Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times

Advertisements

Anyone have opinons on this area of town - East of White Station, but North of Walnut Grove, South of Sam Cooper? I think its the 38120 zip code. There seems to be inexpensive older homes there, but the area seems okay. Why are the houses there so much cheaper than some of the other East Memphis areas? (other than the size of the houses of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Anyone have opinons on this area of town - East of White Station, but North of Walnut Grove, South of Sam Cooper? I think its the 38120 zip code. There seems to be inexpensive older homes there, but the area seems okay. Why are the houses there so much cheaper than some of the other East Memphis areas? (other than the size of the houses of course)
this area was just discussed here //www.city-data.com/forum/7538701-post13.html
Short answer is that this n'hood has more working class than some of the more expensive areas of east Memphis. Not a lot of lawyers, doctors, or CEO's living there, more like nurses, teachers, mid-level mgt.

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-20-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Good area. Seems like a lot of old people live there.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times
I concur with what's been said above. I'm familiar with the area and have had relatives who lived there since the time when many of those homes were built. That area was built as east Memphis was gradually extended during the '50s on. I had relatives who went to Richland school, which served that neighborhood. I think that school was well regarded, but can't say about today. At this point there are a good many retirees who live there. I give the area a thumbs up.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 02-21-2009 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM

62 posts, read 287,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post

believe me, there's a reason why it's cheap comparatively

one thing it's too close to an interstate spur, i.e. Sam Cooper

it's always been a fairly well-kept 'pocket', but it's never been considered East Memphis in the true sense, which brings higher prices

really I think it's sort of a forgotten about area, in many ways---is it bad ? no, is it great ? no

Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times
I can't take issue with that, except to add that White Station does not have an access point to Sam Cooper Blvd. The closest interstate access points are 240/Walnut Grove, and to the west over at Perkins/Sam Cooper. The whole of the northern tier of what I've always called east Memphis actually borders close to Sam Cooper and it's generally considered a real desirable part of town. As you go west toward Mendenhall, then Perkins, the homes get more expensive, but are just as close to S. Cooper and I might add to Summer.

Anyway, while we're on the subject I notice that many refer to "East Memphis" whereas others call it "east Memphis". At one time South Memphis was actually its own town and I grew up used to seeing the name capitalized. The east on the other hand was never like that and always, I think, somewhat more vague and generalized as an area. There was never an official East Memphis...none of which means anything because we all know what we're talking about...it's just sort of interesting.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:47 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
Anyway, while we're on the subject I notice that many refer to "East Memphis" whereas others call it "east Memphis". At one time South Memphis was actually its own town and I grew up used to seeing the name capitalized. The east on the other hand was never like that and always, I think, somewhat more vague and generalized as an area. There was never an official East Memphis...none of which means anything because we all know what we're talking about...it's just sort of interesting.
I didn't know that, it's kind of a fun fact about Memphis. As far as east vs. East, I just realized that for some reason I think of 'east Memphis' as inside the I-240 loop and 'East Memphis' as it's own seperate area outside the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: