficult to find a home these days but I think people have it ingrained in their head that they want a SFH with a yard in a town with great schools that is close to Boston. Seems like the choices are to pay a lot of money for that or do something different and buy a condo or rent an apt. I don't see any of this 'lack of inventory' ending anytime soon.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:17 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I don't see any of this 'lack of inventory' ending anytime soon.

You think these non-downsizing boomers will all live forever?

Old 06-27-2023, 10:19 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You think these non-downsizing boomers will all live forever?
Oh no, they wont. So perhaps things will get better when they die is I guess one way of looking at things. I have neighbors in their 60's, maybe even 70ish who would like to downsize but they can't find anything. They could live to be in their 90's so if everyone in their 70's decides to stay put it will still be a while until they pass on.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:27 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Oh no, they wont. So perhaps things will get better when they die is I guess one way of looking at things. I have neighbors in their 60's, maybe even 70ish who would like to downsize but they can't find anything. They could live to be in their 90's so if everyone in their 70's decides to stay put it will still be a while until they pass on.

It's hard to predict when and what will happen, all I know is that a very large share of the housing stock in this area is held by that age/demographic. Could get interesting...

Old 06-27-2023, 10:29 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's hard to predict when and what will happen, all I know is that a very large share of the housing stock in this area is held by that age/demographic. Could get interesting...
yes lots of aging baby boomers. Hopefully it will make things better. I'm guessing many of those folks will be passing on the homes to kids/grandkids. Maybe they move in, maybe they sell. Either way I think it will be good for the real estate market...you would think, but who knows I guess.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:29 AM

362 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate that it's so difficult to find a home these days but I think people have it ingrained in their head that they want a SFH with a yard in a town with great schools that is close to Boston. Seems like the choices are to pay a lot of money for that or do something different and buy a condo or rent an apt. .
Being totally honest, that's exactly what I wanted. My wife and I managed to make it happen a couple years ago but budget wouldn't allow for it to be a grand or impressive house, to say the least. So instead, we had to settle for a not-so-great house that luckily met the SFH, town/school district, location requirements. Our backup plan was a condo in a good town close to Boston, but as parents who had lived through the start of the pandemic in an apartment (in a 2-family), we wanted some privacy and separation.

I'd still like to get out from under the house in a perfect world, but current market pricing doesn't really allow for that since I'd have to discard a 2.8x% mortgage and buy back into this market.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
yes lots of aging baby boomers. Hopefully it will make things better. I'm guessing many of those folks will be passing on the homes to kids/grandkids. Maybe they move in, maybe they sell. Either way I think it will be good for the real estate market...you would think, but who knows I guess.
By the time that age/demographic sells their houses, the next generation will say they're waiting for me to downsize or die so they can buy my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts