Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2023, 11:11 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

It is ridiculous. Part of the reason rents/COL are so high is (also price increases on many other things) because of people not paying back debt and the money given out during covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 11:14 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah chances are they will skate free, while those who were responsible and paid their debts will now lose out in the market to the prior group (and ultimately pay the price). Awesome world we live in now.
I understand the sentiment as I want those who owe the debt to repay it, but people with crushing school debt that don't plan to pay them off aren't exactly skating free. You can't do anything with poor credit, wages can be garnished, and student loans aren't written off in bankruptcy.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I understand the sentiment as I want those who owe the debt to repay it, but people with crushing school debt that don't plan to pay them off aren't exactly skating free. You can't do anything with poor credit, wages can be garnished, and student loans aren't written off in bankruptcy.
It's possible to have poor credit, marry someone who doesn't, only use their credit line when purchasing a house and get approved. I know people who've done that. So for some people bad credit doesn't always even matter.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's possible to have poor credit, marry someone who doesn't, only use their credit line when purchasing a house and get approved. I know people who've done that. So for some people bad credit doesn't always even matter.
Well yes, if one can dupe someone into supporting them then there's going to be less consequences. The individual would still owe the debt. And if the debt is paid off by the partner, then at least it's paid off which is what we all want.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:40 AM

Default re

Quote:
Well yes, if one can dupe someone into supporting them then there's going to be less consequences. The individual would still owe the debt. And if the debt is paid off by the partner, then at least it's paid off which is what we all want.
I guess i know a lot of women who duped someone into supporting them lol. I don't know what their credit is but many of them don't work while the husband does. I guess I don't think of it as duping someone if they decide to marry you knowing they'll be footing most of the bill.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:46 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Not the case if the federal government ends up forgiving it all.

Also, their credit is wiped clean in 7 years like none of it ever happened.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I guess i know a lot of women who duped someone into supporting them lol. I don't know what their credit is but many of them don't work while the husband does. I guess I don't think of it as duping someone if they decide to marry you knowing they'll be footing most of the bill.
"Duping" is probably too negative and judgmental on my part unless something is not communicated or intentionally hidden from the other person. But in the end we're talking about the repayment of student loan debt and if that happens that's great!

It's those that are unable to "score" one of these arrangements that will be stuck spinning their wheels forever.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:48 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not the case if the federal government ends up forgiving it all.

Also, their credit is wiped clean in 7 years like none of it ever happened.
I also dont get it...so are student loans just no longer going to be a thing? Are there people taking out loans for college now that they will never have to pay back if all this goes through? I am lost lol

Old 06-28-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I also dont get it...so are student loans just no longer going to be a thing? Are there people taking out loans for college now that they will never have to pay back if all this goes through? I am lost lol
Last I heard it's $10k of student loans - a lot of people owe less than that so in those cases it will be "all of the debt".

But isn't the average student loans for college grads $30-40k?

Old 06-28-2023, 11:58 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

But isn't the average student loans for college grads $30-40k?
$29-35K seems to be the average according to some articles i quickly pulled up.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-28-2023 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts