Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 07:38 PM

9,876 posts, read 7,204,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
But here is another question: are they necessarily better than non-top students from top school systems?
Getting in a good college is just the beginning of one's adult life, but education in childhood can have a long lasting impact. Being habitually hardworking, learning from peers, handling stress and competition..., are all crucial to success.

Particularly, if one wants to build a career in the STEM field, the math and science education before college is very important.
They most likely are. Those kids all take the same accredited and audited AP courses so the outcome is measurable and can be compared. The difference is that the college recruiters know which districts are disadvantaged so will take those kids over similar kids from top districts.

As I've noted, the top 10-20 kids in a high achieving school district are interchangeable in the college matrix. They can only accept only so many kids with this:

5.0 GPA
first violin/cello/oboe in the school symphony
member of the track team
member of the robotics/debate/chess/math club
Eagle Scout/Gold Award Recipient
speaks conversational Mandarin.

They'd rather have a top 10-20 second tier school kid with:

4.5 GPA
self taught guitar player who teaches other kids to play
member of an athletic team that has cuts
works a part time job
was in scouts but didn't earn the ultimate awards but got something out of it
speaks conversational Italian because they wanted to learn what their grandparents spoke.

Colleges want kids with good stories who can help create a diverse class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 07:54 PM

845 posts, read 552,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Colleges want kids with good stories who can help create a diverse class.
Maybe they can be good leaders and influencers in the future, but we still need to import zillions of engineers without good stories but tough training and hard work, who then gentrify towns like Burlington and Billerica.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:50 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Off topic from college admissions by town...

I just got my property tax bill. The mill rate went down to $8.78 per thousand. The fire district tax is another $0.39. My year-over-year property tax bill went down a bit even thought the assessment went up some. Proposition 2 1/2 is a wonderful thing. I presume the oceanfront and gated summer community property had big increases.
My mil rate went down 3.5% but assessment went up 10%.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:15 AM

15,790 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Off topic from college admissions by town...

I just got my property tax bill. The mill rate went down to $8.78 per thousand. The fire district tax is another $0.39. My year-over-year property tax bill went down a bit even thought the assessment went up some. Proposition 2 1/2 is a wonderful thing. I presume the oceanfront and gated summer community property had big increases.

my mill rate went up 6%. Assessment up but i don't have a percentage.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:33 AM

9,876 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Mine in Burlington:

Valuation up 9.3%
Rate down 5.5%
Taxes up 3.3%.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:35 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
my mill rate went up 6%. Assessment up but i don't have a percentage.
How can the mill rate go up 6% with Proposition 2 1/2? Was there an override vote?

My house is assessed at about 70% of market value. My effective mill rate is around $6.90. Vermont requires 100% assessments and has a stiff state school property tax. My mill rate was around $21 and I was due for a huge tax hike. I sold before the bill showed up. As a retiree, Proposition 2 1/2 is a wonderful thing. I know I’ll never get taxes out of my house. We also structured things where Social Security will be a big chunk of our income. It projects to ~ $90k that is exempt from state tax.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:22 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Maybe they can be good leaders and influencers in the future, but we still need to import zillions of engineers without good stories but tough training and hard work, who then gentrify towns like Burlington and Billerica.
This is due in no small part to the problem that most of the US colleges (and probably closer to a "nearly all" level, including some of the almighty Ivy Leaguers) do not adequately prepare students for careers in engineering. I've conducted countless interviews to fill engineering positions, and more often than not we end up importing one of those zillions of engineers without good stories after being frustrated with the poor performances of the US-based applicants.

I suspect the problem extends back into primary education and perhaps even beyond education's boundaries as the American applicants usually can stumble through technical and theoretical problems as that's what they were taught, but are severely lacking in the soft skills that are critical to succeeding.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:24 AM

16,326 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I'm staring to think there should be a MA real estate forum.

Old 01-06-2023, 11:28 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I suspect the problem extends back into primary education and perhaps even beyond education's boundaries as the American applicants usually can stumble through technical and theoretical problems as that's what they were taught, but are severely lacking in the soft skills that are critical to succeeding.
Interesting that this is the case in engineering. I totally agree with needing soft skills to succeed but in my world in finance, it's the American (well, often white) applicants that have the stronger soft skills and the international applicants that are lacking in it.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:51 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Interesting that this is the case in engineering. I totally agree with needing soft skills to succeed but in my world in finance, it's the American (well, often white) applicants that have the stronger soft skills and the international applicants that are lacking in it.
It is surprising, but it happens. The number of American (and yes, often white) applicants who struggle with critical thinking, problem solving, and the general "what do you do when you don't know the answer to a problem?" type of scenario who struggle to find their way. It's not to say we don't also see it with international applicants, but they're usually more comfortable thinking their way out of an unfamiliar situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts