Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I said going to be...it seems like it will be eventually all be automated at some point with less and less human intervention.

You can try to automate mapping (digitizing) and cartography, but you can't really. Not until we create sentient robots will a computer able to interpret a legal document and turn it into geographic data.

There are services that automate cartography, but they create bad maps. A computer program doesn't have an aesthetic sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A computer program doesn't have an aesthetic sense
Yet.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,919 times
I don't agree rents all over the island are affordable except in Kihei. You just have to get incredibly lucky, and know someone. I find west side rent to be the most on the island. I don't care for that side so it doesn't bother me at all. The rents seemed to just escalate this past November or so for some reason. I think it's just the lack of housing. I'd like to move out of my 2/2 in Kihei Villages and into an ohana where I'm not around so many people, but I have such a great deal and they let me have a dog, so for now I'm staying. Good luck to you!

Keep looking or get a roommate. Also, if you're a guy I'm sure living in some sort of tiny room wouldn't matter to you as much.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 AM

Well I had found a room to rent in Wailea, but I haven't heard from the lady in 4 days... It's not looking good.

I have to say, I'm tired of the culture of flaking that seems to exist here. Has anyone else observed this? So far I've seen it with models, with photography gigs, with GIS contract work, with dates, and now even landlords!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 AM

242 posts, read 392,308 times
Quote:
Well I had found a room to rent in Wailea, but I haven't heard from the lady in 4 days... It's not looking good.

I have to say, I'm tired of the culture of flaking that seems to exist here. Has anyone else observed this? So far I've seen it with models, with photography gigs, with GIS contract work, with dates, and now even landlords!
Tell me again all the positives that made you come back to Maui, because the vast majority of your posts are overwhelming negative.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:

Sure Blink, it's all Maui. The Island has it in for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Sure Blink, it's all Maui. The Island has it in for you.
I'm making a cultural observation, about Hawaii, not specifically Maui... Other people have said the same thing.

I've had about 5 girls volunteer to model, and every single one has flaked-- except they don't tell me they're flaking, they just don't call or don't show up! I asked in a photography group about it and they said that's normal here.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-27-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
Tell me again all the positives that made you come back to Maui, because the vast majority of your posts are overwhelming negative.
I got a job and quality of life is better than Houston...

You know what I cannot stand? People who put things in terms of "positive" and "negative".

What you should think in terms of is "reality".

The other roommate at that Wailea house was a personal trainer. He said he didn't want news on the TV because of the "negative vibes". I guess people like living in a positivity bubble? That's a really shallow and somewhat disturbing way to live.

I love Maui, that's why it pisses me off that no one else has the decency to call the police when a guy is beating his wife, or that so many places here are becoming run down for no real reason, or that the county won't enforce regulations on vacation rentals.

Sorry if you think wanting to find a place to rent close to work in the state with the most expensive gas is unreasonable. Or I guess to be at least told "I don't want to rent my room to you" instead of the person just ending contact.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-27-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Aren't there hundreds of other options on the mainland with great jobs and high quality of life over Houston?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 PM

242 posts, read 392,308 times
Quote:

You know what I cannot stand? People who put things in terms of "positive" and "negative".

What you should think in terms of is "reality".

The other roommate at that Wailea house was a personal trainer. He said he didn't want news on the TV because of the "negative vibes". I guess people like living in a positivity bubble? That's a really shallow and somewhat disturbing way to live.

I love Maui, that's why it pisses me off that no one else has the decency to call the police when a guy is beating his wife, or that so many places here are becoming run down for no real reason, or that the county won't enforce regulations on vacation rentals.

Sorry if you think wanting to find a place to rent close to work in the state with the most expensive gas is unreasonable. Or I guess to be at least told "I don't want to rent my room to you" instead of the person just ending contact.
I'm not buying it, Wink. You knew the "reality" of living in Hawaii was jobs go to families/connections, you knew gas prices were higher than the mainland, you knew landlords operated differently, you knew about Island-time.
You lived here, so you can't say you were unaware.

Houston may not be the place for you, but it doesn't seem like Maui is either. In fact, I'd be really interested to see the number of posts who wrote complaining about your year in Houston vs the last 4 months you've spent back on Maui. My guess is that you've openly complained a lot more about Maui since returning than you did while in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui