Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
We will ship our trucks there. Unless you want a different vehicle..

I wouldn't buy a "scooter" but a regular easy riding motorcycle. Scooters are dangerous! I am bringing enduros!! (on and off road mc's) Plenty of dirt roads in the hills and out to Hana!!!

WHAT do you mean by "prepare"?? You are familiar with the AQS-Hawaii
rules to avoid quarantine?????
My two dogs have been cleared on their blood tests, I got another dog and had to put him through the process, his blood sample was just sent! He should be cleared by end of August!!!
they don't do quarantines anymore for pets? really???

So, what you just have to get a blood test for your dog and then he won't have to go thru quarantine???
That's odd... used to be your dog had to stay in quarantine for almost a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
they don't do quarantines anymore for pets? really???

So, what you just have to get a blood test for your dog and then he won't have to go thru quarantine???
That's odd... used to be your dog had to stay in quarantine for almost a month.
The rules have changes.

You can come to Hawaii without doing anything and your anaimal will have to stay in quarantine for the full 120 days.

You can also do some of the requirments at home before arriving and the animal will stay in quarantine up to the period to meet the full requirments.

Or, as most do, you complete all the requirments before arriving and ytour animal is released to you upon arrival.

The requirments are on the dept of agriculture animal quarantine website and they must be followed to the letter.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,333 times
Wow.. that's SO surprising.. I'm a little lerry of this though, because they're doing it to prevent the spread of rabies..
And even if you did everything you should, your dog could still be bitten by a dog with rabies, and possibly catch it, but yet, your dog will be released to you IMMEDIATELY after you arrive?

That never used to be the case, you had to keep your dog in quarantine, for at least 3-6 months.... that was years ago... but that was the way it used to be.
Hmm... that's strange... I hope that Hawaii doesn't start getting cases of rabies. One good thing about Hawaii, is it has no known cases or rabies, while the mainland is consumed with them.
They ain't go no deer either, thank the Good Lord! Whew.. Lyme Disease is epidemic on the mainland too. Bad news. No poison ivy either. It's heaven there! I miss it so...

Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There's small spotted axis deer on Molokai and I've heard reports of them on the Big Island, now, too, although I've never met anyone who has actually seen one. It's always been the sister of their cousin's neighbor who though she saw one, etc.

The dogs (and cats, too, I think) have to get rabies shots so if they did get bit by a rabid animal they wouldn't catch it. Then they have to have all the bloodwork done and geta microchip and all sorts of things (it's all on the quarantine website) and then for a small fee of almost two hundred dollars, the animal can be released after it's inspected at the airport, I think. If all these things aren't done precisely, then the animal is put into quarantine. It's a shorter quarantine than the 180 day ones they used to have, but it's still a long time and is going to be expensive.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Wow.. that's SO surprising.. I'm a little lerry of this though, because they're doing it to prevent the spread of rabies..
And even if you did everything you should, your dog could still be bitten by a dog with rabies, and possibly catch it, but yet, your dog will be released to you IMMEDIATELY after you arrive?
(1) The previous rules were arbitrary. Rabies can incubate for as long as 6 months in dogs before showing signs. So a dog could have been bitten just before arriving, sit in quarantine for 120 days, and still be infected when released.

(2) The new regulations are as good as the old. The dog must test negative for rabies 120 days prior to arriving. During that time, the dog must also be covered by a current rabies shot, so even if bit, the dog won't be infected in that 120 day period.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,551 times
Aloha kakahiaka

My daughter and I have decided to take the plunge and move to Hawai'i! It will be at least a year if not longer before we can get there. Luckily we don't have much to move, ourselves and clothes so getting there won't be such a problem. We do not have any contacts there and won't be able to visit so finding a place to live will be a challenge Oh, my 72 year old mother may be coming with us but even so our income will be pretty low but fixed.

I've spoken to a doctor here in the states (North Carolina) that lived there for years and he's suggested us going to Hilo, Hi mainly because of the quieter lifestyle and the culture experience we really want. I've done research and it seems the High School there is pretty nice so we're leaning heavily to moving to Hilo. I'm also kinda looking in Wailuku, HI mainly because it looks like a better place for work but the school there does not seem as good (from what i've been reading, no offense to anyone if I'm mistaken!)

So if anyone has experience in those two areas i would really appreciate advice. We won't have a car to worry about and are looking forward to doing al ot of walking But given that we need to be close to the school or in the district where my daughter Katelyn can ride the bus.

We want a simple life, outside more than inside so we can enjoy our new future home.

Thanks in advance!

bon

Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM

129 posts, read 371,636 times
There are deer all over Upcountry Maui with many hunters too. I don't know about rabies but deer are pretty plentiful.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursie View Post
Aloha kakahiaka

My daughter and I have decided to take the plunge and move to Hawai'i! It will be at least a year if not longer before we can get there. Luckily we don't have much to move, ourselves and clothes so getting there won't be such a problem. We do not have any contacts there and won't be able to visit so finding a place to live will be a challenge Oh, my 72 year old mother may be coming with us but even so our income will be pretty low but fixed.

I've spoken to a doctor here in the states (North Carolina) that lived there for years and he's suggested us going to Hilo, Hi mainly because of the quieter lifestyle and the culture experience we really want. I've done research and it seems the High School there is pretty nice so we're leaning heavily to moving to Hilo. I'm also kinda looking in Wailuku, HI mainly because it looks like a better place for work but the school there does not seem as good (from what i've been reading, no offense to anyone if I'm mistaken!)

So if anyone has experience in those two areas i would really appreciate advice. We won't have a car to worry about and are looking forward to doing al ot of walking But given that we need to be close to the school or in the district where my daughter Katelyn can ride the bus.

We want a simple life, outside more than inside so we can enjoy our new future home.

Thanks in advance!

bon

If you just want rural, and don't care about beaches and such, why move to Hawaii in the first place? There are small towns all over the USA that would be better than Hilo. Some are even just as rainy as Hilo.

Wailuku is a dead town. The main things there are state and county government offices. It's also a long way from good beaches, and it's cloudy most days.

BTW you NEED a car on Maui or the Big Island. "A lot of walking", hah! You have the wrong idea about Hawaii island and Maui.

Edit: When your 72 year old mother has a heart attack or a stroke, Maui is the last place you want her to be, and I'm sure the same goes for the Big Island.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:33 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
Wailuku had certainly devolved, but I think it's on the way up again. Main Street has been flourishing with new business, including coffee shops, restaurants, and small boutiques that are now drawing in shoppers from outside the area.

Their First Friday evenings are getting immensely popular and pull in great business for the shops that stay open for that monthly evening event. In addition, craft and food sellers are able to set up for the event and have also reported a good return.

With the Maui Bus system, people can now do without a car for more of their life than before it went into such wide operation. Of course this depends on your lifestyle and inclinations, but for those that are more deliberate about their trips and chores, the bus works just fine.

I'm guessing that Wailuku and the nearby housing areas are going to see a boom in the future. It's the perfect combination of low prices now, but development planned for the future. A place where people can invest more easily into something on the way up, versus the new developments where the prices are out of range. I'm talking about both commercial and residential.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,278 times
Aloha, My name is steve my wife Sharon and I visit Maui evey 2 years, we always stay in Kaanapali at the KBH near black rock, in fact we were married there 10 years ago! we love the climat and the pace of life as compared to the busy so. cal scene that is getting all to stressful these days.

I recently read your post and was wondering if there are any regrets with your relocation? we too want to move over as soon as our youngest gets settled in college ( 2-3 years ) and i suppose the biggest question is does the magic end when you live as opposed to vacation on maui?

secondly, we both have alot of hospitality experience and saw in your post that the market is good for those with a strong work ethic. having said that restaurants / hotels, what type of income can be expected and is it enough to get by with?

thank you for any information that you can provide, we really appreciate it!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui