Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,571 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for reading my post and giving me any insight.

Currently living in Europe, lived in CA and more recently in CT, we are a family of five, with 2 seniors, one born in Boston, one European. Kids are elementary and middle school ages, the middle schooler is a genius. Looking for affordable 3-4 bedroom rental in a managed property. I am the mother, and we are planning on moving back in the forthcoming months. We do prefer a nice community area, with good schools and reasonably close good medical facilities. Do not care much for more of a rural area, would be glad to live in a more semi-urban environment. But ease of commuting to Metro Boston area, preferably by car, is important.

I am not even sure where to begin, as I know little about differences between the North Shore, the South Shore, and/or the Andover region (where the vicinity to the tax-free NH is enticing...). As the weekly supplier in the family, I certainly miss the convenience of retail shopping in CA.

Although we have relatives in Revere, I read not so many nice things about crime and lower quality public schools, so we would steer away from that. Newton and Natick are out of our projected budget.

Also, because of our rather short stay in the US (some 3 years only), our credit scores are not in the higher brackets, and I wonder how important these are still when trying to get in any such managed properties, or if one could simply short-circuit this issue by, say, paying in advance.

Thank you whole-heartedly in advance for any thoughts and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 23,006 times
Depends on what your budget is. I think it would be difficult to find a 4 br rental in an apartment complex. You could probably find a 4 br house rental. It would be easier to advise you if we knew what your budget was.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,571 times
Default Budget

A townhome would be nice, sure. Our ultimate budget would be in any case under $1900, and we would take a 3 bdr also. At this point in time, the lower the better. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 23,006 times
Have you searched on craigslist.com? Click Boston, click apts/housing, click all no fee or by owner if you do not want to pay a broker fee, click North Shore for north of Boston but close enough for a reasonable commute or Northwest/Merrimack for areas closer to NH, enter # of bedrooms and click search. I did find several in Andover/North Andover. Long drive into Boston though. For the North Shore try Danvers, Peabody, Wakefield or Reading. I am not familiar with the South Shore.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 19,383 times
Some towns to check out: West Roxbury-lots of small families moving in, close to City; Dedham-dito, but stay on away from east Dedham; Needham/Newton-very nice communities, great schools but more expensive, Waltham-look carefully here, some neighborhoods can be rough others very nice, Watertown-same as Waltham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts