Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,747 times

Advertisements

I am an educated African American female looking to relocate to Memphis. As a single female with no family in the Memphis area, safety is very important! I am looking to rent an apartment for less than $550.00 a month. I am use to city living as I am currently residing in St. Louis, MO. Are there any SAFE inexpensive areas in Memphis? If so, what areas would you recommend? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
There are tons of areas. What else are you looking for? In the city? Suburbs? How long of a commute to work and where is it? Near nightlife? Walkable to restaurants? Renting a house or apt? Yard? Dog?

Less than $550 might be pushing it if you want a safe area though. That's pretty low for a large city like Memphis. Unfortunately, rent prices are driven by the safety of the neighborhood, not really how great of an apt it is.

Midtown would have some cheaper old duplexes for you. Cordova might have some cheap so-so apts in big complexes.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,747 times
I'm looking to move in the city near nightlife. I'm currently in the early research stage of relocating, therefore, I am still seeking employment.

While I would love to pay $550 for rent, I do understand the importance of safety. I rather be safe than pay cheap rent!

Thank you so much for giving me a starting place to look for apartments.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM

232 posts, read 796,188 times
Cordova, the Sycamore View/Whitten Rd area, and midtown would be about the only decently safe areas for that amount.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM

So all suburbs are out then?

Your main options are downtown or midtown. There are apts in east Memphis of course, but that's not really "near nightlife" like downtown and midtown. You could get something old for that price in midtown, easy. Probably not downtown, unless it's a very small apt/studio. Is that what you are looking for?

Downtown is the only area walkable. If you lived within a few blocks of Cooper Young or Overton Square, that could be walkable. But outside of downtown, you have to drive to get anywhere.

Downtown is a mix of everyone. Midtown is very earthy, new school hippie, artsy, college studenty, things like that Great small restaurants and bars. Downtown tends to be more frat boyish, touristy, and on the weekends is very urban with the dance clubs. However, there are some great bars and restaurants there too, for all ages/types.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 PM

The Exchange Building downtown is about $550 for a 1br. Also, Greenlaw and The Metropolitan are about that much, though I think they are more 'uptown'. I think those are about the only options in that range in the downtown area. Midtown should have plenty.

*edit: I found this page on the uptown apts: Uptown Memphis - Home Page

Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Uptown would be a bit of a walk, but it is downtown. Uptown is a huge area; the apts right on 3rd at 240 are walkable, but the rest of Uptown, more north, wouldn't be at all.

Didn't the Exchange Bldg get turned into condos or am I confused with another of the two hundred apt to condo converts?

Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM

The last time I checked they were still apts, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
For $550, you could easily find a 1-BR apartment in a subdivided house in Midtown (three-plex, four-plex, etc.). Personally, I'd much prefer that over an apartment complex (though I currently live in an apartment complex).

Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Actually I saw today...you are right. Exchange Bldg has 1 BR's from $400. That's dirt cheap. I'd be pretty scared to see what the apts are like. 2 BR's were from $450 or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: