Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
All of Maui's like that. Except in Wailea and Kapalua they have gold plated uzis. With silencers in the better neighborhoods. It's all due to the cannibals and folks who aren't being observed at night.

Maui. It's a friggin hell hole
Maui can be an extremely scary place!
Why is rent so high in Kihei now?-060711.jpg

http://www.aeronewsdaily.com/060711.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Quote:
All of Maui's like that. Except in Wailea and Kapalua they have gold plated uzis. With silencers in the better neighborhoods. It's all due to the cannibals and folks who aren't being observed at night.

Maui. It's a friggin hell hole
RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing
Do yourself a favor and look at the crime data, over say the past year or two. Filter for assault and rape. Note how many rapes happen in Kahului and to a lesser extent Kihei. It's extremely common, and those are just he reported incidents. So when you hear a scream at night, what do you do? Ignore it and say "It's probably nothing" or do you call the police?

Domestic violence is also very common in Hawaii (and not shown on the map). Considering that a gun in the home is MOST likely to be used by a man to shoot his wife, I would hope that if you hear gunfire in your neighborhood you call the cops.

Life isn't all sunskis and aviator sunglasses Jung, even on Maui. I've noticed there's a certain segment of the population that is completely oblivious, probably on purpose. I bet you didn't hear about the guy who raped a woman, got off because there wasn't enough evidence according to prosecutors, then a few months later imprisoned and raped another woman for two weeks. You know where he found her? Quaint little Pukalani Foodland. And do you remember the homeless camp in Lahaina that they cleared out? In 2010 or 2011 here was a man that was tortured in there for days. It never made the news but locals on the West side knew about it.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-14-2014 at 05:59 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
I've never implied that life on Maui was all Maitais, sunsets, and never ending happiness without interruption. It's just that you have shown a tendency, from the very beginning, to dwell on the negatives, and exaggerate. Sure there are some terrible happenings on Maui, kidnappings, crystal meth, rape, robbery, homelessness. However, in relation to Houston, I'll take Maui's problems any day of the week.

And whats a 'sunski'?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
And whats a 'sunski'?
It's a solar powered personal water thrillcraft, the kind you shouldn't try to operate after too many mai tais.

And I'm completely with you on the Maui vs Houston question.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I've never implied that life on Maui was all Maitais, sunsets, and never ending happiness without interruption. It's just that you have shown a tendency, from the very beginning, to dwell on the negatives, and exaggerate. Sure there are some terrible happenings on Maui, kidnappings, crystal meth, rape, robbery, homelessness. However, in relation to Houston, I'll take Maui's problems any day of the week.

And whats a 'sunski'?
LOL, I meant surfski. I must have been thinking of Sun & Ski Sports.

I'm not dwelling on the negative, the point is that if I live next to a big abandoned lot and I hear something suspicious, I'm going to be responsible for doing something about it myself or calling the police.

The vast majority of people seem to either not care, assume nothing bad ever happens, or just have really bad hearing and observational ability. Last week I heard 3 gun shots here, and I walked up the street to see if anybody else heard. One guy was outside spraying weeds and he said he heard, and it came from up in the neighborhood (not the gulch). But did he call the police? No, I was the only one in the whole of Pukalani who did. I guess it was somebody doing target practice in his yard? I have no idea. But for all I knew, it was yet another potential girlfriend/spouse murder.

Yeah it would be a lot more convenient and less stressful to not care about what happens to other people!

Yes Houston is far far worse which is why I don't live there. It's actually amazing how bad Houston is-- It's one of the world's human trafficking hubs, yet there have been very few arrests. The same goes for Honolulu actually... There was a motel fire in Houston last year in which several firefighters died. But the newspapers never reported that the motel was being used for child prostitution.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-14-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
:

The vast majority of people seem to either not care, assume nothing bad ever happens, or just have really bad hearing and observational ability.
As someone who's lived here since before you were born, and knows a HELL of a lot of people, THAT'S an exaggeration.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
As someone who's lived here since before you were born, and knows a HELL of a lot of people, THAT'S an exaggeration.
I didn't say here, I mean in general. People just don't give a damn, or they're oblivious.

Explain to me how it is that my neighbor was beating his wife a few weeks ago, and I could hear her screaming from a block away, yet no one else called the police in that case either? Maybe up here in Pukalani it's just some manifestation of rural culture--- You mind your own business and treat domestic violence as a family matter?

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-14-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Explain to me how it is that my neighbor was beating his wife a few weeks ago, and I could hear her screaming from a block away, yet no one else called the police in that case either?
That's asking me to accept a certain premise. Folks I know upcountry would call the cops. Without question.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM

569 posts, read 780,991 times
Quote:
It looks like a potential homeless camp or site for other unsavory activity at night when there's no one paying attention. I don't think I want to live by there.
Whoa! Have you spent any time in this area?

South Maui's beachfront area is about as savory as it gets, and is one of those "vacation paradise" areas that people on this board are always warning people not expect all of Maui to be like. I honestly wouldn't be at all concerned about this at all. there are a few lots in the area that are still undeveloped, like the one just South of Maui Banyan condos, and the comments are usually "I hope that lot is never developed as it might ruin my ocean view."

This is a part of the island that it's in everyone's interest to keep "wonderful" so the tourists keep coming back. Not saying there are no problems (like the racist-local guy in the video at Kalama Park), but you really couldn't pick a more mellow area without finding something in a gated community.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Whoa! Have you spent any time in this area?

South Maui's beachfront area is about as savory as it gets, and is one of those "vacation paradise" areas that people on this board are always warning people not expect all of Maui to be like. I honestly wouldn't be at all concerned about this at all. there are a few lots in the area that are still undeveloped, like the one just South of Maui Banyan condos, and the comments are usually "I hope that lot is never developed as it might ruin my ocean view."

This is a part of the island that it's in everyone's interest to keep "wonderful" so the tourists keep coming back. Not saying there are no problems (like the racist-local guy in the video at Kalama Park), but you really couldn't pick a more mellow area without finding something in a gated community.
I get what you're saying but personally I'd rather not have to constantly think to myself "Was that noise I heard a couple having sex in a nearby condo or was it someone getting raped in the overgrown unlit lot next door that no one patrols at night?"

You might think that's unlikely but it's not-- Look around the area on that interactive crime map I posted!

BTW I should also note that part of the fence has been torn down, so obviously people do go back there. I wonder why they just stopped developing it. It can't be cheap to hold on to a piece of property like that for years and years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui