Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,405 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on the differences between the two? Which has more families? Neither seems to have a "heart" or walkable "downtown" area....
How does one figure out which has more community events or active neighborhood groups? We live near an area where there are strong community groups that congregate around community pools and have neighborhood babysitting coops and things. Anyone know of something like this?

We saw two homes we liked, one on San Augustine in Germantown and another on Eulas ridge cove in Collierville.

Do people in these areas tend to join country clubs for family connections or just for golf and tennis?

I understand the schools are comparable..is that true? Any differences according to you as locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 29,053 times
this doesn't help you much, but g-town is WAY prettier. they have laws restricting obtrusive signs and have preserved much of the gorgeous west tennessee hardwoods that were here before whitey (don't get mad). in my experience, collierville is more "let's bulldoze all of the trees, sell the lumber and build a subdivision of cheaply made yet gigantic brick boxes"..:|

oh, and all of my friends who went to houston high (in gtown) got mad awesome educations with tons of advanced placements, foreign language options and extracurriculars.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,767 times
Ok, I lived in Germantown and LOVED it. It has turned into more of a "ritzy" area, but there are still affordable homes. There is old Germantown (which I don't know if you would consider that like a downtown) but it is over by the Commissary and the OLD train-station. There are also some older homes (from the early 1900's late 1890's) and shops. It is walkable (as long as a train is not coming and you get on Germantown Road). I think Germantown is the best choice for you.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
Germantown is prettier; however, if you're looking for a downtown area, you'll be sadly disappointed. Collierville has an actual downtown area.

Personally, if I could afford it, I would pick Germantown hands-down. Not even a contest, imo.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,460 times
I strongly disagree that Germantown is prettier, have you driven down Shay Rd or Bray Station Rd in Collierville. lately? Germantown may have more mature trees, but some homes are much older, and are showing their age. You are much closer to Memphis, and there are some parts of Germantown that have a Mempis feel to them, and traffic can be much worse in Germantown.

There are some beautiful subdivisions in Collierville. You'll find younger families in Collierville, and more people send their kids to public schools in Collierville, so there is more family interaction (bus stop chat is a great way for you and your kids to make connections).

Also, the Collierville Town Square is really beautiful, and has many family-friendly events.

As far as schools, the elementary schools are fantastic everywhere. I think Germantown has a better high school with Houston, although both Collierville High and Germantown High have good programs as well. Middle schools are comparable, although Schilling I would personally rank lowest, it's still OK.

A couple of country clubs have social memberships, Wyndyke and Ridgeway, have social memberships.

Good luck in your search/

Last edited by ColliervilleMom; 12-03-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,767 times
Ok...the Collierville area is nice.. but is not at all nice compared to Germantown. Many people send their kids to Public Schools in Germantown.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
To me, Collierville is--quite simply--the artificial 'cookie cutter' type suburb that gets lambasted on this site from time to time. Germantown is older. Its trees are more mature and prominent. Development and growth are controlled there. Germantown is more 'old money', which, imo, is much less pretentious than the nouveau riche Collierville.

Looking at the older houses and tree-lined streets in Germantown and comparing them to the McMansions and sticks that pass for trees in Collierville is like comparing filet mignon to bologna.

Collierville does have a cute town square, though.

That's just my opinion.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
To me, Collierville is--quite simply--the artificial 'cookie cutter' type suburb that gets lambasted on this site from time to time. Germantown is older. Its trees are more mature and prominent. Development and growth are controlled there. Germantown is more 'old money', which, imo, is much less pretentious than the nouveau riche Collierville.

Looking at the older houses and tree-lined streets in Germantown and comparing them to the McMansions and sticks that pass for trees in Collierville is like comparing filet mignon to bologna.

Collierville does have a cute town square, though.

That's just my opinion.
Quite a strong opinion, I still disagree, and I think you are generalizing about Collierville by driving down Poplar. There are many beautiful areas. WC Johnson Park, the greenbelt, bike trails... And to say the people are pretentious is ridiculous, the people I've met in the year I've lived here have been the most generous, sincere and welcoming people I've ever met in any city I've lived in.

I could not find data for Collierville, but here is the Germantown private school enrollment:
Private vs. public school enrollment:
Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 1,427
Here: 28.9%
Tennessee: 9.5%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 912
Here: 29.3%
Tennessee: 10.4%

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

35 posts, read 130,682 times
I think that Germantown is better for the $500k+ price range, but other than that, Collierville has it beaten hands-down. You can get newer (1995+), well-maintained homes in Collierville starting in the $225k range. The homes in Germantown in that price range are pretty old and not terribly well upkept. I think that the community offerings are somewhat similar, but the Germantown police dept tends to be a bit busier than Collierville's. Collierville is a bit further out, so I think the spill-over crime tends to end in Germantown. But both are safe communities. I think Collierville leans towards younger families than Germantown does.

Bottom line: I've lived in Collierville and still have a lot of friends both there and in Germantown, and both communities are lovely. It just depends on how much money you're willing to spend on a house and how much time you have to update one if necessary.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 PM

10 posts, read 36,030 times
Collierville is the place to be. Very community oriented, family friendly, housing prices are more reasonable, everything is new! The town square is adorable & fun. In the summer there is live music on the square on Thursday and Friday evenings.
I would look at houses in both and then make your own decision but I think you'll find newer communities in C'ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis