Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 11:06 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,799,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Homeless or not, most people know how to get out of the way of an oncoming train. Unless they are mentally ill or on drugs it's hard to understand how this could accidentally happen to any adult....unless it was on purpose
If it was an express train, it might be going 50ish. If you are not really paying attention while walking on the tracks, you might not see the train in time. Train can't really weave or stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 01:36 PM

12,965 posts, read 22,144,469 times
Quote:
Homeless or not, most people know how to get out of the way of an oncoming train. Unless they are mentally ill or on drugs it's hard to understand how this could accidentally happen to any adult....unless it was on purpose
Without seeing data, I'd wager that most train strikes in areas like this are either intentional or involving someone under the influence of something. But accidents do happen. The reports here indicate that the guy was actively trying to get her off the tracks when the train struck. It could be she was suicidal (though it would be brutal to put your partner through that). It could be she was on drugs and passed out on the tracks. But it could also be that she had a medical episode in an extremely unfortunate spot. It could be that she was recreationally riding her bike on one of the nearby paths, tried to cross the tracks, and got injured somehow. We probably won't know. No matter what, there's really no good reason to be on railroad tracks. Especially active commuter rail tracks.

On a related note, has anyone ever watched the Amtrak Acela or the Northeast Regional go through Mansfield Station? They pass by at 125-150mph. It's actually wild to experience, and it's crazy that it's legal for that to happen without any sort of barrier (there is a digital display and audible alert announcing the train is approaching). If someone were to step in front of one of those trains, it would be instantaneous demise.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:32 PM

10,066 posts, read 15,738,348 times
I've seen the Acela train through Mansfield and also Attleboro center. It is very fast.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:37 PM

16,755 posts, read 8,475,688 times
I've seen it go through Hyde Park. It's scary...like grab your kids/dogs scary.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

10,066 posts, read 15,738,348 times
Some more information on the people killed. They were a couple and the woman got stuck on the tracks:

https://dailyvoice.com/massachusetts...from-track-da/

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

382 posts, read 153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
On a related note, has anyone ever watched the Amtrak Acela or the Northeast Regional go through Mansfield Station? They pass by at 125-150mph. It's actually wild to experience, and it's crazy that it's legal for that to happen without any sort of barrier (there is a digital display and audible alert announcing the train is approaching). If someone were to step in front of one of those trains, it would be instantaneous demise.
For sure, and this definitely has happened before. I remember the story linked below because it happened right as I had moved to the Boston area and knew someone that worked for the Transit Police at the time. The incident was EXTREMELY traumatic for those who witnessed it and those that responded (police, fire, etc). I also believe this has happened again more recently (2021 it seems).

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...29a82e522.html

Old Today, 01:32 PM

9,248 posts, read 6,399,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Some more information on the people killed. They were a couple and the woman got stuck on the tracks:

https://dailyvoice.com/massachusetts...from-track-da/
Honest question, how does a pedestrian get stuck on railroad tracks? I can visualize someone getting trapped in a subway tunnel with a train approaching but not on tracks that are out in the open in the suburbs.

Old Today, 01:56 PM

Maybe a shoe got stuck in the rails? I honestly don't know...strange, sad story

Old Today, 02:02 PM

9,248 posts, read 6,399,903 times
Quote:
Maybe a shoe got stuck in the rails? I honestly don't know...strange, sad story
I've been on abandoned railroad tracks in my youth a good number of times and I don't know how a shoe can get stuck in the rails. The rails are pretty fair apart compared to the size of a human foot.

Old Today, 02:12 PM

Maybe she wasn't really stuck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts