Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 03:08 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone knock someone else for not using a realtor ? What do you care ? It's like knocking someone for not using a wedding planner. If they did it themselves and were happy with the end result who cares ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 03:14 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why would anyone knock someone else for not using a realtor ? What do you care ? It's like knocking someone for not using a wedding planner. If they did it themselves and were happy with the end result who cares ?
I know....it's crazy. If I wasn't WFH or maybe had a multimillion dollar home, I'd probably use a realtor. I do WFH and these weren't multimillion dollar homes I was selling. I was willing and able to do it myself and I successfully did so (multiple times). Not sure why some seem so upset by that. They can do it too if they want. Just follow the steps that myself and others have outlined to get the most traction out of it.

1. Make sure your house is well maintained, clean and staged well
2. Get some decent photos
3. Have a good real estate attorney on standby
4. Get listed in the MLS by paying the $400-500 entry only listing fee
5. Be prepared to field calls/do showings when it's convenient for buyers/agents, don't get emotional and put on your business hat, treat it like a business transaction

Old 07-12-2023, 03:15 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:

Nobody is knocking anybody, just saying that many people who FSBO these days don't know what they are getting themselves into and would probably be better off in the end if they had just listed through an agent. But newenglandgal seems to have a grip on this, so I'm not going to second guess her.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:22 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Not sure why some seem so upset by that.
I won't speak for anyone else but I'm certainly not upset. I just think you're likely leaving money on the table. Again, a realtor will bring you more buyers...and that equals a better chance of an unexpected bidding war.

Not sure why msRB is being all dramatic.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM

I mean I'd rather keep the money than have some of it go to a realtor. I think people mostly use them because they are afraid not to....but if you can make it work without one good on you.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I won't speak for anyone else but I'm certainly not upset. I just think you're likely leaving money on the table. Again, a realtor will bring you more buyers...and that equals a better chance of an unexpected bidding war.

Not sure why msRB is being all dramatic.
If I'm paying a small fee to get my listing in the MLS (the same listing service any local realtor will also be using) how is it going to get me more buyers if I use a realtor?

Old 07-12-2023, 03:24 PM

Lol I'm not being dramatic but it seems like people are definitely in favor of agents and don't understand why someone wouldn't use one. There are many different situations

Old 07-12-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I mean I'd rather keep the money than have some of it go to a realtor. I think people mostly use them because they are afraid not to....but if you can make it work without one good on you.
But that assumes you can get the same price on your own. And I'm not at all convinced that that's an accurate assumption.

Quote:
If I'm paying a small fee to get my listing in the MLS (the same listing service any local realtor will also be using) how is it going to get me more buyers if I use a realtor?
Because realtors have clients lined up. Those clients may not see your listing. And even if they do see it, it's possible they would prefer to deal with a realtor they know and trust as opposed to some random person.

Personally, if I'm spending crazy money to buy a house, I'd be far more comfortable dealing with a realtor from a well known company than a private individual. I mean, what if something goes wrong? You can simply contact the well known company. Good luck trying to track down the private individual who was trying to save a few bucks by doing it on their own.

If you're happy with how you do things, that's great...but I don't see how you can legitimately say that you can get just as many potential buyers on your own.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
But that assumes you can get the same price on your own. And I'm not at all convinced that that's an accurate assumption.

Because realtors have clients lined up. Those clients may not see your listing. And even if they do see it, it's possible they would prefer to deal with a realtor they know and trust as opposed to some random person.

Personally, if I'm spending crazy money to buy a house, I'd be far more comfortable dealing with a realtor from a well known company than a private individual. I mean, what if something goes wrong? You can simply contact the well known company. Good luck trying to track down the private individual who was trying to save a few bucks by doing it on their own.

If you're happy with how you do things, that's great...but I don't see how you can legitimately say that you can get just as many potential buyers on your own.
No offense, but I don't think you understand how it works and what it means to be in the MLS. If your listing is in the MLS it gets pushed out to the Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc. sites which is where the majority of buyers are looking. These buyers are free to connect with their own buyer agent and go thru them to make an offer on my property vs dealing w/me directly. I pay 2% to their agent (if they're using one and are buying my home).

Old 07-12-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
No offense, but I don't think you understand how it works and what it means to be in the MLS. If your listing is in the MLS it gets pushed out to the Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc. sites which is where the majority of buyers are looking. These buyers are free to connect with their own buyer agent and go thru them to make an offer on my property vs dealing w/me directly. I pay 2% to their agent (if they're using one and are buying my home).
I do understand how it works. You're failing to recognize that the end result of your insistence on handling things in an unconventional way is absolutely going to be less potential buyers (for various reasons). And less potential buyers typically means a lower price, That's reality.

Buyers agent or not, I'd walk away fast if I encountered someone operating the way you do. The first thing that would enter my mind is...what other corners is this person cutting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts