Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Self-absorbed has absolutely NOTHING to do with the weather. Not even a little bit. It has to do with the messed-up "expert" propaganda post-1960's in one hundred sectors of life and it is now EVERYWHERE, with very small and ultimately insignificant regional variations.

The essence, invariably, has been the worship of the self at the expense of awareness of, and consideration for, "the other".

It's still going strong and getting closer to complete normality with every decade.

America post 1960's is a completely different country compared to America prior to 1960's. I realize this when I talk to old Americans 70's and up. They strike me as a completely different species than their younger co-nationals.

Something HAD TO screw up this nation. Eventually.
I don't know what to say to this. I'm not anywhere near 70 and I don't think I lack "awareness of, and consideration for, 'the other'" at all. Certainly not because I don't engage in chit-chat with every stranger who crosses my path.

What about the self-centered seniors out in the great state of Arizona who are trying to incorporate their gated retirement communities into separate villages so they won't have to pay any taxes to support schools? So much for "a society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Self-absorbed has absolutely NOTHING to do with the weather. Not even a little bit. It has to do with the messed-up "expert" propaganda post-1960's in one hundred sectors of life and it is now EVERYWHERE, with very small and ultimately insignificant regional variations.

The essence, invariably, has been the worship of the self at the expense of awareness of, and consideration for, "the other".

It's still going strong and getting closer to complete normality with every decade.

America post 1960's is a completely different country compared to America prior to 1960's. I realize this when I talk to old Americans 70's and up. They strike me as a completely different species than their younger co-nationals.

Something HAD TO screw up this nation. Eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I don't know what to say to this. I'm not anywhere near 70 and I don't think I lack "awareness of, and consideration for, 'the other'" at all. Certainly not because I don't engage in chit-chat with every stranger who crosses my path.

What about the self-centered seniors out in the great state of Arizona who are trying to incorporate their gated retirement communities into separate villages so they won't have to pay any taxes to support schools? So much for "a society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

I totally agree with you, holden. I don't know if it's because of fixed income or what but I've met plenty of more "senior than me" seniors who don't care one iota about anyone but theirselves.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
^^^^^^^^ Could not agree more. My husband had an old crotchety aunt who declared one day that she was old and could be as meant as she wanted.

Not all of them are crotchety and mean but there are a majority. With age became a lack of manners also.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Oh, Lord! I hope I don't become like that! I would hope I stay the same. Maybe they get crotchety because they are mad they got old? IDK but I certainly hope I adjust well to it. That's just life! I'd rather be old than dead!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I was born, raised and lived in Mass for 34 years. I lived in Florida for 10. Incredibly rude folks, especially in swFlorida. Old, mean, self-centered and usually from the Midwest. No thank you.

Nice over 70? I find it to be the opposite. This last group of oldsters are the last that had life fairly easy. They got a job in their 20s. It was usually with some union. As long as they showed up every day, they didn't have to be reasonably intelligent or even nice.

They bought homes for $15,000 in their younger years and sold them for $300,000 and retired to Florida.

Now, they think everyone owes them something. They also think anyone younger is a nitwit because we didn't lead such charmed lives. And they talk about how smart they are to anyone that can't escape.

Generally speaking, mind you.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Wow! What ageist posts! I don't consider myself old, I'm under 60, but I sure know a lot of loving elderly people who spend hours each week volunteering to help the sick and the needy. The rudeness I see every day, in MA and everywhere, is from the younger people who are abrupt in their speech because they think they know all the answers, they drive way over the speed limit, weaving in and out, always late for where they are going, and they're too quick to lean on the horn. As I posted earlier in this thread, MA is a state full of unhappy, downtrodden people, young and old, who like to whine about their lot in life. If you want to see 'Mean & Rude' then sit back and read some of these jealous posts complaining about older people's gains and pensions and you'll see what I mean!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Wow! What ageist posts! I don't consider myself old, I'm under 60, but I sure know a lot of loving elderly people who spend hours each week volunteering to help the sick and the needy. The rudeness I see every day, in MA and everywhere, is from the younger people who are abrupt in their speech because they think they know all the answers, they drive way over the speed limit, weaving in and out, always late for where they are going, and they're too quick to lean on the horn. As I posted earlier in this thread, MA is a state full of unhappy, downtrodden people, young and old, who like to whine about their lot in life. If you want to see 'Mean & Rude' then sit back and read some of these jealous posts complaining about older people's gains and pensions and you'll see what I mean!

Just this past Friday I went back to work after working 9 hours, to help out because there was no one scheduled to work!!! I've done it before for this one particular manager because she treats me like a human being, not like an expendable POS that the other managers do with the crew.

The overnight manager finally came in and started working and he and this other manager were talking and she said something about me and as he passed me, I hear something about "grandma" in a sneering tone of voice and then "I hate OLD people". I turned to him and in front of all the customers I said "that's lawsuit talk there, kid". He's already been transfered to our store because of his attitude and mouth and apparently he hasn't learned any lesson. Like he told the other manager I was there to help, "tami brought out the big guns." He's a 19 yr old KID who drives a Jaguar and works for MickeyD's??? I think snooty, spoiled rich kid needs an attitude adjustment.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Back in Mass again and STILL waiting for all the rude people (SPECIALLY the OLD ones ) to materialize......

Is this an "in joke" like hunting for the Yeti?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
huh I thought we were all nice here compared to NY, PA, NJ, CT, RI, ME. I think if you are nice people are nice back.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
I've had a couple of rude experiences in MA this year since I've returned...

I was in Home Depot with my sister in law. There was only one register open in the lawn and garden area. She couldn't check out at the one open lane because her daughter was the cashier. They have a policy that says she can't check out her family, I guess. So SIL is swinging her cart around about to head back to the main area of the store when a woman pokes her head out of the booth and says she can check her out. Lo and behold some woman behind us in the other line is mouthing off saying something about they'd been standing in line and who were we to cut in front of them and blah blah blah. I tried to explain, but she was going off and staying how we must think of no one else but ourselves and dang. Later my neice told me the woman going off on us actually worked at Home Depot (she was off the clock at the time tho). I was calmly trying to explain we were going back in the store when the cashier popped out and said she could check us out. It's not like CVS where people tend to stand in one line and check out as one cashier finishes. It's Home Depot and there are distinct lines and check outs. Maybe SIL was wrong to not say what about these other people who've been waiting in line, but she has a hard time walking and was grateful to not have to walk back into the store.

The next incident was at Target. Some woman in a giant SUV/VAN thing was trying to pull in beside of me. I couldn't go anywhere because she was pulling into the space. Well she took forever backing up/pulling in and manuvering her giant vehicle into the space & she finally decides to back into a space behind me. So I had been waiting & waiting a while to pull out & leave. Some lady is yelling at me because I pulled out a tiny bit and she was walking . She wasn't behind my van. I stopped because I had seen her coming. She was talking all kinds of **** like I was going to run her over.

But what about all the *******s who cut around you while you're trying to back out of a parking space? They act like the parking lot is the Indy 500. Ugh... And all the people who are making left turns that don't yield to oncoming traffic but gun it to get through the light before traffic...

I dunno, but it's a totally different world up here in the North than I am used to. Not saying everyone here is rude, but never experienced this anywhere else.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts