Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 03:24 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
But some are easily meeting those obligations, and as long as they're willing to do so, sellers will be willing to pocket the difference selling to them. Whether they're 5% or 50% of the population is irrelevant so long as there's enough of them (which there clearly are) to keep the prices at their level of competition.

Those who strain to buy are indeed desperate, but that's on them for trying to keep up with the people who can easily afford it. The desperate buyers aren't the ones propping the market up. They're noise in the equation; bandits in the marathon, if you will.
Those percentages very well could matter when people start selling again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 03:42 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Are you kidding me? People look each other up on Google all the time. If it weren't for the internet I might not even know their house sold for what it did.
I have never looked up what a friend or neighbor bought or sold their house for. I have done extensive research on specific locations when I’m looking to buy or sell but I’m looking at houses without any knowledge of who owns them. I guess I just don’t feel the need to know the specific prices paid by people I know. To me, it feels voyeuristic even though I know it’s public information. To be clear I’m not saying you’re doing anything wrong. I’m just saying doing the same isn’t for me.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:59 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
We are 30 something and bought a home. Our parents didn't help with anything, in fact we help our parents out with finances. It can be done. One neighbor asked if we paid for our house or if our parents did, it must have been someone here LoL. We have many friends and family members who came from nothing and can afford a home in MA without parent's help. MA has some of the best schools in the world, why wouldn't people be able to?

Last edited by matrix5k; 06-19-2023 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-19-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Poor comprehension. Because I can afford something doesn't mean I should buy it.
With that logic, Corvette would sell zero cars then. People can buy stuff even if it doesn't make financial sense. Otherwise no one would own a car above 10k, no one would own an iPhone or go on vacation, eat out etc. There's obviously a market for the Corvette just as there's a market for expensive homes.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:14 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
We are 30 something and bought a home. Our parents didn't help with anything, in fact we help our parents out with finances. It can be done. One neighbor asked if we paid for our house or if our parents did, it must have been someone here LoL. We have many friend and family members who came from nothing and can afford a home in MA without parent's help. MA has some of the best schools in the world, why wouldn't people be able to?
Unless you both have super duper wealth, I don't see how helping parents (or anyone for that matter) out with finances is going to do you any good to secure your own family's financial future? I'm not trying to sound cruel but it's almost like handing cash to a drug addict. It begs the question is it a form of enablement or is there another way besides handing out $$ that could better help their situation? This all being said without me knowing the details of course but I know for me I'd see it as potentially causing financial instability for my own household, depending on the level of financial assistance I was giving someone, when I have my own mortgage, insurance, food, utility, etc. bills to pay.

Don't get me wrong I've heard of some situations before where a 40 yo son is paying his mom's cell bill. She doesn't work but yet somehow has money to buy a pack of cigs every couple of days. All these scenarios vary but some just make no sense!

Old 06-19-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Unless you both have super duper wealth, I don't see how helping parents (or anyone for that matter) out with finances is going to do you any good to secure your own family's financial future? I'm not trying to sound cruel but it's almost like handing cash to a drug addict. It begs the question is it a form of enablement or is there another way besides handing out $$ that could better help their situation? This all being said without me knowing the details of course but I know for me I'd see it as potentially causing financial instability for my own household, depending on the level of financial assistance I was giving someone, when I have my own mortgage, insurance, food, utility, etc. bills to pay.

Don't get me wrong I've heard of some situations before where a 40 yo son is paying his mom's cell bill. She doesn't work but yet somehow has money to buy a pack of cigs every couple of days. All these scenarios vary but some just make no sense!
Helping out my parents is like giving cash to an addict? Wtf?

Old 06-19-2023, 04:21 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Helping our my parents is like giving drugs to an addict? Wtf?
Well, as in my example of the son who pays his mom's cell bill when she doesn't work but yet can still somehow 'afford' a pack of cigs a day. To me, that type of scenario is a form of enablement akin to giving $$ to a drug addict.

On the flip side, if it were giving money to mom for a short period of time b/c she's out of work while recovering from a surgery that's a totally other situation.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:28 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
With that logic, Corvette would sell zero cars then. People can buy stuff even if it doesn't make financial sense. Otherwise no one would own a car above 10k, no one would own an iPhone or go on vacation, eat out etc. There's obviously a market for the Corvette just as there's a market for expensive homes.
This is a waste of time.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is a waste of time.
And all the posts here that complain about home selling prices aren't? LoL.

You asked a question about the Corvette and 3 or 4 separate people gave you the exact same answer.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:30 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Exactly. Debating about this is a waste of time. My mind won't be changed in that I think what some people are paying for a place to live is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts