Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malish1 View Post
I worked as a cargo agent and send a lot of dogs all over the world. All u need is to have all vaccinations and certificate of health examination.
Sorry, but that is not the whole story. If you send (or bring) your dog to Hawai'i without complying EXACTLY with State Ag Department procedures, your dog will wind up in quarantine until you are in full compliance, and that quarantine can last up to 120 days.

Dogs get sent to Hawai'i all the time that wind up in quarantine because they haven't met all the requirements, and it is both expensive for the owner and unpleasant for the dog.

This has been extensively discussed in previous threads here. Do a search on "quarantine" to pull therm up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
It is not difficult to meet the requirements for airport release, but the requirements are very precise and there is a time line that must be followed exactly. Things must be done exactly right and in the right order and the proper permits and documentation must be obtained.

Easy Peasy if you follow the checklist. If you can't follow directions, your dog will be turned away or locked up in the quarantine station (very expensive!!!)

Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM

65 posts, read 96,825 times
Thank you very much, we did start the paperwork for our dogs and we are on the 120 days waiting time.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

27 posts, read 124,261 times
Once you get to Maui, if you want to get rid of the crates, you could donate them to the Maui Humane Society, they're always looking for them.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM

20 posts, read 27,098 times
I'm moving to maui w 1 smaller dog end of July. I'm bringing mine in cabin direct flight on Alaska San Diego to Oahu. As long as you have your 2 rabies vaccines, microchip, and blood draw (already verified by Kansas) the dogs can come. Where I am debating is its 1080 for 120 day quarantine on Oahu. Plus you have to give monthly flea and tick so another charge for that. You can cargo the dog to Maui, but that is another fee per night of 35 for 120 days! Trust me I have called south shore and central maui vet! So around 4k to quarantine one dog on Maui.

In your situation w 2 large dogs Id presume ??? I'd leave them on mainland and get situated and cargo them. However, literally no one will rent to a person w 2 large dogs. I have a tiny mixed breed and only after they met me, had work references, saw pics if her and a video did they say yes! She won't even be in the unit I rented until November! Just be aware. It's not like the mainland where you fill out an app and are set up dog or not. They like to feel you out first. If you present as clean, professional, stable income etc much better chance! While Maui is beautiful it attracts a lot if unemployed drifters who party and keep dogs....ruined it for regular folks .

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM

65 posts, read 96,825 times
We have one a small dog and other one is a black lab. Do you believe it is really hard to find the rental place for us? We are agree to pay bigger deposit for them.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
We have one a small dog and other one is a black lab. Do you believe it is really hard to find the rental place for us? We are agree to pay bigger deposit for them.
With one dog I estimate that 90% of the rentals will not be available to you, sorry. With two dogs, I'd guess it's more like 95%. To me it's one of the great ironies of island living that so many people want to own dogs here, but so many landlords just don't accept them.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM

20 posts, read 27,098 times
By law there is no such thing as a 'pet deposit ' on maui. A lab? Will be very tough. Likewise with two dogs...impossible! Unless you know a friend who knows a friend who has an ohana etc....

I got my place through people at my new job because they new me, they normally don't allow pets.

They saw she was a very sweet, mellow girl in my video so they allowed it as a 'favor '. This was after the couple in the main house said they'd allow it.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimagic View Post
By law there is no such thing as a 'pet deposit ' on maui.
There is now, effective as of November, just signed into law by the governator. It can be any amount the landlord wants.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
I just posted this in another thread, but will copy/paste it here too, regarding the new law:

There is a limit on how much a pet deposit can be: one month's rent. The final version of SB328 SB1 HD2 CD1 that was passed into law states [my bolds]:

Quote:
(4) Compensate for damages under subsection (b) caused by any pet animal allowed to reside in the premises pursuant to the rental agreement.

(b) The landlord may require, as a condition of a rental agreement, a security deposit to be paid by or for the tenant for the items in subsection (a) and no others[,] in an amount not in excess of a sum equal to one month's rent[.], plus an amount agreed upon by the landlord and tenant to compensate the landlord for any damages caused by any pet animal allowed to reside in the premises pursuant to the rental agreement; provided that the additional security deposit amount for a pet animal under this subsection:
(1) Shall not be required:

(A) From any tenant who does not have a pet animal that resides in the premises; or
(B) For an assistance animal that is a reasonable accommodation for a tenant with a disability pursuant to section 515-3; and
(2) Shall be in an amount not in excess of a sum equal to one month's rent.
Testimony submitted stated that there are now more pets on Oahu than school age children (more than 700,000 cats and dogs), an estimated 265,000 dogs as pets on Oahu, and that 60% of Oahu homes have at least one pet.

This change to the law will hopefully allow landlords to have a larger financial comfort zone about renting to pet owners, which should open up more rentals to households with pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui