Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM

65 posts, read 96,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I would not expect a dramatic change. It should loosen things up a little, but all the concerns about fleas and smells and noise and damage and liability aren't going to disappear overnight.

But good luck with it.
We are the landlords themselves in CA having four rental houses . And on the ground of our experience, I can tell you, 2 little kids would destroy the property much more than 2 good behaved dogs - that is for sure. And noise and mess around... We are much eagerly renting out our houses to the family with dogs (without little kids) than to the family with two little kids. I am sure a lot of landlords would support our opinion.
So, do you believe nothing will be changed with this new pet law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,217 times
I suspect cat lovers are going to fire back, however I personally think cats have more potential to stink up a house for a long time even after a tenant has moved out.

* If the cat was using an indoor litter box, that smell seems to permeate the entire interior of a house, even though it's 'odor-control' litter.

* If it's an indoor/outdoor cat, the potential for a male cat to have access to come in and spray is high. The odor of cat spray is strong and longstanding.

* I noticed that a lot of people with 'one' cat often actually have, or end up with several cats.

* Often cat lovers end up putting a food bowl outside for the 'feral' cats and those hang around insistently.

* Often when a tenant can't take their cats or cats with them, upon moving, the cats stay behind thus adding to the feral cat population of the neighborhood. I once even had a tenant after moving out, come by every 2 days to leave food in an outdoor food bowl for their' left behind pets'.

* I just recently had a Maui Landlord demand as part of the lease, that I accept and feed the cat 'of the house', mind you this was an indoor/outdoor cat and I was instructed not to 'lock it outside'...furthermore, if I did not take adequate care of said cat, I would be charged $300 dollars a month for the neighbor to come feed it. No kidding. Insane Maui Landlord. Needless to say I took the Landlord to Small Claims court on this issue (one of many).

Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I suspect cat lovers are going to fire back, however I personally think cats have more potential to stink up a house for a long time even after a tenant has moved out.

* If the cat was using an indoor litter box, that smell seems to permeate the entire interior of a house, even though it's 'odor-control' litter.

* If it's an indoor/outdoor cat, the potential for a male cat to have access to come in and spray is high. The odor of cat spray is strong and longstanding.

* I noticed that a lot of people with 'one' cat often actually have, or end up with several cats.

* Often cat lovers end up putting a food bowl outside for the 'feral' cats and those hang around insistently.

* Often when a tenant can't take their cats or cats with them, upon moving, the cats stay behind thus adding to the feral cat population of the neighborhood. I once even had a tenant after moving out, come by every 2 days to leave food in an outdoor food bowl for their' left behind pets'.

* I just recently had a Maui Landlord demand as part of the lease, that I accept and feed the cat 'of the house', mind you this was an indoor/outdoor cat and I was instructed not to 'lock it outside'...furthermore, if I did not take adequate care of said cat, I would be charged $300 dollars a month for the neighbor to come feed it. No kidding. Insane Maui Landlord. Needless to say I took the Landlord to Small Claims court on this issue (one of many).
WOW, that is crazy and funny in the same time!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,217 times
Yes, I definitely think having a strong sense of humor makes your life experience on Maui a much more pleasant one, especially when dealing in Landlord/Tenant issues!

Someone could easily have enough material to make a Reality TV show out of the drama that ensues from both sides of the Landlord/Tenant relationship. I'm sure there's outlandish behavior on both ends.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM

A strong sense of humor is needed for sure!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
We are the landlords themselves in CA having four rental houses . And on the ground of our experience, I can tell you, 2 little kids would destroy the property much more than 2 good behaved dogs - that is for sure. And noise and mess around... We are much eagerly renting out our houses to the family with dogs (without little kids) than to the family with two little kids. I am sure a lot of landlords would support our opinion.
So, do you believe nothing will be changed with this new pet law?
Well, you can't legally deny the renter with 2 kids if they are qualified. You can deny pets.

With that said - the reason the new pet law probably won't change much is that it is a landlord market right now - supply is tight and it isn't like inventory is sitting around. There isn't an incentive for a landlord to open up to pet rentals if they don't have to. Extra rent is an incentive for some. But otherwise, why rent to someone with pets if you can get the same rent from someone without pets? The other challenge, regardless of the law on security deposits - many condo's HOA's don't allow pets.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,058,616 times
seriously there literally are only a "handful" of condo's that allow dogs, I would say less than a dozen. of that, there is a weight limit notably under 15 pounds. many more will allow a cat or bird, but not dogs, the majority are no pets period. I used to have a list of dog friendly condo's but can't find it at present. I will see if I can dig it up.

the best bet for a renter will be with a house.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well, you can't legally deny the renter with 2 kids if they are qualified. You can deny pets.

With that said - the reason the new pet law probably won't change much is that it is a landlord market right now - supply is tight and it isn't like inventory is sitting around. There isn't an incentive for a landlord to open up to pet rentals if they don't have to. Extra rent is an incentive for some. But otherwise, why rent to someone with pets if you can get the same rent from someone without pets? The other challenge, regardless of the law on security deposits - many condo's HOA's don't allow pets.
Of course, if the extra money (pet deposit) would not be an incentive, why need to rent the property out at all? Plus to the pet deposit I would offer to pay all rent payments for the lease time upfront. Do you believe it will help? I am not in need of the condo -only the house. I need to have a backyard for my dogs.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Plus to the pet deposit I would offer to pay all rent payments for the lease time upfront. Do you believe it will help?
For your protection, this is prohibited by law.

The maximum a landlord can legally collect from you at the beginning of the lease in Hawai'i is 1 month rent, 1 month security deposit, and if you have pets (from November 2013 on) 1 additional month pet deposit.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Of course, if the extra money (pet deposit) would not be an incentive, why need to rent the property out at all? Plus to the pet deposit I would offer to pay all rent payments for the lease time upfront. Do you believe it will help? I am not in need of the condo -only the house. I need to have a backyard for my dogs.
If you want to try to incent a landlord to rent you a house that accepts pets legally - try offering more monthly rent to whatever number you are comfortable with. Worse case is they still say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui