Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2023, 02:42 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If you can buy in a town with good schools and NOT use private schools, it’s a better use of your money. Homes, for the most part, appreciate in value. If needed, the home can be sold and the equity used in retirement. I’d never expect my kids to take financial care of me in my dotage so investing in a house makes more sense. YMMV.
Right most homes increase in value and that happens in any town in MA these days. To put it into perspective if you buy a 'cheaper' home in Hanover or Braintree and send your kids to Thayer or Nobles your money might end up going further and get a better education for the kid. I know you said your daughter or SIL lives in Hingham, you'd be surprised by how many people live in Hingham and still send their kids to private schools.

It all comes down to what you can afford but I see people really stretching themselves thin to live in places like Lexington or weston thinking the schools will make their kids smart. I used to think it made more sense to find a town with good public schools but homes have become so $$ and many public schools are going down the drain these days. I also think it comes down to the kid and how they learn best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 04:40 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right most homes increase in value and that happens in any town in MA these days. To put it into perspective if you buy a 'cheaper' home in Hanover or Braintree and send your kids to Thayer or Nobles your money might end up going further and get a better education for the kid. I know you said your daughter or SIL lives in Hingham, you'd be surprised by how many people live in Hingham and still send their kids to private schools.

It all comes down to what you can afford but I see people really stretching themselves thin to live in places like Lexington or weston thinking the schools will make their kids smart. I used to think it made more sense to find a town with good public schools but homes have become so $$ and many public schools are going down the drain these days. I also think it comes down to the kid and how they learn best.
A lot of the problem has to do with getting enough quality teachers into the profession. I mean look at all the crap teachers have to deal w/from punk a** kids with no respect. I can see why so many schools are understaffed. No one deserves to be subjected to that!

Old 04-20-2023, 04:54 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
A lot of the problem has to do with getting enough quality teachers into the profession. I mean look at all the crap teachers have to deal w/from punk a** kids with no respect. I can see why so many schools are understaffed. No one deserves to be subjected to that!
Agree. I personally think people just put too much emphasis on school ratings in MA. There's more to it than just putting your kid in a top 10 school and thinking you don't have to do anything else.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:12 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
Quote:
Agree. I personally think people just put too much emphasis on school ratings in MA. There's more to it than just putting your kid in a top 10 school and thinking you don't have to do anything else.
A lot of them are immigrants working in high tech fields or academia.
Good education is probably the best investment they can find. They don’t have social resources and don’t believe in pursuing interests or developing leadership etc.

Americans don’t “have to” follow that.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:40 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
A lot of them are immigrants working in high tech fields or academia.
Good education is probably the best investment they can find. They don’t have social resources and don’t believe in pursuing interests or developing leadership etc.

Americans don’t “have to” follow that.
This seems like odd advice. In my experience the parents that care so much about top 10 school districts care about everything. They are super involved in their kid's lives in every possible way and the kids are doing tons in and outside of school.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:42 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This seems like odd advice. In my experience the parents that care so much about top 10 school districts care about everything. They are super involved in their kid's lives in every possible way and the kids are doing tons in and outside of school.
I'm not saying everyone is doing the same thing.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
I'm not saying everyone is doing the same thing.
I am saying I’ve never run into the mythical person who worries about a “top 10 school district” and then just thinks that is enough. I’ve run into plenty of the first set and a few of the second set, but never were they the same person.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:47 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
Quote:
They are trying to build a CV with extracurricular activities, which are essential for top colleges.
So it’s still “education”.

My cousin also follows his son everywhere to attend competitions, for the same reason.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:26 PM

You're really reading into what I said. For the record I do know people who moved to a good school district and didn't do much else than that for the kids education.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:13 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Those are called helicopter parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts