Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,472 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Memphis to obtain teaching jobs within the city. Can anyone provide any information about possible housing options? We're not interested in living in an unsafe area, and we would like to live in a nearby county in a nice suburban area. Ideally, it would be an area that would aviod a long commute to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
These questions have been asked many times on this forum. I'd suggest searching for answers already on here, and coming back with more specific questions if you still have any.

Basically any suburb is safe, as is a lot of Memphis. Where you want to live will end up depending on a lot of other factors besides safety.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM

469 posts, read 970,657 times
Welcome, WashCaps fans!
We are excited that you might be coming to teach. Good people add to the new and improving city environment in Memphis. Fresh faces and inspired leadership for the kids to see is going to take us where we need to go. Big new announcements from the likes of Mitsubishi, Electrolux, and various major worldwide distributors are heard weekly for Memphis now, and they will be searching for well educated and motivated employees who will come from your classrooms.
I lived in and also near D.C. and enjoyed experiencing the things that are uniquely Washington, but by contrast when I moved my family to Memphis I lost the multiple rush hour traffic, the over priced housing, the lack of cohesive city spirit (in some ways), and the suburban crowding 25 to 30 miles out. You have the beginnings of these things and more in Memphis, but not on quite the scale you've seen. While I miss the Maryland Crabs and crabcakes and a little busier circuit of concert performances, they are somewhat replaced by the real deal in Pork BBQ shoulder and ribs and outdoor festivals honoring The Hog, The Sunset, Memphis Blues, Memphis Rock n Roll, Italy, Greece and whatever country Memphis In May is featuring each year, plus a summer concert series in the Botanic Gardens with acts like Diana Ross, Crosby Stills & Nash, Moody Blues, hometown guy Al Green, and on & on. I digress!
Bedroom communities like Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, etc. and unincorporated Shelby County have had access to higher rated public schools, but there is currently a move by the City School System to force consolidation of city/county schools, so stand by on that one. There is always Northern Mississippi Memphis burbs, but it's not quite, well Memphis, but they do have The River Kings Ice Hockey Team playing in a decent arena. Come on down and be on the leading edge of the upswing.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks! We're still in the interview process, but everything is looking up! Yes, it really sounds like Memphis is really a growing changing place. Glad to hear that I will still be able to watch some live ice hockey! From what we have heard, the housing market is great, escpecially compared to any housing in Maryland. Also, the music scence sounds great. I will put up another post when we find out where we end up teaching. Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
There are plenty of safe areas in the county, and in the city as well. No need to go to other counties with bad school districts and not much to do.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 AM

107 posts, read 312,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
There are plenty of safe areas in the county, and in the city as well. No need to go to other counties with bad school districts and not much to do.
Agreed. No need to give yourself such a long commute. While there are several areas you may want to consider, with housing prices where they are right now, if I wanted suburban, I would look in parts of east memphis and the suburb of Germantown (zip code 38139 and 38138). By east memphis, I mean the part of town traditionally referred to by that name (zip codes 38120, 38117, eastern part of 38111, and part of 38119) , not hickory hill or cordova or other areas that may be at the current geographic eastern border. This is quite a large area with some neighborhoods being more desirable than others. That being said, you can probably get more house/land for your money in some of the other suburbs (collierville, bartlett, etc.) than you can in Germantown or the more desirable parts of East Memphis, but that would be in exchange for location.

If your aversion to living in the city is more about safety than suburbia, there are several parts other parts of the city that do not have the crime problem that you may be envisioning. In addition to the area of east memphis I mentioned above, you could look in Central Gardens, the Evergreen Historic district (just west of the zoo, overton park, and rhodes college), the south bluffs (along with the south main area and parts of downtown proper), mud island, chickasaw gardens (not as affordable), etc; this is not meant to be a comprehensive list. When you visit, the best way to get a feel for a neighborhood in the memphis area is to drive around.

Last edited by one opinion; 02-19-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM

80 posts, read 267,576 times
Oooh...more hockey fans moving to Memphis. (Love Ovie! Except when he scores on my Preds. None of that, now. )

East Memphis, Germantown, & Collierville are great areas to consider. I've lived in the East Memphis/Germantown area for almost 10 years. Great shopping, restaurants, banks, doctors, dentists, hospitals, etc. Quiet and safe. Convenient to the Expressway. Best public schools in the area, too. Collierville is a bit far out (drive) for my liking, but it's a great 'burb.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Wow guys! This is all really great news! We're super excited about this wonderful oppurtunity to cometo a great city! We really appreciate all of the input that everyone has given us so far. Sounds like everyone in Memphis is very nice and helpful! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis