Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 22,797 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm currently living in Ohio and moving to Massachusetts to attend Northeastern University for grad school. I am a gun owner and have guns ie shotguns, assault rifles, and hand guns I know Boston has a ban of those items. I am wondering which cities or towns outside of Boston have rail access to where i can easily get to Northeastern and still keep my guns. Also since I have my concealed carry in Ohio I am wondering if it is transferable to Massachusetts. Also I am a member of the United States Army (second lieutenant) so I am wondering which cities are military friendly outside of boston and if I have to reapply for a concealed carry in Massachusetts. Ohio has regulations where I just go in show them my military id and go through a interview and a few days later i receive my concealed carry license so I'm wondering if the same goes for Massachusetts. So any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Not my thing, but whatever floats your boat...

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I believe in Mass. gun permits are at the discretion of the town police chief where you live. Towns' practices vary very widely. Here is a thread about the topic, and a link to a site about Mass. gun laws.

Gun Laws -Attleboro, N. Attleboro, Mansfield, Plainville

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Northeastern is not far from Back Bay station on the commuter rail. There are a few lines that go into Back Bay, mostly heading south of Boston. You're more likely to find what you're looking for farther from Boston. No idea if there's different treatment for military personnel, but Mass. law favors military in other ways (such as this silly one-the law does not accept an out-of-state driver's license to buy a drink, but military ID is OK).

MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goarmy8551 View Post
Hi I'm currently living in Ohio and moving to Massachusetts to attend Northeastern University for grad school. I am a gun owner and have guns ie shotguns, assault rifles, and hand guns I know Boston has a ban of those items. I am wondering which cities or towns outside of Boston have rail access to where i can easily get to Northeastern and still keep my guns. Also since I have my concealed carry in Ohio I am wondering if it is transferable to Massachusetts. Also I am a member of the United States Army (second lieutenant) so I am wondering which cities are military friendly outside of boston and if I have to reapply for a concealed carry in Massachusetts. Ohio has regulations where I just go in show them my military id and go through a interview and a few days later i receive my concealed carry license so I'm wondering if the same goes for Massachusetts. So any help would be appreciated.

You're sure moving to one of the LEAST gun friendly states. We have way to many restrictions here on what we can own but I'm not sure about what an out of state permit requires you to do. First off you cannot transfer you're LTC you'll have to apply for an out of state permit. Every city/town is different as to whether you'll even get one,all depends on the police chief,some are more gun friendly. Here's a few links that might help you out. The last one is a local shooters message board which you can do a search for a lot of your questions,click forums on the top left and there's a whole list of topics there including a "Gun Laws" section. Good luck and make sure you REALLY know and understand the laws here.I've read about some nasty horror stories about people just traveling through who've been pulled over and put through the ringer for no reason!

Handgunlaw.us

M.G.L - Chapter 140, Section 131

Northeastshooters.com - Northeastshooters.com News

Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
GoArmy, first let me send my usual message to members of the armed forces who post here, no less sincere for my having repeated this a number of times on the forum: Thank you for your service!

Gun laws here are not like they are in most states. In MA, a law-abiding adult is pretty much guaranteed only the right to own a gun and keep it in his house. Even simply owning a gun requires a permit, and whether you can get a permit for anyting else varies from town to town, at the discretion of each town's police chief.

It looks as if the link Holden posted, "Guide to gun rights . . . ," gives a town-by-town rundown of the usual practices. The "ALP" permit the website refers to stands for "All lawful purposes," and is basically the permit that would allow one to carry concealed. I've heard something about the names of the permits having changed recently, but the basic idea still is that the towns in green on that website are the ones the website's research shows generally will issue concealed carry permits by whatever name that type of permit is currently called.

Because the sentiments in a given town could change, I would also suggest double-checking on the latest word about any particular town at the Northeastern Shooters website Gixxer1K posted. I don't have personal experience with that website, but I've seen that link on the MA forum before, and seen it recommended as a good source for the latest info on various towns' practices about issuing gun permits.

Last edited by ogre; 05-28-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
If you don't mind a longer commute, try living just over the border in New Hampshire. Nashua, Salem, or some of the other border cities just north of Mass. You'd be able to keep your guns and probably have an easier time getting a concealed carry permit. Aside from that, there really isn't any anit-military towns I can think of outside of Boston. You may encounter an occasional nut from time to time who isn't too happy to see someone in uniform, but they do not represent the majority, especially within the Boston city limits.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Aside from that, there really isn't any anit-military towns I can think of outside of Boston. You may encounter an occasional nut from time to time who isn't too happy to see someone in uniform, but they do not represent the majority, especially within the Boston city limits.
I don't know if you were responding to what I wrote, but I wasn't suggesting there were any anti-military towns. I was wondering the opposite: if there are any specifically pro-military towns, in the sense that a member of the military would have a lesser burden to get a permit than a civilian.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 22,797 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions I really appreciate them all

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I don't know if you were responding to what I wrote, but I wasn't suggesting there were any anti-military towns. I was wondering the opposite: if there are any specifically pro-military towns, in the sense that a member of the military would have a lesser burden to get a permit than a civilian.
I believe it was East Bridgewater that I read about a couple of years ago, something about a support the troops group in the local community. Not sure about other towns that would stand out for being more pro-military than average.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM

232 posts, read 542,405 times
Considering your situation, you may want to check at northeastshooters or the MA-based Gun Owners Action League (Gun Owners' Action League - GOAL.org - "Protecting Your Freedom Begins Here") with regards to working with an attorney to file your paperwork. Also...if you join a range here, chances are you will be asked to join GOAL...just as a heads-up. The attorneys can also advise you as to which towns may be your safest bet and which guns you will need to sell or store before moving to MA -- there are many models that are not permitted in MA, nor are their parts (mags, etc) even with a proper license.

Firearms permits have less to do with police chiefs being pro or anti military....it has more to do with the chief's flavor of politics and how the politics relate to crime in their city.

Some suggestions for specific towns...closest to Boston, your better bets will be Malden and Revere. Both are are on the subway, the orange and blue lines, respectively. Watertown and Milton are likely an option if you drive to don't mind the bus or driving to the train. Moving further out to the suburbs, Winchester and Woburn.

You have to have a license to carry in order to have a firearm in your home or to buy ammo. In order to carry, you will need a LTC Class A with an endorsement for "All Lawful Purposes" or "Personal Protection". If approved, you will be issued a separate license...the permission isn't coded on to your driver's license the way it is in other states.

Even though the license does not explicitly say CCW, should you be issued a proper license, it is a bad idea to carry openly, or sloppily (no prints!!), in MA.

Good luck, and thanks for your service! I hope the transition goes as smoothly as it can.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:55 PM

42 posts, read 108,875 times
Ditto on GOAL, I won't pile on about the mistake of coming to MA.

I won't list everything either. You can bring in from OH, you have to get at least an FID within a few months to keep them. That is only for long guns. An LTC is Class A or B, do not go for B - you cannot carry, just own. Class A is CCW. Forget open carry.

Each town varies widely. Is a state license, but by police chief and it is vastly different. MA recognizes no other states. There is an out of state license from the state police, not handed out easy. Cannot buy ammo without a license either.

Also go to Northeast shooters forum, I will not give the link. Look up green towns. Is an update of what towns will be difficult to get an LTC.

Pick where you live by the rationale of the town, not by where you live or you will regret it. Pick the town favorable to CCW. Getting denied shows up in the records. Put down reason as "All lawful Purposes", do not go after letting them impose any restrictions. There are still many good towns. If you want CCW, plan it right since you do not know MA towns.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts