Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:27 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,390,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Maybe you live in another world, but a confrontation is not pointless when someone pulls a weapon on you and threatens to use it. When that happens, the situation is very real. Put it this way, I would rather be armed in that situation than not be. I would rather be armed and talk my way out of that situation first than not be. If I can talk my way out of it, great, but if not, I know I am fully capable of protecting myself and my family. Someone with a broken bottle gives me options depending on how close they are to me. Time and distance is your friend. If you can put distance between your adversary, that gives you time. Someone threatens me with a gun, that's another situation. There will be no warning.

Of course, because I disagree with you I must be a lunatic. Thanks for the insult, but insulting someone to win the argument is the last refuge of an idiot. So how exactly is supporting law abiding citizens to arm themselves psychotic? I already told you I'm currently a police officer. I have been a cop for 18 years. I'm only confrontational when I need to be, when my life depends on it.

Btw, are you a psychologist?
Nope. Retired military, multi-tour combat vet. And I know attitude when I see it / read it. Good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,319,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nope. Retired military, multi-tour combat vet. And I know attitude when I see it / read it. Good night.
My attitude is just fine, we just happen to disagree. I say law abiding citizens have the Constitutional God given right to bare arms to defend themselves and you say otherwise. You may not like that attitude and that is fine, just as I believe you are naive to human nature and evil.

Thank you for your service and good night to you as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Quote:
My wife and I plan on moving to Hawaii and I will be a retired police officer. Thank you George W Bush for HR 218. No state can deny me carrying a gun. It's better to be prepared for a low probability high risk situation than not. That is the point for law abiding citizens to be armed. You have the Constitutional right to defend yourself against a 300lb fat ass with a broken bottle.
No offense intended, but I doubt if Hawaii is a good fit for you.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
No offense intended, but I doubt if Hawaii is a good fit for you.

Nah, I'll fit in just fine. Amazing nature and beauty, best weather on the planet, enough amenities that I like, laid back (that's a big one), many different cultures, love the food, and so on. So I'm not sure where you are coming from unless you have some other insight and actually know me?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Vast majority of people who 'move' here stay less than two years. They all pretty much start with the same premise as you, 'I'll fit in just fine', and, they find out, for any one of a multitude of reasons, that Hawaii isn't quite what they expected. Perception vs reality, postcard vs being there, website discussions vs the real thing. Regardless, best of luck, but I'd leave the gun at home, in a safe place.

Okolemaluna

Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
I say law abiding citizens have the Constitutional God given right to bare arms to defend themselves and you say otherwise.
I'm not sure where it says that - unless of course you are in a well regulated militia.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm not sure where it says that - unless of course you are in a well regulated militia.

I know that is how you want to interpret the 2nd Amendment, that is how you wish it to be, but that is not true and history says otherwise. Most recently, you should look up Heller vs. D.C. You don't need to join the local militia to possess and own a firearm.

Who does the Bill of Rights apply to? All rights described in the “Bill of Rights” apply specifically and solely to the People, not to the government or any component of it in case you make an argument that the National Gaurd is the militia. The militia is made up of private civilians, not soldiers tied to the federal government. Being that the Bill of Rights apply specifically to the People, your argument fails that the Second Amendment applies only for the militia to bear firearms. Just curious, by your logic, the militia should be allowed to possess military grade weapons, right?

You should research our Founders outlook on the Right to Bear Arms of the citizenry.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 10-18-2017 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -Thomas Jefferson
In your case, you might want to look into HRS 134-9, I believe it supersedes any federally mandated laws re. carrying concealed weapons.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
In your case, you might want to look into HRS 134-9, I believe it supersedes any federally mandated laws re. carrying concealed weapons.

State laws do not supersede federal laws and no law supersedes the Constitution. Hawaii will say their gun laws supersede HR 218, but it doesn't.

In my case as an active LEO, I can vacation in Hawaii and carry and conceal if I choose to under HR-218. Hawaii law does not object to this, but I would have three days to register my weapon while on vacation to the police chief. I would have to go through an hour to three hour process to get a temporary Hawaii permit. Many LEO's who vacation in Hawaii who bring their firearm don't even bother going through the process. No reasonable police officer in Hawaii would give a fellow LEO a hard time if they were to question them in regards to having a carry conceal firearm. Now when I retire, I will still be protected under HR-218, but will have to acquire a state permit along with my HR-218 permit depending on state. Obviously I would honor their gun laws in that regard to prevent any long term issues. Hawaii will eventually have to issue me their state permit as long as I fall within all the federal guidelines like retiring in good standing for example. I would also have to fall within Hawaii's guidelines like magazine capacity, intoxication while carrying, and so on. I also think I would have to go through a medical review. Hawaii will without a doubt make it a pain in the ass to get my state gun carry permit, but eventually it will be issued to me. Might take a couple years to finally acquire permit, but Hawaii will eventually have to issue it to me as long as I pass through all their guidelines, jump through their hoops, and then release my firearm back to me with a state permit.

What is funny is I rarely carry my firearm off duty. I know I should, but rarely do. Most times I leave my firearm in my locker at work or when I do bring it home I keep it secured.

Do you object to qualified retired police officers carrying a firearm?

Here is the guidelines for carrying a concealed firearm in the state of Hawaii by a "Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer."

https://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/files/2014...-QLEO-926C.pdf

By this guideline Hawaii does not ignore federal law in regards to retired law enforcement officers.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:

Do you object to qualified retired police officers carrying a firearm?
Yes!

And I object to regular police officers having so many guns - they only reason they need them is so many other people have guns.

You can only have an appreciation for how ridiculous the gun culture is here unless you've lived overseas. I've lived in Australia, Japan, and Germany for 1 year each for work. It is incredibly rare to hear about any gun related crimes in Japan (especially), Australia, and much of Continental Europe. The mafia which is very real in Japan won't even use guns.

There are only a couple of options on what is going on in the US. Too many guns. Or, people in the US are generally more crazy than the rest of those countries. Or, both. You pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui