Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 11:08 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
that really struck a nerve with you for some reason. I don't know you or your parents, if you're ok with what you're doing why do you care what strangers on the internet think? For many people having to give their parents money would be a burden to them. You really care a lot about what people here think. So yeah I also have to ask are you ok? What other people think here should not get you so riled up. It's fine to debate but not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you.
I have nothing to complain about.

My parents and close circle of friends' parents came to America with nothing.

-we went to low ranked schools but still did okay
-we are productive members of society
-we all own 700k-1mil homes and new cars
-some of us have stocks, some have investment homes.
-we max retirement accounts
-we save for our kids college
-we help out our parents financially. We bought them a home and new cars and this is common in our culture.
-we never complain about real estate prices or anything in general about this country.

USA is the only country in the world where this would be possible. All this complaining about real estate prices baffles me. If we can do it then anyone can! USA is truly the land of opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is some kind of alternate universe from the real world. Median household income at age 75 is less than $40k. Median household net worth including home equity at age 75 is less than $250k. The biggest growth industry in the country is trailer parks in the south and southwest for aging Boomers who can’t afford anything else. Toss an expensive chronic health problem into the mix and it quickly gets pretty dire.

My mother was wealthy. A decade of dementia and she died penniless a few weeks shy of 91. A couple with $250k net worth and $40k in income at age 75 are going to be in dire straits if something expensive happens. We’re out of Medicaid nursing home beds so it isn’t even possible to warehouse all of them in nursing homes.
Exactly, a very sad situation our country is in when it comes to aging population and healthcare. One area European countries do a lot better job than us, even if it is considered socialized healthcare....no one goes quite as broke as Americans do on healthcare in Europe.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:19 AM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default er

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

-we help out our parents financially. We bought them a home and new cars and this is common in our culture.
-we never complain about real estate prices or anything in general about this country.

USA is the only country in the world where this would be possible. All this complaining about real estate prices baffles me. If we can do it then anyone can! USA is truly the land of opportunity.
Ok that's you. My parents were born and raised in Boston, I've also been here my whole life and I complain about real estate prices here. Sounds like you think you're better because you don't complain.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:22 AM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Exactly, a very sad situation our country is in when it comes to aging population and healthcare. One area European countries do a lot better job than us, even if it is considered socialized healthcare....no one goes quite as broke as Americans do on healthcare in Europe.
What do you suggest America does? Give more money to our aging population? People want to live longer and are living longer but sounds like so few have money to live on. With the way real estate keeps going up I can't imagine what it will be like when we are elderly. But apparently so many people seem to have millions in their 401 by the time their 35...so who cares about those that don't. That seems to be the attitude of many. at the same time you can't always look for others to pay your bills.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

Why don't you shed some light for us as to the salary that allows you to do all this? I'm sure there are more folks out there who are not able to do all these things based on their salaries. For some reason, a lot of folks here on CD are out of touch with reality and don't realize that not everyone in MA makes $200K+ per year or is a dual income household.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:26 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
That's because there's no price transparency or rationalization of care.

Trump actually took a big step towards transparency by making hospitals publish their rates, except it was impossible for me to parse the data sets that a hospital group like MGB published.

We also need death panels.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
What do you suggest America does? Give more money to our aging population? People want to live longer and are living longer but sounds like so few have money to live on. With the way real estate keeps going up I can't imagine what it will be like when we are elderly. But apparently so many people seem to have millions in their 401 by the time their 35...so who cares about those that don't. That seems to be the attitude of many. at the same time you can't always look for others to pay your bills.
That's the quagmire this country is in though. Maybe we need to take a lesson from European countries and totally revamp our healthcare system?!

Old 06-20-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
No, it's the opposite...the old folks will just have to die.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
That's because there's no price transparency or rationalization of care.

Trump actually took a big step towards transparency by making hospitals publish their rates, except it was impossible for me to parse the data sets that a hospital group like MGB published.

We also need death panels.
What's a death panel?

Old 06-20-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
What's a death panel?
From another blog:

"A death panel is simply a group of dispassionate professionals who look at various tests and treatments in various medical scenarios and decide whether they should be allowed or not."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts