Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've hired over 30 people this past year from the mainland - and I'm happy to say, they are all doing quite well, seemingly able to find rentals or purchase homes.
He should know too he lives on Maui, Big Island,Oahu all at the same time too and almost every major city on mainland. The all knowing it all wizard of oz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Quote:
History is starting to repeat itself for Wink unfortunately. We all saw this coming.
Only on this forum is complaining about the high rent due to lax law enforcement mean that "history is repeating itself". You know history was deciding to move to Houston because of a job offer that came after many months of not looking to relocate at all right, and mainly for family reasons and not to make more money?

I pay far less than I would in Houston for a place this nice, with perfect climate, and my commute is 35 minutes or 40 with traffic. That's physically impossible in Houston. Living in Kihei again would be nice but my quality of life is 100x as good as it was.

Guys, some of you need some perspective or something. Go and live in a ****hole like Baltimore for a year and see if high rent is as bad as you think it is.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 01-13-2014 at 11:43 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Wink, we lost count of the posts your first time around about your low pay and several people chimed in, don't make the same mistake again. And it appears you may have. It doesn't matter why rent is expensive, that is the market.

This isn't complicated. Make more money, live in your means, move to the mainland, or get a roommate or roommates like many young people do.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Wink, we lost count of the posts your first time around about your low pay and several people chimed in, don't make the same mistake again. And it appears you may have. It doesn't matter why rent is expensive, that is the market.

This isn't complicated. Make more money, live in your means, move to the mainland, or get a roommate or roommates like many young people do.
I have a roommate, I'm renting a room! I'm well within my means. BTW I even get health and dental insurance from my job now! I didn't in Texas, when I had a job!

Pukalani is great and the commute isn't that bad but Kihei would be NICE. I don't think you understand that rent is seasonally high there, that's what everybody says-- it's a tourist destination unlike where you live. Tourism shouldn't affect rent or house values, but does due to vacation rentals.

I'm serious about campaigning to ban them completely in residential zones. That's the thing about Maui, you actually can make a difference in the community. My friend who works in conservation here recently met with councilwoman Elle Cochrane and she switched her vote on the Olowalu land purchase.... in large part due to the online petition.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
it's a tourist destination unlike where you live
By far, and mean by far, Oahu, where I live, has the most tourists visiting. If I didn't mention it, By far.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I have a roommate, I'm renting a room! I'm well within my means. BTW I even get health and dental insurance from my job now! I didn't in Texas, when I had a job!

Pukalani is great and the commute isn't that bad but Kihei would be NICE. I don't think you understand that rent is seasonally high there, that's what everybody says-- it's a tourist destination unlike where you live. Tourism shouldn't affect rent or house values, but does due to vacation rentals.

I'm serious about campaigning to ban them completely in residential zones. That's the thing about Maui, you actually can make a difference in the community. My friend who works in conservation here recently met with councilwoman Elle Cochrane and she switched her vote on the Olowalu land purchase.... in large part due to the online petition.
you have put vacation rental and long term rentals in the same boat and they are two different things. rent is high everywhere on the island and not just in kihe, for both long term and vacation rentals. the long term rental prices are fixed and usually only rise when a tenant leaves and a new one comes in. vacation rental are seasonal, in winter they are higher because it is when the snow birds come and summer they are a bit less but still high. this is a world class island with limited places to live of course rent is high as it always has been. even 30 years ago people didn't like the price they had to pay then. same story different day is all.

your ***** about vacation rentals is more about the "have nots" vs the "haves". if it was your investment, your vacation rental I doubt you would want to see them banned. the income from them for the owner is just that income. we all need income, some more than others, but to want to ban vacation rentals because you don't have the money to live as you want is pretty inept at best.
we do have laws and restrictions about short term vacation rentals in residential areas.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
@hothulamaui

Not to start another discussion, or debate. I agree 30 years ago people complained about the high cost of rents. But even you have to admit that eventhou Hawaii was the most expensive in the country back then, it was still cheaper then today?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@hothulamaui

Not to start another discussion, or debate. I agree 30 years ago people complained about the high cost of rents. But even you have to admit that eventhou Hawaii was the most expensive in the country back then, it was still cheaper then today?
of course things were "cheaper" then, but all things being "equal" it was still difficult to find a place you could afford, a decent paying job and the time to live somewhat comfortably and enjoy your surroundings. life can be a grind. past, present and future even in paradise.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you have put vacation rental and long term rentals in the same boat and they are two different things. rent is high everywhere on the island and not just in kihe, for both long term and vacation rentals. the long term rental prices are fixed and usually only rise when a tenant leaves and a new one comes in. vacation rental are seasonal, in winter they are higher because it is when the snow birds come and summer they are a bit less but still high. this is a world class island with limited places to live of course rent is high as it always has been. even 30 years ago people didn't like the price they had to pay then. same story different day is all.

your ***** about vacation rentals is more about the "have nots" vs the "haves". if it was your investment, your vacation rental I doubt you would want to see them banned. the income from them for the owner is just that income. we all need income, some more than others, but to want to ban vacation rentals because you don't have the money to live as you want is pretty inept at best.
we do have laws and restrictions about short term vacation rentals in residential areas.
They are in the same boat. That's the point-- Vacation rentals distort the housing market. If you have any friends in Kihei, ask them why the rent is higher this time of year than in the summer.
Residential zones should be for residents only.

I know not everybody understands economics and can only see things a very limited microeconomic level, but renting your condo (often illegally) to tourists does much more than just give you some extra money. At the town or county level when thousands of pepole are doing it, it increases rent for everybody and inflates house values.

It would be different for renters at least if we had more apartment complexes here, but as far as I know there is only one in all of Kihei.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM

569 posts, read 780,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if it was your investment, your vacation rental I doubt you would want to see them banned. the income from them for the owner is just that income. we all need income, some more than others, but to want to ban vacation rentals because you don't have the money to live as you want is pretty inept at best.
Well, my wife and I own a condo in Kihei that's a LEGAL vacation rental and we rent it out when we're not using it. We also pay all rental taxes and higher property taxes. I agreee with what you're saying about it being up to the owner, but I do have a problem with those that rent out homes "under the table" and don't pay their fair share.

I also agree with Wink, to an extent. The more people that rent out their places as vacation rentals, the less supply there is for full-time renters and thus, higher prices.

Wink,
Check again in March or April, that's typcially when the vacation rental demand falls off and you might find something in Kihei where the owner is willing to rent it out for 8 or 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui