Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM

806 posts, read 2,343,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. How long have you lived on Maui so far? Are you getting any symptoms of island fever?

I'm also planning on doing the one car + scooter. It sounds like that works out good for you - I'm glad to hear positive feedback on that... Also $80 for electricity for 700sqft isn't all that bad. Do you use A.C. much?

I have had Mainland fever for WAY too long....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobykai View Post
Seems like alot of us are planning to move there from the PacNW!

Did you ship your car or buy one there?

Other people from Seattle- What are you doing to prepare your dogs for the move?
Moved here from Bellingham, WA.

Shipped one car, sold the other. Matson out of Seattle was the shipper I used. VERY happy with that experience.

We moved 3 cats. Followed the rules on the quarantine website, had no issues at the airport. Flew Hawaiian...would not be surprised if that helped.

Note that having a pet and trying to find a place is frustrating. Few places on Oahu allow pets, so the market for places that do is tight...and they know it ($$). Even worse most of the one's that do allow pets are 70's buildings, dirty and run down. I'm not saying I wish we would have moved without our pets, but it does suck that the options are very limited when you do have them. Maui may be different.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 PM

77 posts, read 213,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Moved here from Bellingham, WA.

Shipped one car, sold the other. Matson out of Seattle was the shipper I used. VERY happy with that experience.
Hey, DThraco - We're getting ready to ship one of our vehicles in a couple of weeks and are trying to decide which one to ship through Matson and which one to let the military ship through VPC. We need our SUV there as soon after we arrive as possible as we'll be getting my step-daughter and will need the space for her (2 little ones in boosters and a Civic for the other vehicle) so I was wondering, how long did it take Matson to get your vehicle there? We've had people tell us that the military's transport company may get it there w/in a couple of weeks, but being military (pays them less), our vehicle may get stuck in the back of the un-load dock for a long time (weeks) while they unload the rest first. How long did Matson take to deliver? I guess my question is, in a very long way of asking it, how long did it take Matson to deliver your car? We're shipping out of Seattle. Thanks

Old 04-30-2011, 01:36 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,902 times
I dropped it off on the wednesday in Seattle before the boat left, Jan 26th. The last day to drop it off is thursday prior to departure. Boats leave every two weeks form the Seattle port.

It arrived on 8th, and I picked it up on the 10th. I must have messed up on my e-mail address because I found out it was already here when I called. I never got notification. Again, that was likely my mistake.

It took 13 days from the time I dropped it off till I had it. Overall my experience was very positive. The people were VERY friendly and I recieved excellent customer service.

BUT...if you can ship it on the military's dime, don't they pay for a rental car for you till yours arrives? I did rent a car till mine arrived.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 AM

14 posts, read 68,201 times
Sorry it took me so long to get back on here, I didn't think anyone would respond.

We've only been here 2 months but we aren't getting island fever yet. There is SO much to do here and we have done a lot so far...been to several beaches, snorkeled in various places, been on a few hikes and seen a few different cities. We haven't even hit the upcountry yet! I can honestly say I don't think we will get sick of living here.

I'm not sure about insurance yet because we haven't gotten our Hawaii tag...be prepared to get a "safety check" when you get your car here. Matson was really good with shipped our car. They gave us a estimate of when they thought our car would arrive (april 1st) but it got here a little early (march 27th). We dropped our car off at Matson on the 9th.

I hope this is all helpful. The jobs here are awesome! I just got an offer to apply as a restaurant manager in Wailea and I don't have experince but they just want good workers!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM

14 posts, read 68,201 times
oh yeah...big tip i wish we got...

Splurge a little when getting a scooter. We got the VERY common little Chinese scooter for $750 from our landlord...they sell them at Maui Moters...EVERYONE has them. We've already had a screw come out (easy to replace) and we have heard alot about how they don't last long. If I could go back, I would buy a little more expensive one...it's worth it! Also...DON"T ride in the bike lane!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Also...DON"T ride in the bike lane!!![/quote]

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!

uuuurrrrpppp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 PM

77 posts, read 213,205 times
Quote:
I dropped it off on the wednesday in Seattle before the boat left, Jan 26th. The last day to drop it off is thursday prior to departure. Boats leave every two weeks form the Seattle port.

It arrived on 8th, and I picked it up on the 10th. I must have messed up on my e-mail address because I found out it was already here when I called. I never got notification. Again, that was likely my mistake.

It took 13 days from the time I dropped it off till I had it. Overall my experience was very positive. The people were VERY friendly and I recieved excellent customer service.

BUT...if you can ship it on the military's dime, don't they pay for a rental car for you till yours arrives? I did rent a car till mine arrived.
Awesome, thank you They only pay to ship one vehicle and no...they don't authorize a rental, but we'll have to rent one regardless because we HAVE to start looking at homes the first week we're there. We have to look at 5 the first 10 days, then 10 every ten days after that but we get per-diem so we can pay for it out of that. Thanks for your feedback, it's so helpful.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

14 posts, read 55,663 times
Thanks so much for the encouraging info! I have been reading some of these posts about moving and a lot of people seem to be very discouraging. Your post was nice to see. We are hopefully looking to move in a year or 2 so I have lots of time to do research. I have looked on craigslist for rentals, where did you find your current home? I will also have a dog, which seems to be finding a rental a little harder. Also, you say the jobs here are awesome, why do others keep saying that there are no jobs? I also keep seeing that everyone says the pay is a lot less than everywhere else, but when I look on craigslist the pay is usually more than where I live (Colorado). Guess I'm a little confused on why others are so negative. Thanks again for all your info! More would be better!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,372 times
Quote:
Awesome update, thanks!

McFrostyJ - Car insurance in Honolulu is about 20% higher than it was in Bellingham, WA.
My car insurance is 25% less on the BI than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui