Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 67,844 times

Advertisements

I just got a call he wants to do another phone interview tomorrow....that's promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,595 times
Even $20/hr isn't enough on Maui for a single person, much less two people. That's definitely scraping by. Look at the cost of living thread. I make $16.80 an hour which comes out to $11.36 after taxes, health insurance, etc. It's just not enough.

You won't be able to afford private school. You won't want your daughter in public high school here, unless your idea of a bright future for her includes teen pregnancy, meth, etc...

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,631 times
Jeepers, not every Maui teen is pregnant or on meth or even in any kind of trouble. An involved parent is the best for education and keeping a child safe.

Our California worker says that CA is now ranked 49th in school testing! Yikes. But her kids are smart as can be, because she and her husband are involved in their education. Don't leave your child's future up to someone else.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Jeepers, not every Maui teen is pregnant or on meth or even in any kind of trouble. An involved parent is the best for education and keeping a child safe.

Our California worker says that CA is now ranked 49th in school testing! Yikes. But her kids are smart as can be, because she and her husband are involved in their education. Don't leave your child's future up to someone else.
There is a lot more of that here than in the typical suburban school on the mainland. And on Maui you can't escape to a better school by moving, you can only send the kid to private school. The middle school I went to in Houston was in a semi bad area that was getting worse... 12 year olds getting pregnant, drugs, etc. I was really lucky we moved outside of the city, so I feel sorry for kids who are stuck in bad schools.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM

159 posts, read 367,647 times
My God Wink, it's bad enough when you're on a whining spell, but really to venture into the school realm and you're not even a parent.

Many folks went to not so great schools and became successful in their own right. Again, you don't know the OP and her child, their relationship, the child's current school, etc.

It's becoming really tiring reading you're negativity in every post you respond to.

Please go to the thrift store, replace your six/seven year old pair of shoes and get on with your life. Quit whining, get a second job, and move back to Texas. Not that you'll be happy there, 'cause you're just a misserable person. Doom's Day to the core.

You need to seek help for your pessimism, it is no where near normal.

I hope you can get back to Texas and join your family, maybe that will help your outlook.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,631 times
With all respect, not everyone on the mainland can move either. It's more logistically possible, as far as driving away, but always a financial problem. I'm discounting here those folks who have the finances to make any move, because those aren't the folks we're talking about.

I grew up in the Bay Area, going to a school with gang problems, and plenty of drugs. We had gang fights, guns, barbed wire and a closed campus. Our parents were involved in our schooling, making sure we did homework and came home.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just saying that in any situation you can only make the best of it with the tools you have. I'm saying that if the schools here are not up to someone's level of expectation, you can either move (and they can't) or supplement. You shouldn't just complain and suffer, you have to find a solution for yourself, and I'm suggesting that solution is to be involved.

My neighbor has 2 kids, one in public schools and one too young. Neighbor spends a lot of time making education a priority, and that's on top of 2 jobs and taking care of the house & younger child. When you play, you can play learning games, even verbally. You can check the homework and teach them more. You just have to, everywhere. If you give up, that's no answer to the child's future.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You won't want your daughter in public high school here, unless your idea of a bright future for her includes teen pregnancy, meth, etc...
"Here" could be anywhere is the USA right now. I know that Oregon, Washington and Idaho is infested with meth. These problems are everywhere. It is up to parents to educate their kids, be strong role models and hope for a little bit of luck as well!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
My God Wink, it's bad enough when you're on a whining spell, but really to venture into the school realm and you're not even a parent.

Many folks went to not so great schools and became successful in their own right. Again, you don't know the OP and her child, their relationship, the child's current school, etc.

It's becoming really tiring reading you're negativity in every post you respond to.

Please go to the thrift store, replace your six/seven year old pair of shoes and get on with your life. Quit whining, get a second job, and move back to Texas. Not that you'll be happy there, 'cause you're just a misserable person. Doom's Day to the core.

You need to seek help for your pessimism, it is no where near normal.

I hope you can get back to Texas and join your family, maybe that will help your outlook.
So are you going to personally apologize to her when her daughter gets pregnant and the father is some Filipino drug dealer? I don't think so.

People need to be aware that the schools in Hawaii are crap, just like most inner city schools on the mainland. Yes, a lot of people go to bad schools and turn out OK, but that doesn't mean the schools aren't bad or that this lady would want to take the risk. No, I don't have kids, but I have a friend who works at Baldwin High. It sounds worse than the school I went to in Houston. I also know a guy who is moving to a small town in Oregon because his daughter is in middle school and isn't learning anything.

Threads like this are not the place for optimism and bull****. This is two peoples' lives we're talking about, including a 13 year old girl who should have a bright future ahead of her. This is the place to educate people on the reality, including negative reality, of living here. If you have a problem with reality, go put a flower in your hair and play your ukelele for the tourists, and don't read the post, don't criticize other people for "whining".

So let me say this again. Do not expect high school on Maui to be any better than an inner city high school on the mainland. Raise your hand if you have experience with inner city schools and know how bad it is for kids. *raises hand*

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-17-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,498 times
Wink,
What is the name of the small town in Oregon? Sadly, you're friend might be in for an awful surprise.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Wink,
What is the name of the small town in Oregon? Sadly, you're friend might be in for an awful surprise.
I can't remember but I think it's a suburb of Portland, not a real rural place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: