Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:15 PM

17 posts, read 130,651 times

Advertisements

Seattle to Maui,

What a boost for me to read your post! Much of what I read on the Forum is practical and sobering, and I appreciate a healthy dose of reality, yet I needed to hear your positive experience, especially about jobs in the f&b industry.

My partner & I are planning our move at the end of the year, likely Oahu, due to the number of restaurants/hotels. I have over 15 yrs of rest mgmt exp, casual to fine-dining. I've been worried about finding a job, and I'm leery about moving without one. I definitely feel better after reading your upbeat post.

Just wanted to say thanks & I wish you the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back on here, I didn't think anyone would respond.

We've only been here 2 months but we aren't getting island fever yet. There is SO much to do here and we have done a lot so far...been to several beaches, snorkeled in various places, been on a few hikes and seen a few different cities. We haven't even hit the upcountry yet! I can honestly say I don't think we will get sick of living here.

I'm not sure about insurance yet because we haven't gotten our Hawaii tag...be prepared to get a "safety check" when you get your car here. Matson was really good with shipped our car. They gave us a estimate of when they thought our car would arrive (april 1st) but it got here a little early (march 27th). We dropped our car off at Matson on the 9th.

I hope this is all helpful. The jobs here are awesome! I just got an offer to apply as a restaurant manager in Wailea and I don't have experince but they just want good workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
Smile Thank you so much for your post. We are hopefully moving to Kauai sept or Oct 2011.

Quote:
So...you guys may remember that my boyfriend and I came on here searching for advice on moving to Maui, so I figured I'd return the favor and tell you what it's REALLY like to move here. Nearly all the negativity we encountered wasn't true at all...I don't think those people live here!

Finding an apartment: There are "ohana" rentals everwhere. You have a small room/apartment that is usually semi attacted or detached from someones house. We ended up with a 700 sqft 1 br for $1000 a month, plus elecricty which is like $80 a month. Internet and water were included. We moved to South Kihei, and can walk to the beach in under 10 min.

Jobs: I was transferred here with Starbucks, so for me, it was easy. If you want to work in the hospitality industry, getting a job with be SO easy for you, maybe a little harder if you are a guy. From what I see it is really easy to move up at your job here. I have a friend who started low level at the Grand Wailea about 2 years ago and now she's the manager of the beach activities.

Travel: EVERYTHING is SO SO SO much closer than we read. Lahaina is only about 45 min away and Kahului is about 20 min away

Cost of living: Yeah, gas is pretty expensive and so is food. One of the best pieces of advice we got was to shop the sales, not what you want. If you go to Safeway in the morning, you find awesome deals on meats in the clearance bins (shrimp, ahi, steak...all 50% off)

We have a one car, and a scooter. We use the car for trips only and only have to fill the tank once every 3 weeks. Everything in Kihei is really close so
a scooter is all you really need. I hope all this helps you! If you are wanting to move here and have more questions feel free to ask me!

And at least you know you are getting advice from people that actually live here and can tell you what its currently like!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 130,651 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Hi Koale,

Thanks for the reminder! I use Google Maps Street view as much as possible to check out areas & have found it so helpful.

Mahalo,

JayBeeNOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Try using Google Maps and 'drive' around the island. It's a terrific tool to give you a feel of the neighborhoods, beaches etc. You can sport around 'upcountry' a bit and drive down Front Street in Lahaina. After we landed on Maui it was just like 'coming home'. We used it to scout out rentals we were interested in. That saved alot of time once we got here. We knew exactly where we were going. We recognized familiar landmarks and felt like we had already lived here for years. It's a great tool.
Aloha to all of you!
Koale

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

174 posts, read 349,255 times
Yes, thank you for this post and updated posts. We are planning a move to Oahu, keeping fingers crossed that it will be before the end of the year.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 12,057 times
Default Great Video

Quote:
I'm glad you guys are finding our advice helpful. I think pay here is MUCH higher. I got a $2.00/hr raise just transferring here! I just wanted to give you guys a link to our youtube page if you want to see some of the many adventures you can have here!

P.S...our scooter exhaust pipe broke today...I HATE this thing! Buy a nice one!!!

YouTube - AshleyAndyAdventures's Channel

If any of you guys live here now, feel free to stop in and ask for Ashley at the Starbucks on South Kihei Road...I will probably give you a free drink!
What camera did you use for the snorkeling video? My Fuji is not near the quality you have.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:14 PM

14 posts, read 68,188 times
We use a Kodak Playsport. It was only $105 and we are really really happy with it : )

Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 7,096 times
it is hard to find a place that will take pets. a lot of the condos do not allow pets either.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,096 times
Default My turn to move to Hawaii

I started to move in 2002 but chickened out. I am now getting ready to move to either Oahu or Maui. Pros/cons for both please. What is a resonable about of money needed to live in a nice 1 bedroom in a nice area. I need something with A/C. I also want something close to the beach. I also am bringing living room, bedroom set and a kitchen table as well as my car. I am having a hard time finding an unfurnished place. Also I am an RN, 17 years anyone know someone at any of the hospitals?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,333 times
God, OP, you make me so homesick! I used to live in Kula. what a wonderful place.

you're so right.. everything is so close by on the islands. I'm getting older now.. not THAT old, but I'm getting so darn tired of putting thousands of miles on my car every year and spending all that gas besides.

When I lived in Oahu, i had a scooter too, and for 90 cents I cud fill up the gas tank and get to work!

I don't know.. i'm starting to think to continue to live on the mainland, isn't worth what it's supposedly cracked up to be..
I'd rather on less, and have a more quality way of life.
Do you like the folks on Maui? I met some really nice cool people on Maui. My best friend was from there...
Maybe i shud go on the internet and see what kind of jobs are there..
I remember i rented this super cool nice house, for only $450 a month for rent. Course that was years ago.. but even moving to the mainland, I never found a place as cheap to rent, or as nice as that place was! 2 story house, with great lanai.. great view of the beach....
Yeah.. i think the mainland has become a ripoff! glad you like maui!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,333 times
How are the rental prices now in Maui? Can you get a 2 bedroom house, out of the city for a decent price?
What are the local papers now in Maui? Are there any jobs available down at the airport? We got our aviation degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui