Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
You're right! I was in a hurry typing and when I would drive that way, I always made a stop in Bartlett and just lumped it all together. It is still on Summer.
Darn! You had my hopes up that he'd opened a place closer to my home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 70,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Ditto.

Do you have other job offers elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I stick up for Memphis and it does have good aspects. However, if I had to choose between Memphis and _________ there are few (metro) cities that I would not choose over Memphis.
Memphis job is better in terms of position and how interesting the job is. + We are interested in places with reasonable prices on real estate. ++ I want to try something new, some quiet place to catch a break for few years. I am kind of sick of Bay Area (sorry, all CA-lovers).

Where would you like to live, Pearlbob? Why are you still in Memphis?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 AM
PTA

6 posts, read 20,754 times
Default frozen beef

There is a new freezer at Cafe San Francisco in the Pinch that carries local, natural (although not sure if it's certified organic) frozen beef.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:17 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I would never call Memphis a quiet place. There is a lot of crime here, tons of problems with govt, schools, etc. Just don't watch the news

I am here for work. Memphis does have a few major, international corporations that bring in a lot of people who may or may not like Memphis (Fed Ex, Autozone, St. Jude, International Paper, etc...)

Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM

43 posts, read 88,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
I don't think people have negative thoughts about organic food. I think the only reason that people don't purchase more organic foods is the increased cost. There is a good farmer's market downtown on Saturdays that usually has a nice selection of organic foods (and meat). I've noticed a lot of my patients are incorporating more organic foods in their diets, even the poor ones. Everyone can appreciate the better taste of organic foods, especially in a place where the entire culture revolves around food.
Where exactly is the market downtown? No one has been able to give me good directions....or maybe I don't know how to follow them well! :-) I've heard that that particular market is very good and the restauraners (SP?) buy their food supplies there.
I've been to the Agricenter, and while it's okay, it's not open all year....Is the one downtown open just Saturdays? Do you need to be there early?

Thanks for the info!
Do they take credit cards & checks, or is it cash only?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 PM

I believe the farmer's market downtown is closed for the year. It's a summer thing on Saturday mornings. It's located between Main and Front at GE Patterson, in the big yard/parking area behind the train station.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM

43 posts, read 88,100 times
Default Farmer's markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I believe the farmer's market downtown is closed for the year. It's a summer thing on Saturday mornings. It's located between Main and Front at GE Patterson, in the big yard/parking area behind the train station.
Thanks Pearlbob......I'll still check out the location (Then I'll be able to find it when it is open!...I get lost a lot! )

Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM

It is a summer thing only; not open now.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 AM

309 posts, read 900,658 times
Smile Organic food in Memphis

Wild Oats is a Health Foods Supermarket on Poplar and Colonial right next to
the Office Depot and across from the Malco Paradiso Moviehouse. They have just about everything you'd want. Yes, organic food. There are also new restaurants opening up that serve organic and vegetarian dishes. I know Memphis loves Barbecue and pork but there are lots of other choices.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 AM

11 posts, read 95,866 times
Diversity of restaurants in Memphis is good.

Organic foods abound at Fresh Market in E. Memphis and G-town.

Now, as to the differences between the Bay Area of California and here ...
having lived in both I can say that there are very few similarities.

Biggest difference is weather; it takes some adjustment. Hot/humid in summer, but otherwise it's not bad at all. Cold in winter with some warmer days and a pleasant spring and fall.

People are another big difference. People here are more open and friendly, far less self-absorbed. I'd say the people are the number one reason to live in and/or raise a family here. You could do far, far worse.

Religion plays a large role in the lives of many here whereas it isn't always so obvious in California. Churches employ parking lot attendants!

Families give Germantown high marks for its low crime, good to excellent housing (far more for the money than in the Bay Area), community activities and pride of home ownership (actually, the last is evident in many neighborhoods throughout Memphis).
EL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis