Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 AM

39 posts, read 289,486 times

Advertisements

I am an African American (not "Afro American") and I happened upon this forum as I was researching the Memphis suburbs. I am currently house hunting. Many of you do sound like racists to me, but I won't get into that. I have young children and am looking for the same things that you guys are - good schools, low taxes, safety, etc. My family has a household income of over $100,000 and we are good, honest, educated, church-going people. To suggest that people moving to the Memphis area stay away from Blacks is insulting and outrageous. What you want to stay away from is the poverty stricken areas. Where there is poverty, there is crime. Sure, those areas in Memphis are majority black. I don't want to live there either. But there are many successful minorities in the Memphis area as well who aren't out to harm white people. I'm looking at Olive Branch and Germantown, so don't flee if I become your neighbor.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Big Apple, assuming you are not a troll (your first post and all makes me skeptical) I scanned the 40 odd posts and found only 3 mentioning race and 2 were simply stating the dynamics of what is commonly called "white flight" without taking a side one way or the other, or, more clearly, condeming it.

By the way your "American-African". You're american first, and your welcome to live wherever you want in this country.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 AM

I just started house hunting, which is why I just found this forum, so no, I am not a troll. My response is specifically to those who suggest staying away from blacks. If that doesn't apply to you, so be it. I am definitely familiar with white flight. All I'm saying is that there is black flight too, for the same reasons, and not all blacks are criminals. I want the same things for my family as everyone else on this forum. And I actually agree with many of the posts here about the crime and corruption in the city of Memphis.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM

90 posts, read 467,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigApple View Post
.... I'm looking at Olive Branch and Germantown, so don't flee if I become your neighbor.
I am considering moving to the area too. I had a feeling that Germantown is not very inclusive, in other words, it does not seem to welcome new residents or new comers... correct me if i'm wrong, anyone. Thanks. Collierville is a little better in that regard. G-town is more of a suburb and Collierville is more of a standalone city by itself... imho

Old 11-04-2006, 12:26 PM

50 posts, read 122,278 times
BigApple:

You soon will be able to judge by your own experience in Memphis. I already understand what the 'real deal' is.

For example, in your post, you defined yourself (not described) as an "African American". How you choose to 'define yourself' is at the crux and heart of freedom and individuality. That is the American Way.

There are others, if you noticed, that believe it is in their purview to admonish you when you seek to define yourself. Some of them STILL feel it acceptable to correct you and define YOU.

Example: the poster following you suggested " By the way your(sic) American African"....and 'your(sic) American first'

This retort is telling isn't it ? People tending to define others with or without your permission or agreement.

Clearly it is your right to 'define' yourself without the nomenclature that is 'acceptable' to Anglos. This right seems basic, but still, others give themselves permission to interject what they deem appropriately definitional.
Odd stuff.....but transparent as it gets I think.

Additionally, when people incorrectly use 'your' as the contraction for "you are", shows something interesting. The contraction for 'you ARE' is "YOU'RE"

People never cease

Old 11-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Wow I've never had a post challenged via a geo-political debate all based on spelling and grammer. That's a new one. Perhaps Shekler can answer. Oh but that login got banned real quick didn't it, LOL?

That's a new low, a person with a "restricted" rating creating a second log on just to agree with yourself.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:12 AM

I initially chose not to address the "American African" comment, but since it has been brought up, I think it's ridiculous for someone else to tell me who or what I am. I've never filled out an application that gave me the choice of "American African". I am an American - born and raised. But because society forces me to further identify myself, I chose to go by African American or Black. I have never worn an "Afro" and probably never will, so don't define me by a hairstyle. And as far as being welcome to live wherever I like, that's bull too. It's sad that in this day and age, I am still not "welcome" in many communities simply because of my race. I may legally have that freedom, but I know that I'm not welcome, and that is confirmed by some of the posts on this forum.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:38 PM

BigApple - I respect your opinion although I don't agree that race is that big a factor with the majority of people nowadays. On the other hand I am not in your shoes and I don't share your experiences regarding racial discrimination. My post was not to label you but rather to tell you that I consider you an American, doesn't matter if you are black, white, red, yellow, purple. It was meant as a show of respect.

MisterMiester or Shekler or whatever you are calling yourself today - the reason you were banned is you violated forum rules for creating two logins and you were actually POSTING TO YOURSELF (that's just wierd). And, come on, your rating was almost negative, you must have gotten lots of people angry, and you were on "restricted" rating whatever that means. Anyways, bye, I expect this login of yours to be banned as well before the end of the day. Hope they don't just outright block your ISP.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
I have lived in Memphis all of my life. Would I recommend moving here to anyone? No. And this little topic is why. You can't do anything in Memphis without bringing up the topic of race. It permeates everything. I live in the "city", Midtown to be exact. Midtown is pretty, etc., but, it still isn't worth it. In every direction from my "nice" house, are abandoned buildings. Stores that are "no more". Memphis is mismanaged and expensive. I can no longer justify paying these exorbitant property taxes when I get nothing in return. Memphis city schools...a joke...just look at the recent report card. D's and F's. Crime rate? Outrageous. Move to the burbs? Why? This whole area has gone to crap. I'm sorry...I hate to say that to someone thinking of moving here, but it's true. This isn't the same Memphis I grew up in. Point is, Memphis isn't safe. It likely isn't if I am a victim of a crime, but when. We've driven her into the ground. I hope Memphis makes a comeback and gets her act together. Lifetime Memphian, moving in May. The week of child killings over the past summer sealed the deal. They say...well, the crime is only in certain areas, the crime is gang related. Somehow, that doesn't make me feel better. Oh, honey, it's okay, it's just the Crips. What?!? You see, those areas are our areas. Memphis is our area. Memphis is too busy segregating to fix the problem.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHStaffley View Post
I have lived in Memphis all of my life. Would I recommend moving here to anyone? No. And this little topic is why. You can't do anything in Memphis without bringing up the topic of race. It permeates everything.
Amen to that. It had me apologizing for a remark when essentially none was needed (apologizing for labeling someone an american? Someone actually had the nerve to give me a negative rating for that.).

It's sad that the most noticable racist in Memphis is the Mayor of Memphis.

You tell me BigApple that you are not welcome in certain communities, tell me where exactly where would I be welcome living in Whitehaven (a misnomer on the name), or anywhere between the MS border to just south of Beale Street for that matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis