Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1

I just noticed a 1 bedroom in Volcano on craigslist for $695 - just saying.
You didn't mention which ad you saw, but in that price range on the windward side of the Bigger Island, you have your choice of some nice places, some even less expensive than that. Sure, you can pay $1200 for some 1 BRs in Hilo or Puna, but I've also seen decent studios for $450, and nice 1BR for $550. Some are ohanas, some have full kitchens. Some are attached to a main residence, some are separate. Some have lots of privacy, some don't. Some are quite nice, some not so much. It can take time to look around for something suitable, because there are such a wide range of choices.

Here's a nice looking 1 bedroom in Volcano... maybe the one you saw?... that's currently listed at $695 by Clark Realty. They manage a lot of property in the area, and friends have told me they've been a good agency to work with. I don't know this specific property, but the photos look nice... take a look... full kitchen with island range counter, wood burning stove for winter heat saves electricity, big shaded lanai for sitting in comfort outside.

Volcano, 1 Bedroom 1 Bath

I know the Volcano area is not for everyone, primarily because of the high rainfall and cool temps, as I freely advise others about, but if you have a job at the park, or the volcanic observatory, or even plan to commute to a job in Hilo, about 29 miles, maybe 45 minutes travel time at rush hour, or less to closer points like Kea'au or Mountain View or even in the other direction to Pahala, the commute isn't bad at all. And it's a very friendly community with an active community center and arts center and good charter school.

Or how about this good looking 950 sq ft 1 BR w/w&d in unit! $650, in Hilo. There are lots of good values on the Big Island if you just look around.

Gorgeous place perfect for entertaining friends!

But no, the commute from either to Kihei, on Kau'ai, would be a killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I just have to laugh... Sorry to that member here that thinks Volcano is paradise...
It must be 45 years since Rowen & Martin's "Laugh In" introduced Americans to the now popular saying:
"Different Strokes for Different Folks."
It doesn't take much emotional intelligence to comprehend the truth in that statement, and it's become such a deep seated and broad public understanding by now that it's a bit startling to run into someone who apparently hasn't even read the memo yet.

And though I've said it before, I'll just repeat that in Volcano I have orchids growing everywhere, and big hapu'u tree ferns, and mountain apples and hibiscus and other flowers all happily flourishing in the lifegiving rain and mist and sunshine; and flocks of chattering gorgeous red and yellow and green honeydrippers feed in my ohia trees every day, along with dozens of other kinds of colorful birds, including Brazilian cardinals and Kalij pheasants. It's a never-ending delight for me. And I enjoy the high altitude star gazing here, and happily, there's not a single coqui frog in earshot so far. I completely understand the appeal of warm sandy beaches to others, but I'm bored with them after long years in Southern California, and I burned out on big city life after a lifetime working in the biggest and best of them. So for now, the quiet woodsy refuge I've found away from all that in my own slice of the rainforest, in a historic little village full of intelligent and cultured top shelf artists and writers and university professors and scientists, may not be perfect, and it obviously does not appeal to you, but yes, it is as close as I personally need to be to paradise at the present moment. So give it a rest now, OK?

Quote:
I can only imagine what that place looks like.
Trying to judge value by price alone is quite often a foolish game, especially in Puna. Look at the pictures for the Volcano ad I linked to above and ask yourself, why are you always mocking things you don't seem to understand, or don't seem to really know much about? And for that matter, why do you keep taking potshots at me for no reason?

For that matter, the biggest eeks I have had while helping people look for a place to live in Puna were down in the nabe where you say you live, near Pahoa, where the drug dealers set up shop every morning on the steps up to the First Hawaiian Bank, and the cops pay no attention at all, according to the highly frustrated neighbors.

And the biggest eek I can think of in the last week was the Craigslist listing for a $600 studio in Pahoa that turned out to be... based on the followup warning posted by someone who went to look at it... just the master bedroom and a shared bath and a shared kitchen in the home of a couple who are apparently mentally ill and quite frightening to deal with. It was a perfect illustration of our perennial warning on this forum to never commit to a long term living arrangement... rental or purchase... without actually seeing the place first. I'd share the gory details with you, but Craigslist just took down both ads.

I'm sure Maui is much the same... there are good places, and bad, sometimes side by side, and bargains and ripoffs, and people who will talk smack about this place or that, while others have an opposing view. The thing to do is to keep an open mind, and check things out thoroughly, and don't forget what Goldy Hawn used say... (ask somebody to check it for you on Wikipedia if you don't understand the reference)...
"Different Strokes for Different Folks."

Last edited by OpenD; 12-23-2013 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM

80 posts, read 194,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I just have to laugh... Sorry to that member here that thinks Volcano is paradise...

I can only imagine what that place looks like.
People have this false idea and misconception that Hawaii is paradise. It isn't, paradise is where you make it and is dependent upon what is important to you.

Ex. Why would someone leave paradise because they are unhappy?
Because it was never paradise for them to begin with.

Paradise is individual. As OpenD referenced.... "Different strokes for different folks"

Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
January update-- The rent is still too damn high in Kihei. I want to move down because Pukalani is too far from work. Think rents will go down in a month or two?

I'm going to start a campaign to ban private vacation rentals.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Think rents will go down in a month or two?
Definitely not - rent doesn't go down in Hawaii except in very limiting circumstances, with the economy doing so well here (record tourism), expect rent to continue to rise and rise.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Definitely not - rent doesn't go down in Hawaii except in very limiting circumstances, with the economy doing so well here (record tourism), expect rent to continue to rise and rise.
Everyone has said the rent is high now because of the time of year... I'm trying to figure out when rent will go down.

THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH. BAN VACATION RENTALS!!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:

THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH.
This is an easily solved problem - make more money.

Anyway, rent does not go down in a rising housing market and demand is high.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,915 times
Quote:
January update-- The rent is still too damn high in Kihei. I want to move down because Pukalani is too far from work. Think rents will go down in a month or two?

I'm going to start a campaign to ban private vacation rentals.
We stayed in Pukalani, its pretty centrally located. We didn't think it was that far from anywhere, except the far east or west side of the island. How far is your drive to work?

Tourism is the primary driver of the economy in Hawaii. I don't think you'd want to advocate anything that would destroy the economy where you live! Perhaps the rent isn't too high. Maybe you don't earn enough.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you don't earn enough.
History is starting to repeat itself for Wink unfortunately. We all saw this coming.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM

242 posts, read 392,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
History is starting to repeat itself for Wink unfortunately. We all saw this coming.
The only way for a Mainlander to make it on the Islands is to be able to take their job - and Mainland salary - with them. While the cost-of-living will still be higher than on the Mainland, at least they won't be hit with the 30% reduction in salary as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
The only way for a Mainlander to make it on the Islands is to be able to take their job - and Mainland salary - with them. While the cost-of-living will still be higher than on the Mainland, at least they won't be hit with the 30% reduction in salary as well.
I've hired over 30 people this past year from the mainland - and I'm happy to say, they are all doing quite well, seemingly able to find rentals or purchase homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui