Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 AM

127 posts, read 180,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post
I still think people in Houston were nicer than dallas. Idk, I guess I adjusted to houston so me staying in shape was cake.

But... Texas is one of the states with the lowest unemployment. It may just be your general area of unemployment. Do you have family here in Maui?
I had heard that the unemployment rate was low here too, but I just find it hard to believe. Maybe because there are 6 million people here, and some work from home I guess. I lot of home schooled here too, although as Future pointed out there are some great districts in the outer suburbs.

I left Dallas in 1995, and really haven't been back except for business or HS/college reunion stuff. It's a very cosmopolitan place now, so I know I wouldn't fit in. I know it's a great place for younger singles, lots to do and lots of people to meet!

No family in Maui - I've been on my own for quite a while, but I have a feeling I'll meet a new family there in Maui!

BTW....Pappas RULES! I will miss all that tex-mex and seafood from that chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 PM

80 posts, read 194,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Hula View Post
I had heard that the unemployment rate was low here too, but I just find it hard to believe. Maybe because there are 6 million people here, and some work from home I guess. I lot of home schooled here too, although as Future pointed out there are some great districts in the outer suburbs.

I left Dallas in 1995, and really haven't been back except for business or HS/college reunion stuff. It's a very cosmopolitan place now, so I know I wouldn't fit in. I know it's a great place for younger singles, lots to do and lots of people to meet!

No family in Maui - I've been on my own for quite a while, but I have a feeling I'll meet a new family there in Maui!

BTW....Pappas RULES! I will miss all that tex-mex and seafood from that chain.
pappas is not as good as it used to be.

I would go to cyclone anayas before you leave though =P

a little upscale mexican, but still awesome

Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM

127 posts, read 180,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post

I would go to cyclone anayas before you leave though =P

a little upscale mexican, but still awesome
YUP!!! This place is awesome for sure. Right down the street from me in the Heights, also by work at City Place. Slim pickens in Maui unfortunately...but better place to live. I'll look for you when I get there and we'll have that Salsa cookoff, or tamale contest, or something like that! Hope your trip went well Rido, we're expecting a "cold" front tonight, freezing rain by Friday.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM

100 posts, read 138,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
That's exactly the attitude that gets people into trouble in their lives. I see it all the time. Young people want immediate gratification. This comes in the form of avoiding hard classes in school, going for the easy major instead of hard major that offers much higher financial rewards and a much higher probably of finding a high paying job. It also comes from working a job you love, but pays low wages, no benefits or poor benefits, no pension, and frequent unemployment during your working years.
The reason people have mid life crises is because they enter careers they don't enjoy; perhaps because their parents pushed them towards something higher paying or "safer". Love what you do, and you never have to work a day in your life.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
The reason people have mid life crises is because they enter careers they don't enjoy; perhaps because their parents pushed them towards something higher paying or "safer". Love what you do, and you never have to work a day in your life.
Of course its better to do something that you love IF and ONLY IF the job pays well and has benefits. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I know a couple. They are both engineers, both making a lot of money. Their jobs have good benefits. They have two grown up kids. Both kids were allowed to pursue a career that they loved, without regard to income or benefits. One majored in electronic drafting. He has a contracting job for 3 to 4 months, then 5 to 6 months with no job. Because his work isn't steady, the effective annual income is low with zero benefits.

The other kid majored in forestry. After graduating, he couldn't find a job and ended up working for Walmart, not making much money. I don't know if he has benefits. He has been working for Walmart for several years.

Both parents were successful, but their kids were not successful. As they get older, it will become harder and harder to be able to ever get high paying jobs. If they continue living that way for several decades, they will never be able to retire. They don't earn enough to live below what they earn, so they can't save anything for retirement. When they become older, eventually they won't be able to work and they will have to retire in absolute poverty.

I can see their likely future. They can't see, refuse to see, or don't care enough about their long term future while they are still young. I see them repeating the mistakes I had in life before I was 40 years old. I went back to school at 40 years old. In just over a year I got a two year IT degree. I earn five times what I used to earn at my low paying job. The working conditions are better. The work is about ten times easier. I have a lot of vacation time and benefits. I have a good pension. I live well below my means and save a lot for my retirement. I can retire anywhere I want to retire, including Hawaii.

The choice is clear to me. You have to invest in yourself by educating yourself in the right field of study. You need to work very hard in school to be the top of your class, not just shuffle through school, barely passing your classes. After graduating, you need to seek a high paying job or the right stepping stone jobs that will get you to the right high paying job. Bumming around after your graduation is a huge mistake! The longer the time after your graduation and your first job, the value of your degree is irroded. If several years passes after your graduation without a first job, the degree is essentially worthless.

Most people don't have high paying jobs and are not in the top 5% family incomes. I think most people could put in the effort required to rise to that level. But most people won't do what it takes to improve their lives. Limiting yourself to a low paying job you love is a huge mistake in my view.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
But most people won't do what it takes to improve their lives. Limiting yourself to a low paying job you love is a huge mistake in my view.
This thing where people don't care about low paying jobs and can't save and don't plan for retirement are simply in denial of the inevitable or think someone else will eventually take care of them (Government, spouse, inheritance/parents) - and when they get older - reality sets in if one of those things don't work out.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 PM

96 posts, read 145,231 times
I am not saying that what you state is wrong. But it's your personal view, based on your personal experience and observations. That does not mean people who do differently do it wrong (even tough many of them probably do not realize, or realize too late what track they are on). And just to play devil's advocate: I know just a few too many people who needed a bad wake-up call (brain-tumor, heart attack or similar) to realize that a career and work is NOT everything in life and that they do need to live in the moment. I believe the real challenge in life is to live in the moment but to still care about the future. This from someone who bummed around (as you would call it, I call it getting invaluable experience that comes in handy so uncountable times, certain things only life can teach you) AND got an education. Has had a fabulous career with a almost too steep incline, fell deep and now is trying to find a good balance. Life is not black or white. Between the two is the entire spectrum of a (Maui) rainbow....

Old 01-23-2014, 03:53 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoleka1 View Post
I am not saying that what you state is wrong. But it's your personal view, based on your personal experience and observations. That does not mean people who do differently do it wrong (even tough many of them probably do not realize, or realize too late what track they are on). And just to play devil's advocate: I know just a few too many people who needed a bad wake-up call (brain-tumor, heart attack or similar) to realize that a career and work is NOT everything in life and that they do need to live in the moment. I believe the real challenge in life is to live in the moment but to still care about the future. This from someone who bummed around (as you would call it, I call it getting invaluable experience that comes in handy so uncountable times, certain things only life can teach you) AND got an education. Has had a fabulous career with a almost too steep incline, fell deep and now is trying to find a good balance. Life is not black or white. Between the two is the entire spectrum of a (Maui) rainbow....
It's absolutely true that despite your best efforts, bad luck could derail your plans. Bad life changing events, like a brain tumor are out of your control. You can only make the best of what you can control. But that doesn't mean you should shuffle through your whole life and not try to improve your earnings and saving because something bad might happen.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM

100 posts, read 138,770 times
Quote:
It's absolutely true that despite your best efforts, bad luck could derail your plans. Bad life changing events, like a brain tumor are out of your control. You can only make the best of what you can control. But that doesn't mean you should shuffle through your whole life and not try to improve your earnings and saving because something bad might happen.
I agree, having some money for retirement is important. But retirement is not the end all. Rather than pushing our children into the highest paid career, we should be teaching them how to spend less. The amount of frivolous spending in America is, well frivolous. I would encourage everyone to watch a documentary called "This way of Life"...filmed practically in my backyard. The father is asked what he does for a living: "I live for a living" is his answer. If it's not yours, you are doing something wrong.
This Way of Life Movie

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
... The amount of frivolous spending in America is, well frivolous...
That frivolous spending is what fueled the economy, for several decades... Think of the people who worked in jobs that made boats, luxury cars, motor homes, etc... Frivolous spending has almost died out and those people are now out of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui