Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Waltham is a very desirable community for many because it's close to everything, still feels urban, and is cheaper than Newton.

If I had over $1 mill to drop, it definitely wouldn't be on a house with no garage but that location would be great for someone who works in one of the tech companies on 128 and wasn't looking for yard upkeep. Lots of people are willing to pay more for a super short commute, and some subset of those people insist on new construction.

The price likely reflects the builder's costs more than the demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 11:12 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Finally an affordable housing development that makes sense. One that utilizes a property that would have likely become a dilapidated eyesore of a commercial building is being converted to a mix of affordable housing and commercial spaces. Much better than destroying more woods and vegetation to put up another ugly building somewhere it doesn't belong. https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2...velopment.html

Old 01-04-2023, 10:22 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Finally an affordable housing development that makes sense. One that utilizes a property that would have likely become a dilapidated eyesore of a commercial building is being converted to a mix of affordable housing and commercial spaces. Much better than destroying more woods and vegetation to put up another ugly building somewhere it doesn't belong. https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2...velopment.html
This article says there's a state housing crisis. Crisis is a strong word. When I visit Los Angeles, Seattle or Portland OR I see homeless tent cities everywhere. That's what I think of when I hear the word crisis. I don't see too many of those in MA.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:27 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Waltham is a very desirable community for many because it's close to everything, still feels urban, and is cheaper than Newton.

If I had over $1 mill to drop, it definitely wouldn't be on a house with no garage but that location would be great for someone who works in one of the tech companies on 128 and wasn't looking for yard upkeep. Lots of people are willing to pay more for a super short commute, and some subset of those people insist on new construction.

The price likely reflects the builder's costs more than the demand.
Last time I looked at school rankings, Waltham was very low on the list. I was surprised because it's so expensive there. Then I saw an article that 4 Waltham High grads were accepted to Harvard. I guess school rankings don't mean much?

Old 01-04-2023, 10:58 PM

849 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Last time I looked at school rankings, Waltham was very low on the list. I was surprised because it's so expensive there. Then I saw an article that 4 Waltham High grads were accepted to Harvard. I guess school rankings don't mean much?
What they are going to study also matters. Some programs like to admit unique students, not necessarily “good” students in terms of test scores or awards.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
As I've said before, high achieving kids at second tier school systems are attractive to the top universities. They show that they are able to achieve even in more difficult circumstances. The high achievers at the top school systems aren't very distinct from each other and colleges know that.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:46 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
It's likely advantageous to be a smart student in a lower performing (but not horrible and underresourced) school district for college admissions. Everyone (exaggeration) in Lexington, Newton and Brookline are aiming for Harvard, MIT, BU, Northeastern, etc. There's less competition at a school like Waltham High for a student who is motivated and has involved parents.

It's not a horrible school and has honors and AP classes, but has a very different demographic and socioeconomic reality to the "best" districts in Massachusetts. In Lexington, almost all of the parents are college educated. You're just not going to see the same results in schools where a high percentage of students would be first generation college students should they choose to go. Both Bentley and Brandeis offer full scholarships to a handful of students each year, not to mention additional students who attend. Both schools have partnerships with Waltham schools to bring additional educational and research opportunities that most people wouldn't get (without a lot of legwork) in other districts.

Schools are also a lagging indicator. Many successful young professionals chose places like Waltham and Maynard in recent years because they were more affordable but provided reasonable commutes to areas with concentrated jobs. With Waltham in particular, there's no real reverse commute!

Waltham has not been a low income community for a long time. As I look to move closer to work for a year or two, Waltham is on my list and I was shocked to see that most 2 bedrooms or 1 bed+den/office are starting at close to $2700-3000 a month. My 4 bed/1.5 bath townhouse with a yard and ample parking cost significantly less than that a decade ago!

Old 01-05-2023, 08:08 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
A school with a high ranking is not going to get someone's kid into Harvard. The same could be said for private schools. Sending a kid to Milton Academy is not an automatic in for an ivy league school. To get into one of those schools you have to be in the top 5 of the class and typically have a specialty in something.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:10 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Four Waltham High grads from the same year got accepted? Link to the article?

Old 01-05-2023, 10:12 AM

849 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As I've said before, high achieving kids at second tier school systems are attractive to the top universities. They show that they are able to achieve even in more difficult circumstances. The high achievers at the top school systems aren't very distinct from each other and colleges know that.
But here is another question: are they necessarily better than non-top students from top school systems?
Getting in a good college is just the beginning of one's adult life, but education in childhood can have a long lasting impact. Being habitually hardworking, learning from peers, handling stress and competition..., are all crucial to success.

Particularly, if one wants to build a career in the STEM field, the math and science education before college is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts