Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM

754 posts, read 2,816,636 times

Advertisements

Ditto Arlington, and Lakeland as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM

235 posts, read 1,358,079 times
Hmm... I'd be a little hesitant on Overton High. Don't go west of Cherry UNLESS: you are N of Quince/Rhodes... then don't go past Oak Ridge/the University (when south of southern).

Last edited by 2nomadic4me; 08-20-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 AM

69 posts, read 110,325 times
I really appreciate all of the input/info. It's so overwhelming to be in this situation where you don't really know anything about an area except: Memphis has TERRIBLE crime

Please keep suggestions/ideas/input/info coming!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,381,866 times
Try not to get stuck on that. People have warped opinions of this city before they move here, which will inevitably lead them to not liking it no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr325 View Post
I really appreciate all of the input/info. It's so overwhelming to be in this situation where you don't really know anything about an area except: Memphis has TERRIBLE crime

Please keep suggestions/ideas/input/info coming!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 AM

93 posts, read 359,937 times
I second that Bob, I have been here 18 years with no problems, its like any other city, you have to know where to go and not to go. There are not too many "Mayberry's" around anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Try not to get stuck on that. People have warped opinions of this city before they move here, which will inevitably lead them to not liking it no matter what.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Millington - too far and not enough to do

Bartlett - too close for some

Collierville - nice 'burb

Germantown - nicer 'burb, if you can afford it

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
I second that Bob, I have been here 18 years with no problems, its like any other city, you have to know where to go and not to go. There are not too many "Mayberry's" around anymore.

Hear, hear!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
I think Bartlett is your best bet, especially since your husband's job will be there. It's family oriented and it is an efficient, secure, and clean community on mostly flat land that has a very open atmosphere. The Bartlett Police force have a strong presence in the community and are a source of pride for many of the residents who live there.

A lot of the neighborhood shopping centers are new and many neighborhoods have walking trails around ponds that are quite pretty. There are several nice little parks, particularly the little neighborhood park on Yale Road. The Wolfchase Area is nearby and that's where you'll find many of the major chain stores and restaurants and it is the site of one of the most popular malls in the area.

There is decent access from Bartlett to the main traffic arteries. For a large city, the traffic in Memphis isn't very bad at all but I've lived on the east coast so I guess it's all relative.

The worst part of living in the Memphis area in my opinion is the attitude of many of its residents. The self-loathing that you find in many of these posts is very prevalent in the region and it is a major contributor to the malaise that grips the city. This self-defeating attitude seems to get worse the further removed from the city you go since the people who hate Memphis the most have a tendency to move the farthest away.

Many of the people who choose to live in East Memphis, Midtown, or the renovated downtown areas are happy living there and they have a whole different attitude about what this city can achieve in the future, but we all recognize that Memphis needs a lot of improvement. An important key to success is to get past the racial polarization that divides the city.

Downtown Memphis is a fun, funky kind of place that stays up late. I really like the East Memphis/Germantown area where you will find the natural and organic food stores, high end shopping and that urban-cool, young professional kind of feel. You can get there in 15-30 minutes from Bartlett.

If you like city parks, then you might want to consider your proximity to Shelby Farms. It is one of the largest city parks in the country and it is a really, really, nice place, complete with walking trails, bike trails, fishing lakes, frisbee golf, etc., all in a natural setting that gets a lot of visitors on a nice day without ever seeming overcrowded.

It's a shame really that Cordova isn't even mentioned since it is being annexed by Memphis. There are a lot of really nice neighborhoods in Cordova too, incorporated and unincorporated.

Last edited by louigi; 08-22-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:54 AM

93 posts, read 359,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louigi View Post
The worst part of living in the Memphis area in my opinion is the attitude of many of its residents. The self-loathing that you find in many of these posts is very prevalent in the region and it is a major contributor to the malaise that grips the city. This self-defeating attitude seems to get worse the further removed from the city you go since the people who hate Memphis the most have a tendency to move the farthest away.
Hopefully this attitude changes with the mayoral change. But that's a whole other thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM

61 posts, read 243,040 times
As always I'm partial to Collierville and recommend it for families (not so much for partying singles though). It does sound like Bartlett is the best fit for you. Its a bit of a drive from Collierville to Bartlett so if you're going to work in Bartlett you might as well start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis