Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times

Advertisements

[quote=nmnita;57217513]and did it or does it really hurt anyone or anything? It was worth a try and probably still is. Good moves are not made by not trying.

WMac70

So tell us, how do you know so much? Are you involved to a degree where you know he is laughing his head off and Trump is to dumb to see this? Or maybe, it would be better to say, "in my opinion" cause this is all it is, opinion. There is a huge difference between opinion and fact. You seem to think you know so much but do you really?[/QUOTE]

Ok, nmnita has new rules. Everyone who posts something has to put the disclaimer in that post "This is in my opinion".

Really ????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 10:52 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
[quote=WMak70;57217994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and did it or does it really hurt anyone or anything? It was worth a try and probably still is. Good moves are not made by not trying.

WMac70

So tell us, how do you know so much? Are you involved to a degree where you know he is laughing his head off and Trump is to dumb to see this? Or maybe, it would be better to say, "in my opinion" cause this is all it is, opinion. There is a huge difference between opinion and fact. You seem to think you know so much but do you really?[/QUOTE]

Ok, nmnita has new rules. Everyone who posts something has to put the disclaimer in that post "This is in my opinion".

Really ????????
No, just a select few who are too stubborn to know the difference.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
[quote=WMak70;57217994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and did it or does it really hurt anyone or anything? It was worth a try and probably still is. Good moves are not made by not trying.

WMac70

Really ????????
Guess what? I didn't say you had to do anything but I do think if you claim something you need to be able to back it up with fact, otherwise it is just an opinion. Am I not right about that?

Old 01-30-2020, 01:46 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Matt Gutman Suspended Over Kobe Report
So one thing that I take from this is when someone at ABC gets it wrong, ABC suspends that person. (Or they did this time.) Good. That's what they should do. It will teach him and others to be right next time they want to be first.

I saw the report on Facebook that it was the whole family. I can't remember what news agency and now that I think about it, it may have been a friend who said they saw it somewhere. Dan Patrick, a sports anchor back in the day with ESPN and a talk show host later used to joke about the current state f the media that "first and wrong is still first."

Old 01-30-2020, 02:40 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So one thing that I take from this is when someone at ABC gets it wrong, ABC suspends that person. (Or they did this time.) Good. That's what they should do. It will teach him and others to be right next time they want to be first.

I saw the report on Facebook that it was the whole family. I can't remember what news agency and now that I think about it, it may have been a friend who said they saw it somewhere. Dan Patrick, a sports anchor back in the day with ESPN and a talk show host later used to joke about the current state f the media that "first and wrong is still first."
Exactly. I also saw this post on FTVLive about a segment a sportscaster from WFAA in Dallas did in regards to the media embarrassing themselves over the Kobe coverage and he's spot on, especially when he mentions that hardly anyone ever remembers where they first heard breaking news anyways:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/20...s-take-on-kobe

I can only remember one specific time when I heard breaking news and remembered specifically where I was, what I was doing, and where I heard it. It is forever ingrained in my memory. When FOX news first reported that Princess Diana had passed away years ago. I think they jumped the gun because they went to commercial, and when they returned, there was no mention of it for a few minutes. Later, the official word came in.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Exactly. I also saw this post on FTVLive about a segment a sportscaster from WFAA in Dallas did in regards to the media embarrassing themselves over the Kobe coverage and he's spot on, especially when he mentions that hardly anyone ever remembers where they first heard breaking news anyways
That is a good point. I used to work in the media and cannot remember who was first even on stories I worked on. Breaking news has always been tricky Sure you want to be first, but it was always more important to me to be right. I was usually the one tuning in the live shots, so actually it was more important to me to be on air. Getting it right was above my pay grade, LOL

Now with social media, the TV stations and news networks have to contend with writers who are out on stories on their own getting contacts in law enforcement or listening to scanners and the such.

It didn't help in the case with Kobe that the story was breaking on a Sunday when all the stations and networks have skeleton staff. Not making excuses, just making some points. In the end, this guy who got suspended only has himself to blame even if a news producer was telling him to say it. If he had said, who confirmed it? And the producer said some other news source, and he said get back to me when it is officially confirmed, he'd be a hero at ABC today

Come to think of it, I was watching MSNBC, everyone's favorite here, and I wondered what we taking them so long to announce that one of is daughters had been onboard when other news outlets had. Maybe they were waiting for official confirmation

Old 01-30-2020, 03:49 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Matt Gutman Suspended Over Kobe Report

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/20...pends-reporter
has he been replaced with that MSNBC female reporting about the Lakers the other day?

Gutman looked like a pinhead, with a head the size of a grapefruit..Why does anyone listen to their drivel anymore?

Old 01-30-2020, 07:27 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
has he been replaced with that MSNBC female reporting about the Lakers the other day?

Gutman looked like a pinhead, with a head the size of a grapefruit..Why does anyone listen to their drivel anymore?
Because the alternative is FAUX News, now that one will really make your head spin.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
If ABC were a newspaper I wouldnt even use it line the bottom of a bird cage....

Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Let's look at this in a slightly different context. What if some world leader had met with Adolph Hitler back in the day, and tried to negotiate some peace plan with him...…….a plan that would have included Hitler stopping his war machine efforts ? Do you think anything could have made Hitler change his plans ?

Same with KJU, he is a madman, is power drunk, and has his own agenda. Trump can meet with him until the cows come home, and Kim will sit there, nod, shake his hand, and as soon as Trump is back on that plane home, Kim is right back to working on his nukes and missiles. He doesn't even wait for Air Force One to leave the tarmac before he is on the air saying the complete opposite of what Trump will say about the meeting.

Kim is laughing his butt off at Trump right now, and Trump is too dumb to realize it, or take any of his advisors suggestions on how to deal with this idiot.
Wow... I guess it’s just another case of TDS since I don’t know how Trump got pulled into this since it’s about Kobe and ABC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media